Asteroid bases

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

I believe the initial idea was that it was less a base for the mining of asteroids than a mining base that had been built into an asteroid (cheap construction material).

What remains clear is that we need new mining bases (if only, as mentioned above and other times as well, that the base is a little too similar to the priv one). One imagines there will be at least some diversity of bases based upon the quantity and location of the materials being mined. A small, mobile mining structure moving from deposit to depost, and operating in tandem with transports and storage facilites is clearly sensible in many situations, but a large centralized processing plant that would be fed by an army of tugs hauling asteroids or other larger-than-bite-sized morsels would also make sense under certain conditions.
kark88
Trader
Trader

Post by kark88 »

So what kind of model do we want, a free mining base, an attached mining base, or both? Just wondering what i should be working towards as I continue modelling it.

@Silverain
Thanks for the idea on exhaust type ports, I was kind of at a loss for other greebles to add, since the Aera are supposed to not be "too" greebled.
Kark
grendel0226
Merchant
Merchant

Post by grendel0226 »

Concept idea stolen from an X-men comic (sort of): a huge, floating mining base that looks like an asteroid (so that it blends in) that has its own sustainable life, defense systems, and propulsion (for quick getaways)

Concept altered from Asteroid M (which stands for Mackdaddy). It was one of Magneto's bases of operations, but was never used for mining or anything. It was just his Utopian dream come to fruition in earth's atmosphere.

The concept seems to work well here, which is why I brought it up.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re:

Post by pyramid »

The mesh for the last proposed base is still available. but I can only guess the quality of the current mesh. It sure looks a bit weird after importing into Blender, so I can only suppose that it requires edge_split&smooth&more_magic.
Once in a clean state, it could be unwrapped and textures.
Volunteers are ALWAYS welcome :wink:
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Asteroid bases

Post by Fendorin »

is a nice mesh but little bit complex for unwrapping