Models, format, what do i know

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Asking Guest

Models, format, what do i know

Post by Asking Guest »

Hi guys,
i've never done a 3d Artwork before so i'm a bloody newbie; here are my first questions:

1. What file format is needed to implement the model to the game?

2. Which programs are the best to create a 3d model (easy to undestand, good gui) and can save it to the (1) file format?

3. Where can i find something about the size of a model (i think you have somewhere technical specs on the bases, ships, fighters)

4. What is a damage map (a second texture for a damaged ship that i have to create)?

5. Who is responsible for the design concept of the different races and must agree with my work? (email address)

6. Does the station designer also creates the inside graphics of the station?

7. What is your experience on how long it takes to create a model with textures?

That's all for now.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

1. xmesh/bfxm, you can produce it with wings3d
2. wings3d is really easy to handle, but texturing is not really intuitive
3. for the size it depends of the class of the ship, in fact, and of the race too
4. the damage map slowly fade in your regular color map when you get hit
5. for artwork design, the responsible is JackS, you can pm him, but I should agrue that it depends, he never rejected a nice mesh, even if it's truly a "conceptual art", when an artist want to make something a bit special
6. it depends, the challenge was only asking for a mesh, no interior renders, but I know Stranj and Targon did some nice interiors renders
7. As ever it depends of your knowldege of your tools: with wings you can create a nice mesh relatively fast, but the unfolding will be hard if you want to have an easy to paint uvmap. And after it depends of how do you handle your painting program, but the more time you will be ready to spare to learn the faster you will work. Basically texturing is said to be much harder than modelling, and more boring, too ;)
I see dead polygons....
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

all the way, you can have a look in the wiki, many usefull infos and links are storde in:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwiki
I see dead polygons....
Asking Guest

What do i have to know

Post by Asking Guest »

old
3. for the size it depends of the class of the ship, in fact, and of the race too
>> Where can i find an overview with techical specs of bases (size, weapons...)

new
1. Where can i find a list of equipment/tradingstuff that needs a (new) picture?

2. Is there somewhere an overview about the races and organisations in VS? Think of a little description to learn more about the VS Universe.

3. In what resolution and file type should i send in slash screens?

4. Who is working on the characters (sitting in the bar)?

etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

lol read the wiki, and the special forum about vegastrike univers, all your answers are here
I see dead polygons....
Asking Guest

woah

Post by Asking Guest »

Ethernal i wouldn't ask if it is so easy, i'm currently lost in this website.
Except new 2 i've found not what i'm looking for, i need a guide, i need your help!
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: woah

Post by charlieg »

Asking Guest wrote:
Ethernal i wouldn't ask if it is so easy, i'm currently lost in this website.
Except new 2 i've found not what i'm looking for, i need a guide, i need your help!
D'ya have to use that obscenely large font? We can read it just fine when it's the same size as everybody else's. It's not like the larger font will coerce any answers out of us.

I recommend Blender as a 3D app. It's very good when you get into it and there are some great tutorials over at http://www.blender3d.org to help you learn how to use it. Some people say Blender is hard to use - but it really just approaches 3D editting differently to most other editors, so should be as easy to learn for an inexperienced chap like yourself as any other editor. Oh, and it's open source - always a boon.
Asking Guest

Post by Asking Guest »

D'ya have to use that obscenely large font? We can read it just fine when it's the same size as everybody else's. It's not like the larger font will coerce any answers out of us.
>It's not about getting an answer, but i really don't like this mini font you are using here. However i will take the mini font as well, seems to be the "modern style" nowadays...

Thanks for bender i will try it.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

the wiki is here http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/
browse the howtos
I see dead polygons....
Asking Guest

Post by Asking Guest »

hm, it's all there - in some way.

Are signalling lamps animated textures or how do i add them to a model?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

I see dead polygons....
Asking Guest

Post by Asking Guest »

i've read this (http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/phpwi ... ureInWings) and still have a problem
<<
The common way (I think):

* sometimes a "RMB -> Segment by -> Projection" or a "RMB -> Segment by -> Feature Detection" is a good start for this
* Select contiguous faces of a specific area
* "RMB -> Select one of the "AuvChartX" Entries"
* Do this until every face has a color
* "RMB -> Continue -> Unfolding" (or "RMB -> Continue -> Projection")
* Arrange the geometry in the AutoUV Windows so it fit best in the window
* Export Image
o Version lower than 0.98.09 (ignore the other points): "RMB in AutoUV -> Export -> select Imagefile name"
o Window->Outliner
o RMB on Image -> Export
* create a Texture from this (yeah it's not that easy ;-) )
<<
i think i i'm here now, i have an *.obj *.mtl and *.jpg file. The jpg includes my 3d model in several 2d segments. My question is, if i paint this 2d schemes now, how can i add and view them later on my 3d model in Wings3d?
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

you will not be able to use jpg in wings, you need to convert it to bmp or tga. after that you can assign the image to your uvmap, i believe yiou can do this by right clicking on your uv windows, but I didn't used wings for ages. and if you find your map too hard to paint, try to move/scale/rotate the parts to make things easyer
I see dead polygons....
Asking Guest

Post by Asking Guest »

hm. Any other suggestions for programs or is wings3d the best i can get for this task?

I'm very frustrated, i can't texture my model.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

we can deal with anything that exports to a wavefront .obj + .mtl pair
we can even deal with things that don't spit out a .mtl .... although that obviously removes any lighting settings you had.

... although, depending on the exporter, the models sometimes come out rotated and the texture coordinates upside down, but that's easy enough to fix with a few minutes of post processing :)