Contest: Retexture the Star Fortress

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I should give some details in that on blinking lights, that howto is just on volume glows.

Blinking lights only really need 3 polys each. It looks obviously fake when you're really really close up, but at any kind of distance it looks like a sphere.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

peteyg wrote:I should give some details in that on blinking lights, that howto is just on volume glows.

Blinking lights only really need 3 polys each. It looks obviously fake when you're really really close up, but at any kind of distance it looks like a sphere.
for those who oppose volumetric lighting effects in vacuum, you'd also have to count up the polygons for the enclosing light fixture :)
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

having a better way to add lights should go in the develloper wish list
I see dead polygons....
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

And who's the winner?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

well, being the lenient sort, I'll withold any rendering of judgement until I actually receive communication from strangelet (well, I'll wait at least for a while - it's possible that, with the previous extension, the firmness of the deadline was insufficiently expressed) and I don't imagine we'll have a chance to drop them all in-engine side by side and play with them until at least late monday evening (Pacific Standard Time)

so.... I can't say yet :)
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

oh duuude, you need my model? i shall mail it to thee...
- - above and beyond - -
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

here it is, the mid-res version w/tex in .obj format (not happy with the geom, gonna go back to it later)

this is my first model submitted so theres bound to be tons wrong with it, just lemme know what the damage is...

http://www.aqpm75.dsl.pipex.com/3dgalle ... ortstr.zip
- - above and beyond - -
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

IIRC, the deadline was June 20...
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Targon wrote:IIRC, the deadline was June 20...
Yeah, nothing past the deadline. Sorry strangelet, you're disqualified.

Or the reality... that this is a bit of fun with a fun project that people do for fun and that nobody really cares about the deadline ;)

Besides, only Ethereal Walker entered apart from strangelet. Gotta have more than one competitor! :)
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

charlieg wrote:
Targon wrote:IIRC, the deadline was June 20...
Or the reality... that this is a bit of fun with a fun project that people do for fun and that nobody really cares about the deadline ;)
Nobody cares abouth the contest either :lol:
BTW, does anyone think the contest like this is actualy a waste of time as many people are deemed to work on the same thing?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

strangelet wrote:here it is, the mid-res version w/tex in .obj format (not happy with the geom, gonna go back to it later)

this is my first model submitted so theres bound to be tons wrong with it, just lemme know what the damage is...

http://www.aqpm75.dsl.pipex.com/3dgalle ... ortstr.zip
you appear to have forgotten to include the .mtl materials file that corresponds to the .obj in question.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Targon wrote: BTW, does anyone think the contest like this is actualy a waste of time as many people are deemed to work on the same thing?
were we to have them often - yes. As this is the first such "contest" I know of us having, I think there may well be a pleasant novelty factor.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Targon wrote: Nobody cares abouth the contest either :lol:
I also wouldn't say that no one cares about the contest. While I (and I speak here only for myself) am assuredly not overfocused on the competitive aspect I am quite overjoyed to see quality work being produced that VS will be able to use.
etheral walker
Elite
Elite

Post by etheral walker »

making a contest is a nice way to grab many good quality meshes. In this case there is 3 competitors (even if Targon redid the design), it will allow to have differnet stations in game
I see dead polygons....
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

i'm sure that the models that were made will all find their place in VS...

-scheherazade
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Targon wrote:Nobody cares abouth the contest either :lol:
BTW, does anyone think the contest like this is actualy a waste of time as many people are deemed to work on the same thing?
That's not true. I've kept tabs on the amazing work of Ethereal/Strangelet, and many others have too. It's great to see their progress. And their modifications are awesome.

How is it a waste of time? Out of this VS has two commercial quality textured models. You call that a waste of time? What the hell do you classify as productive!?!?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

all submitted models so far are quality deserving of inclusion in Vega Strike
the winner, however, will take the place of the current Star Fortress in the game :-)
the rest will be other fantastic stations
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
StoneCold
Trader
Trader

Post by StoneCold »

wow... i just read all of that, and those are some killer models... Say, if we had more contests like this more often, we'd have ALOT of killer models then :D
Targon
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Targon »

No winner?
theguyfromsaturn

Are all the entries visible somewhere?

Post by theguyfromsaturn »

Hi there,

Browing this thread I could see the entries from Ethereal Walker and Targon, but I couldn't see anything from strangelet. I was just wondering if the entries were together somewhere.

Those two are indeed really really cool ones.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Are all the entries visible somewhere?

Post by charlieg »

theguyfromsaturn wrote:I couldn't see anything from strangelet.
It appears the pics he posted are no longer on his server (getting 404s). They were amazing quality, though, and he has submitted the models.
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

yeah i'm reorganising my web space piecemeal - the worst possible way :)

will be done soon tho, and there's a complete pictoral catalog of my work on another thread in the artwork forum - "does VS support alpha maps or what" i believe -
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... sc&start=0

all a bit WIPpy but i'm getting there... i dont actually think C4D output a .MTL file, but i loaded the .OBJ into bryce and the UV's were still intact, so either it dont need one or i can't find the .MTL in the HUUUUUGE VS units folder on my 3D drive cos i'm blind or an idiot or a blind idiot...

the matter is under investigation, gentlemen, and shortly to reach a resolution......
- - above and beyond - -
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

after a thorough investigation i can tell you that cinema 4d does not output a .mtl file but .obj files output with it seem to load up with all UVs intact in most programs, and simply need the textures reassigning... hope this isnt a problem...
- - above and beyond - -
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

strangelet wrote:after a thorough investigation i can tell you that cinema 4d does not output a .mtl file but .obj files output with it seem to load up with all UVs intact in most programs, and simply need the textures reassigning... hope this isnt a problem...
not a big one. Just a few extra minutes of work per model unless you were doing someting interesting with the material's light reflecting/emitting properties, in which case that info would be lost. I've managed to get all 3 models viewable in game now, although I still need to do some minor tweaks like axis corrections.
strangelet
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by strangelet »

oooh i'd love a screenshot of them all, i've never seen my models as units...
- - above and beyond - -