libmng

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

libmng

Post by zaydana »

I was compiling my LFS 5.1 system the other day... and I got to some general libs for X in BLFS and found libmng. Its nothing special - just an open source animation format that makes use of png compression, but it would be an interesting idea... If you used one .mng file instead of many .png files in a .ani directory, it would sure save a lot of file overhead for people downlaoding from CVS, and even save a bit of space in a release. Just an idea... And it's also got the bonus of being open-source, unlike .gif
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

the reason we use sets of png is that sometimes artists want to reuse the same pngs in different animations :-)
for instance you could have 2 animations, one going forward one going backwards
or you could have a bunch of lights going down a launch bay-- lighting up in a particular order

this can all be done by reuse the png files in a different order ;-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
zaydana
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by zaydana »

ah k then. I dunno if this is just a stupid idea to create more work, but would it be an idea to put all the .png and .ani (or whatever they are) files for one animation into a single data file? Yuo could still have different animations using the same sprites, but I guess it would probably be useless work ;)

Whatever happened to that data packing thing that was happenign a long time ago in a release far far away? I remember somebody was quite serious about it?
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

if they're in the same data fike then how could another animation use parts from that data file

it's silly and more work
iif it ain't broke don't fix it
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/