Hurleybird's shipyards

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Hurleybird's shipyards

Post by hurleybird »

Yet another shipyard thread :D

what I'm working on now is a very alien looking cap ship. I will probably try to make them into a set for inclusion in the game. Im trying to give them a sort of underwater race feel. The ship im making now has very large forward firing guns, but very little defenses. It's a pure cap-ship destroyer. I'll also make a capship for cargo, for fighter defense, a carrier, and maybe a few others. I have no ideas what the fighters should look like now. I'll try to go with the very evil, scare the poop out of you style.

more images can be found here http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/users/hurleybird/

also, could i get some suggestions about texturing this thing?
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

Also, any suggestion what race this would go good with?
scheherazade
Developer
Developer

Post by scheherazade »

terran... some creepy drone thingy...

or you could do a new race, one with this sorta style.

i think its really good, and a very feasable looking design too.
the style is convincing, as far as these things go.

feels like maybe it would work well with a wandering sorta race that is not involved much with anything... have them have slightly larger ships, with the sphere-meets-edge sorta look to them. they could make appearances... come and go their own way. maybe only be interested in trade. and trade evenly with all.

possibly be superior in power, so no one attempts to stop them.

could be that buying enemy-items could be done via docking with them.

ex have enemy places reject you, but you can go buy all kindsa stuff with these people...

-scheherazade
hurleybird
Elite
Elite

Post by hurleybird »

That would be pretty cool, kind of like the bentusi from Homeworld.

This is also going to be the first model im going to try to put a lot of dedication towards texturing too, I have a few days off school since its finals week (and I'm done all my tests) so I just might get something done for a texture.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

It would make a niftier gravity research station.
I still don't think that a sphere is the most effecient way of storing ships.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Sphere = highest volume for least surface area... so if the outer hull of a ship is really expensive to make, then sphere's are totally the way to go.
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

Just because it has the least surface area per volume doesn't make it the most efficient anything. Ever tried to pack shoeboxes into round drums? Lots of wasted space. A space is most efficent if it a) matches closely to the dimensions of what is inside and b) is accessible.

So a sphere is an efficient way of storing ships if it is large enough to store a large number of ships, internal traffic can be managed, and inaccessible or "leftover shaped" volumes can be used for other purposes (residences, offices, workshops, etc. -- things that are large in number but small in individual space; or large volumes that don't need external access such as fuel or cargo storage, reactors).

-pincushionman
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

I've been making a lot of completely half-cocked posts lately. I want to apologize.

I totally didn't see the 'storing ships' part.
pincushionman
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by pincushionman »

yeah, well, I was a little harsh myself. Which I do. A lot. :roll:

-PCM
Conquer space!
-pincushionman

---------------------------------------

Kansas really is flatter than a pancake!
http://www.improbable.com/airchives/pap ... ansas.html
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

pincushionman wrote:Just because it has the least surface area per volume doesn't make it the most efficient anything. Ever tried to pack shoeboxes into round drums? Lots of wasted space. A space is most efficent if it a) matches closely to the dimensions of what is inside and b) is accessible.
You also have to manage the internal routes. You may waste even more spaces building aisles to get ships to all those nooks and crannies. Whereas, in a rectilinear container, you have nice straight corridors at even intervals along the spaces dimensions.
dwsoft
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

a sphere or not a sphere?

Post by dwsoft »

the spehere may not be practical but it looks cool!!!
so give it a chance ok? thanks