mesher woes

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

mesher woes

Postby log0 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:26 am

Have been trying to fix my llama mod. The issue I have atm are the nav lights. I would expect the export/import to be lossless, but this is what I get:
mesher llama.bfxm llama.obj boc
mesher llama.obj llama.bfxm obc
Image

Or am I using it incorrectly?
log0
 

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter Share on Digg Digg

Re: mesher woes

Postby log0 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:41 am

Had to add BLEND 1 to the material to fix the blending issue.

I think mesher should write this parameter even if it is not supported by vanilla obj format. This way it would a least give a hint at what might be missing.
log0
 

Re: mesher woes

Postby klauss » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:52 am

log0 wrote:Had to add BLEND 1 to the material to fix the blending issue.

I think mesher should write this parameter even if it is not supported by vanilla obj format. This way it would a least give a hint at what might be missing.


Um... I thought it did...
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
User avatar
klauss
Elite
Elite
 
Posts: 7243
Topics: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:40 am
Location: LS87, Buenos Aires, República Argentina

Re: mesher woes

Postby TBeholder » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:12 am

I have a question: what exactly .bfxm have that .obj doesn't? And, while we're at it, OGRE's .mesh format. Because not seeing what really goes on is a nuisance, and even using import/export modeler plugins instead of wrestling with mesher in addition to everything else would be a step up.
That's when mesher doesn't just segfault on attempt to convert anything like it does for me right now.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
User avatar
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
 
Posts: 744
Topics: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: chthonic safety

Re: mesher woes

Postby klauss » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:38 am

TBeholder wrote:I have a question: what exactly .bfxm have that .obj doesn't?

LODs, animations... I believe that's it.

TBeholder wrote:And, while we're at it, OGRE's .mesh format.

Materials. Sadly, OGRE's mesh format references materials by id, in a way that's really inconvenient. I wonder if they changed that. VS references "techniques", not materials, which means each mesh or unit can override variables like color, textures, and stuff like that. It's really useful to not have to write hundreds of material scripts, the way Ogre requires you to.
As for the format itself, it also references LODs and stuff like that by the ID they receive as Ogre meshes, which is also quite tied to Ogre and the way it's used in the game. It's not a standalone format we can easily reuse.

Now Collada... that might be worth a look.

TBeholder wrote:That's when mesher doesn't just segfault on attempt to convert anything like it does for me right now.


If mesher segfaults converting something, you attach the files that make it crash to a bug report, and we fix it :p
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
User avatar
klauss
Elite
Elite
 
Posts: 7243
Topics: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:40 am
Location: LS87, Buenos Aires, República Argentina

Re: mesher woes

Postby Deus Siddis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:59 am

klauss wrote:Now Collada... that might be worth a look.


Collada is the emerging de facto standard of the universe. Definitely worth a look.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite
 
Posts: 1362
Topics: 13
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:42 am

Re: mesher woes

Postby loki1950 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 pm

Collada also supports animations.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 18/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and DELL E6400 4GB ram/100 GB HD Mint 17.3 6
User avatar
loki1950
The Shepherd
 
Posts: 5715
Topics: 51
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 1:37 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: mesher woes

Postby TBeholder » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 am

klauss wrote:LODs, animations... I believe that's it.
<exports two selected objects from Wings> <loads the file in GLC_Player> Hmm, OBJ seems to support several named meshes just fine.
As to animations, if you mean textures, all necessary parameters are written in .ani, thus for .mtl file purpose it would be just another (if non-conventional) image file format, isn't it?

klauss wrote:
TBeholder wrote:That's when mesher doesn't just segfault on attempt to convert anything like it does for me right now.
If mesher segfaults converting something, you attach the files that make it crash to a bug report
It barfed from anything, but re-compiling fixed this. Also, it segfaults on absent input files instead of simply complaining.

Back to the subject, there seems to be no documentation (--help is a joke, because e.g. how to use "-addy" argument?).
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
User avatar
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer
 
Posts: 744
Topics: 38
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:40 pm
Location: chthonic safety

Re: mesher woes

Postby klauss » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:06 am

TBeholder wrote:
klauss wrote:LODs, animations... I believe that's it.
<exports two selected objects from Wings> <loads the file in GLC_Player> Hmm, OBJ seems to support several named meshes just fine.
As to animations, if you mean textures, all necessary parameters are written in .ani, thus for .mtl file purpose it would be just another (if non-conventional) image file format, isn't it?

I didn't know about .ani. Note, however, that named meshes is not LODs. bfxm can have many mesh elements per file, that's what those named meshes are. LODs are sets of named meshes, along with metadata to specify when do they kick in.

TBeholder wrote:
klauss wrote:
TBeholder wrote:That's when mesher doesn't just segfault on attempt to convert anything like it does for me right now.
If mesher segfaults converting something, you attach the files that make it crash to a bug report
It barfed from anything, but re-compiling fixed this. Also, it segfaults on absent input files instead of simply complaining.

Absent input files. Huh... gotta try it out.

TBeholder wrote:Back to the subject, there seems to be no documentation (--help is a joke, because e.g. how to use "-addy" argument?).


Yes, help is so horribly broken. I should fix that.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
User avatar
klauss
Elite
Elite
 
Posts: 7243
Topics: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:40 am
Location: LS87, Buenos Aires, República Argentina



Return to Content Vetting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron