Where did my textures go?

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Where did my textures go?

Post by DaveAshton »

OK, I've got to this stage in Wings3D (it's not as detailed as it looks, it's mostly textures, and yes it does still need quite a bit of work).

I'd exported it as an .obj, copied that (and the MTL*) to the .bin directory, ran it through mesher, copy the bfxm (and the textures themselves, obviously) to the ship's folder... all should be fine I thought.

However, in game it turns into this:

Where am I going wrong?

*MTL has been edited in Notepad++ as mentioned on the wiki:

kd 1.0 1.0 1.0
ks 1.0 1.0 1.0
ka 0.0 0.0 0.0
ke 0.0 0.0 0.0
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Re: Where did my textures go?

Post by Deus Siddis »

What I do to get working results is convert to xmesh using the following pipeline-- obj/mtl > bfxm > xmesh. (By some bug you can't convert directly from obj/mtl to xmesh, last I checked).

Then I edit the xmesh to point to the textures (I use windows notepad for this, personally).

And finally I convert the xmesh back into a bfxm.

Also double or triple check to make absolutely certain you spelled the texture names the same way for both the texture files and the xmesh syntax pointing to the texture files. A simple syntax error can cause you many painful hours of bug hunting because it hides so well in plain site. :wink:
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

No luck with that.

I have managed to turn the ship into some kind of rainbow-y disco light though (that was before the XMesh conversion)...

I'll keep pressing buttons, hopefully I'll find something that works :P
DaveAshton
Merchant
Merchant

Post by DaveAshton »

Got it working :D (but not with the ISD, due to impatience with UV mapping wait times).

I'm not 100% sure what the problem was, but I think it's probably because the ship hadn't been combined into 1 solid piece before UV mapping it.