Ola big boys

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

TheCapwagner
Explorer
Explorer

Ola big boys

Post by TheCapwagner »

:lol:
I must ask do not know anything about textures and how to make them, I'm new I do wonder how textures of metal and glass to raves, as do in 3D? :?: :idea:
Please prorgrama that is free to download to work with textures? thanks
How do I change the cabin VS? (I would do the same vs. the cockpits for the ship)

thanks
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: Ola big boys

Post by Gungnir »

To make a texture, first you take the UV unwrap of the model that you want to texture, and use it as a guide.

Different materials are made with different colors and patterns in the various textures; metal is generally dark in diffuse/color and light in specular, for instance. Transparency (e.g. glass) is handled with shaders, IIRC, ask Klauss or Chuck. You can pick up a lot of info about making different materials from the Cinemut threads here and on Wing Commander Junction.

GIMP is a good program, as is Photoshop if you don't mind paying for it. I personally use Blender and make any needed adjustments in Photoshop. If you want to edit VS's textures, you'll need a plug-in or utility for compressing and uncompressing DDS files.

Alternatively, you can assign materials to different areas of the ship, then have Blender bake them to a texture, and add details to that.

I'm not sure about cockpits, but you can learn a lot from looking at the cockpit files themselves.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
TheCapwagner
Explorer
Explorer

Post by TheCapwagner »

thanks :) this UV unwrap is expansive price :roll: any know freeware? :wink:
The blender no good running in my windows xp home: he exit or break http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... =4&t=16449# :D :oops: i
I need something freeware like working with images, textures, but I do not understand very simple :oops: :oops: :oops: :)
TheCapwagner
Explorer
Explorer

Post by TheCapwagner »

thanks :) this UV unwrap is expansive price :roll: any know freeware? :wink:
The blender no good running in my windows xp home: he exit or break :D :oops: i
I need something freeware like working with images and textures :) but I do not understand very simple :oops: :oops: :oops: :)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Blender works well under Xbuntu and get the GIMP as a Photo Shop replacement.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

TheCapwagner wrote:thanks :) this UV unwrap is expansive price :roll: any know freeware? :wink:
The blender no good running in my windows xp home: he exit or break :D :oops: i
I need something freeware like working with images and textures :) but I do not understand very simple :oops: :oops: :oops: :)
I didn't know that there was payware UV unwrap software. :lol: I'm not familiar with any unwrappers besides Blender's, so I can't help you there.

By the way, what version of Blender did you try? If the latest builds are still crashing you should try submitting a but report to the Blender devs.

GIMP is probably the best freeware for textures, and it's not too complex (around the same as Photoshop). You could also try Inkscape or MyPaint, but they might be awkward.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro