Free models that could be good for VS

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Free models that could be good for VS

Post by charlieg »

I'm sure there's plenty out there, such as this one:
http://www.blendswap.com/3D-models/vehicles/gunship/
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Free models that could be good for VS

Post by pheonixstorm »

I found a few ships and other models that might be nice. Real question is how well they would work in VS and how far off cannon they would be... but, with limited resources cannon may just have to take a back seat in order to get some high quality (or any quality) models in the game to finish off the ship list.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

It has 900,000 faces, I'd say that's a problem.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Actually, I think that gunship would be perfect if we removed all the armaments and turned it into a cargo tug. Whatever cargo it carries could ride low and to the rear, between the wings and engines.

Wait, hear me out. We don't need another gunship because human factions already have a short-range base defense fighter -- the graceful Seaxbane. Every settled planet's atmosphere needs a cloud of cargo tugs moving cargo between orbit and surface on behalf of capship-class cargo vessels. It's not something the player would buy, just something to make the VS universe more alive.

And I know we already have a cargo tug, the Dodo. But not only does the Dodo not look like a tug (where does the cargo go and what are the spiky things?), but also the Uln buy them all for their crack suicide squads.

Speaking of making the VS universe more alive, we need space mines. That is, we need an immobile combat unit which can be (1) obtained as mission cargo to be dropped at particular coordinates, (2) set as a mission target, and (3) randomly generated and placed by various factions like other ship types. That way you can have missions to lay minefields, missions to clear/destroy minefields, and randomly encounter mines protecting bases, planets, and jump points. They would need to be theft-proof: if you tractor someone else's mine into your hold, it might fire at you, would retain its faction ownership, and once in your hold it would become contraband for purposes of searching and who would be willing to buy it.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Phlogios wrote:It has 900,000 faces, I'd say that's a problem.
In other words. . .

IT'S OVER 900,000!
log0

Post by log0 »

The model is prepared for rendering. Disabling subsurf modifiers and deleting detail meshes brings it down to about 100000. But this is still a lot I guess.The model is made of components. Allows to assemble different configurations and control the polycount this way.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

I don't know how optimized the rendering pipeline is in Vega Strike, but 100,000 for a space ship shouldn't be too much considering you won't see much else. As long as it has LODs it's fine I'd guess.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

It's not VS the one with issues.

If the model is properly optimized (ie: only one mesh, one texture, or few at least), VS will simply tell the GPU to render the stuff, regardless of how many vertices/faces it may have.

Face complexity will have an impact on physics, but a LOD could be used for that, and even if not, opcode is rather efficient anyways.

In the end, it will be the GPU struggling. Our vertex shaders are tough on some GPUs, especially on lowly intel GMA models so common in laptops, which has no hardware vertex shader support, so it must do all that on the CPU. Those are already struggling with our high-poly (10k) models, so 100k will probably be unplayable without LODs.

With LODs, knock yourself out ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

sounds like it might be time to get a few ready and see how they look :)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

turbosquid has a lot of good free models too.
big ship
the whole set (fighters are plain and lowpoly, but hovercar is pretty good; buildings and station look good on shots but in .max)
Atmospheric Attack Something
A few landscapes, some of them useable for bases.
Ships, ships, ships.
Also, lots of textures.
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/Spacecraft this page is the best of them all :) First 200 that I looked at (lowest price sorting order) were free, not sure how many on 2nd or 3rd pages.
TBeholder
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by TBeholder »

pheonixstorm wrote:http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Models/Spacecraft this page is the best of them all :) First 200 that I looked at (lowest price sorting order) were free, not sure how many on 2nd or 3rd pages.
http://www.turbosquid.com/Search/3D-Mod ... ax_price=0 :)
"Two Eyes Good, Eleven Eyes Better." -Michele Carter