Some Old Ships I'd Offer to the Cause.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Some Old Ships I'd Offer to the Cause.

Post by travists »

I have been toying with the idea of doing my own mod, and have some ships I created for an old project. Haven't been able to texture them so that the game engine recognizes it. If anyone sees a use for them I'd post the obj's, more pics, or AVI flyarounds.

The white one is a large transport (the bump on the back is a docking bay). The crosses are modeled on, but separate pieces.

The purple one is a smaller transport about the size of a big rig with the container/trailer behind it.

The green is a small interceptor type. You can kinda see the pilot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Some Old Ships I'd Offer to the Cause.

Post by charlieg »

As generous as the donation is, these ships are way below the standard required to get in to Vega Strike.

They may be better received by the Oolite project, which features ships that are generally extremely low poly like yours:
http://www.oolite.org/
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Not a problem, thanks for the reply.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

hehe a lot better than some people can do though ;)

They look better than some of the offerings for other games I have seen (Total Annihilation, Simcity 4, Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, etc).
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Thanks Pheonixstorm, nice to know I'm not the absolute worst. Still if anyone sees good bones and wants to spruce them up I'd be more then happy to post them. Otherwise, I'll just let the dead lay where they fell.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

You could also see if these folks are interested in this content:

http://pioneerspacesim.net/
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Dragonseraph Angel »

Well, we all start somewhere - after all, I still don't have anything game-worthy, :oops: so you are probably better than I am!

The standards for detail and quality can be somewhat demanding, but VS has a lot to compete with, taking into account the commercial games and all. We seem to be in dire need of new modelers though, so if you want to/have time to contribute I think everyone would be greatful - after all some of the ships in-game (mostly the Aera capships) aren't any better than what you have here. Well, at least they weren't at 0.5 - I don't know about the SVN.

Either way, i'm personally grateful for your attempt. :mrgreen:
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Thanks for the support Dragonseraph Angel! Like I tried to indicate, these are just some old ones I had kicking around my hard-drive. I use Poser (6) for my animations and Open FX for most of my modeling, though I slap primitives together in Poser for some. And as Poser supports bump maps and displacement maps, when I need fine surface detail I have been using those. If there is one someone would like a mkII on one I can up the pollys and more surface detail, just can't seem to texture so that they import right. Subdivide, snake some pipes, add panels... I'd also be happy to do cargo containers. Honestly, just thought I'd throw them out there and see if anyone bit.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you're on windows grab a copy of TrueSpace 7 It has been changed to freeware along with a lot or all of the coarses that go with it. I haven't used truespace since v3 but its always been listed as one of the best mid range (pricewise) modeling packages, able to compete to some extent with 3DS and Maya. Truespace 3 had a demo version that shiped with a lot of early game programming books.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
travists
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by travists »

Might give it a shot, looks more intuitive then blender or wings 3d. I've got some lego ships i've hung on to (my own designs, not kit ships) so does it have a photo to 3d plug in??? that would sinch it! anyway thanks for the heads up.