Remodelling the Robin

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

nphillips
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Remodelling the Robin

Post by nphillips »

Dragonseraph Angel wrote:I heard they just now implemented booleans - in the form of a marginally functioning plugin. Now I haven't had that much experience with other software to compare this too, but I am pretty sure that K-3D, Blender, and Art of illusion can do them easily.
Blender's booleans can end up pretty dirty. It's OK on simple things (like a cylinder intersecting a single face of a cube), but for just about everything else, it's better to do it by hand.
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Dragonseraph Angel »

I'M BACK!!!! :D

and I bring offerings! :mrgreen:

Here is my blenderized robin, version 1.0 I Hope you all like it!

I still have a lot to learn about blender, but I think I (may) be ready for another attempt at this starship.

Of course it needs more details, but I want to get the general shape/proportions approved before I move on. :wink:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Well a hearty welcome back :lol: So you finally grokked Blender's interface 8) Think I will alert nphillips that you took his advice.I like it looks agile.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Thanks Loki! :mrgreen:

One thing I have been wondering is whether or not I should make LODs, and if so, how many?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

LODs are indeed welcome. There should be a description on the requirements in the development modeling section somewhere. I don't recall exactly where.

However, I'd consider greebling, unwrapping, and texturing a more important task if you'd want to give it a try.
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

How many poly's is that sitting on, anyway?
By the looks of it, it could be toned down, at it's highest point, without any significant loss of detail that can't be replicated by textures, which might also help with the unwrapping.
Dragonseraph Angel
Hunter
Hunter

Around 2600-2700 actually - I just gave it a hefty subsurface modifier for the nice renders :roll: :lol:

I have been trying to keep the numbers from becoming excessive by avoiding adding edgeloops and instead using an extrude/inset method but it leaves me with large numbers of 5+ sided vertices and although it doesn't create excessive triangles :wink: it has resulted in some funny topology

The complete wireframe without subsurface:

One of the radiator wings showing some weird/messy toplogy:

The cargo sled with "funny" quads highlighted:

Is it worth creating these somewhat irregular faces to avoid adding edgeloops (and thus reducing the total complexity) or is this just really bad topology?
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

The "grating" on the wings can easily be done with texturing and normal maps, rather than geometry.

And you'd get rid of lots of polies. And you'd probably get a better look, since you can get even more creative with normal maps.

Check out xnormal.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe