Interstellar Shipping and Mercantile Guild Design Discussion

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

nphillips
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Interstellar Shipping and Mercantile Guild Design Discussion

Post by nphillips »

Deus Siddis wrote:Sorry I wasn't being clear, I meant those as two separate statements. On one hand the Guild can use its Clydesdales to protect their business in systems that are poorly patrolled by the military or militias.
gotcha. That makes sense.
But I think the main purpose of producing the Clydesdale is simply to sell it to factions like the Purists or Highborn or Shapers, who don't produce their own heavy warships because they are too costly. So basically the Guild runs a side business as a military weapons contractor, building and selling Clydesdale cruisers using their vast infrastructure of heavy shipworks, that they have already established for constructing their fleets of thousands of super freighters like the Ox or Elephant.
This doesn't make as much sense, imo. Not entirely, anyway. I'm trying to figure out why they would spend resources on that. I suppose it could be to keep the shipyards running while they have downtime between ox/elephant productions. It's probably cheaper to keep the labor working than to send them home...and the cost of materials is easily recouped in the sales price of the ship...might not be a bad racket, after all.
Something like that might be better, but it would also have to be a lot smaller. There's just nothing quick or agile about 2 kilometers of armored hull.
Wait. What?? No. no no no. *heavy sigh*

Yeah. No way. 2km is insanity. That's a space station, not a ship. I thought it was just a bit smaller than the ox... at least, it should be. Just give it massive thrusters, heavy armor, but maneuver like a drunken cow. Like I said -- rip through blockades, and hit the jump points at full speed.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

LOL
The Clydesdale is 2 km top to bottom; it's like 5 km long.
But in-game it looks and feels like it's 50 meters long.
(Try greebling that, to make it look its size.. If you can model Manhattan, you're all set :))
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

nphillips wrote:This doesn't make as much sense, imo. Not entirely, anyway. I'm trying to figure out why they would spend resources on that. I suppose it could be to keep the shipyards running while they have downtime between ox/elephant productions. It's probably cheaper to keep the labor working than to send them home...and the cost of materials is easily recouped in the sales price of the ship...might not be a bad racket, after all.
Also there is the factor that no other human faction besides the Andolians produces any warship bigger than a corvette, besides the Mechanists with their extremely specialized Battle Cruiser MK32, and the Andolians at least don't sell these craft to other factions, let alone on the open market. So the Guild has no competition when it comes to selling capital vessels, which could make the Clydesdale fairly profitable.
Wait. What?? No. no no no. *heavy sigh*

Yeah. No way. 2km is insanity. That's a space station, not a ship. I thought it was just a bit smaller than the ox... at least, it should be. Just give it massive thrusters, heavy armor, but maneuver like a drunken cow. Like I said -- rip through blockades, and hit the jump points at full speed.
I would like to see its size reduced to no more than 800 meters long at the max, for the sake of both major technical graphics reasons and game-play reasons.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Fendorin wrote:http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/v ... k/masters/
Above is the Master repository
I just tried to check out the masters and got a mysterious message...

Code: Select all

svn co http://vegastrike.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vegastrike/trunk/masters
svn: Repository moved temporarily to '/viewvc/vegastrike/trunk/masters/'; please relocate
It says that the repo moved, but the address it gives is the same one I typed!! What gives?
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

You're using the browsing URL i.e. the wrong URL. Replace 'viewvc' with 'svnroot' in the URL and the checkout will work.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community