[Wings3D plugin] Version 1.4a released

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

[Wings3D plugin] Version 1.4a released

Post by pontiac »

:!: Release of the Wings3D - xmesh-Export plugin V1.4a

NOTE: this is an alpha release, so don't expect anything to work at all ;-)

Changes since the last stable Release (v1.3)
  • Added Import functionality
  • Some bugfixes
The TODO list at the Wings3D - plugins home is also a good place to see the changes.

Wings3D/Export plugin releated Howto Overview: Please post bugreports, suggestions, flames, lapse of info about the release, etc.... in this thread.

Pontiac
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Major »

OK, here´s my bugreport:

I installed Xmesh plugin 1.4a in Wings .98 17f on Win2k and imported some xmesh files from Vegastrike.
Then i wanted to retexture the determinant. I imported the mesh and changed to uv-mapping. I imported the existing texture and when i applied the texture on the uv-map Wings crashed.

So i restarted Wings an reimported the determinant again. I went to uv-mapping and closed it without importing an image. After choosing "apply texture" Wings crashed again.
Redoing this procedure or choosing another ship resulted in a crash again. Erlang says:
Reading preferences from: c:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/Administrator/Anwendung
sdaten/Wings3D/Preferences.txt
Trying OpenGL modes
[{buffer_size,32},{depth_size,32},{stencil_size,8},{accum_size,16}]
Actual: RGBA: 8 8 8 0 Depth: 24 Stencil: 8 Accum: 16 16 16 16
Window {autouv,1} crashed:
{{badmatch,false},
[{wings_material,update_image,4},
{wpc_autouv,add_material,4},
{wpc_autouv,handle_event_1,2},
{wings_wm,handle_event,3},
{wings_wm,send_event,2},
{wings_wm,do_dispatch,2},
{wings_wm,event_loop,0},
{wings,init,1}]}
{window_crash,{autouv,1},
{{badmatch,false},
[{wings_material,update_image,4},
{wpc_autouv,add_material,4},
{wpc_autouv,handle_event_1,2},
{wings_wm,handle_event,3},
{wings_wm,send_event,2},
{wings_wm,do_dispatch,2},
{wings_wm,event_loop,0},
{wings,init,1}]}}
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Major »

I quickly made a new uv-map and i was able to apply the new uv-map correctly.
peteyg
Elite
Elite

Post by peteyg »

Whoa. Did I just hear .xmesh import?! Is this a new feature of your plugin, pontiac?
pontiac
Elite
Elite
Location: Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Post by pontiac »

The crashing of wings when trying to texture an imported mesh (from a 'bad' file) is a known problem AFAIK.

If you just want to replace the texture on a mesh, drag&drop the new texture in the outliner to the material.

Pontiac
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Major »

pontiac wrote:
If you just want to replace the texture on a mesh, drag&drop the new texture in the outliner to the material.

Pontiac

Thanks, that works and is easier.

Btw, you must take a look at the meshes from Howard Day´s models...
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

peteyg wrote:Whoa. Did I just hear .xmesh import?! Is this a new feature of your plugin, pontiac?
Jup it's a new feature. It's in now quite a long time.
That's also the way i did the blueprints of the ships ;-)
Though most of the (old) xmeshes are quite terrible messed up after import.

Pontiac
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Major wrote:Btw, you must take a look at the meshes from Howard Day´s models...
What exactly do you mean?

Pontiac
Major
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Major »

Great work
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Major wrote:Great work
Yes they are really good stuff 8)

Pontiac
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Question: How difficult would it be to add an option to the vertex mode context menu that would allow you to copy vertex coordinates to the clipboard?
This would make it a snap to get mount points, as verticies could be selected and pasted straight into the CSV file. IMO, that would be much easier than having to place one of those tag thingies that are currently used available via the plugin.
pontiac
Elite
Elite

Post by pontiac »

Halleck wrote:Question: How difficult would it be to add an option to the vertex mode context menu that would allow you to copy vertex coordinates to the clipboard?
This would make it a snap to get mount points, as verticies could be selected and pasted straight into the CSV file. IMO, that would be much easier than having to place one of those tag thingies that are currently used available via the plugin.
Actually i've never made any code for the User interface of Wings3D so i really don't know.
I imagine it shouldn't be that hard to do.... i'll see what can be done.

I'm currently working on a universal converter that not only can generate cockpit-files, but also reads the placed tag-objects and adds their info into a template file (xmesh or csv file ; no complicated config-file needed anymore)
I just need some time to finish this functionality tough :?

But if tag-support would be added to wings (without rendering them) this would be alot easier than any export-plugin or converter script. So you just give the tag-name instead of the postion (and orientation).

Pontiac
Duality
Daredevil Venturer
Daredevil Venturer

*bump*

Post by Duality »

I think someone needs to update the wiki links to the xmesh plugin for Wings.
bobbens
Trader
Trader

Post by bobbens »

So how does one get around to working with this plugin? I'd really be interesting in importing meshes or somehow converting them to a format blender can read. I have wings3d version 0.98.35-4 which is latest from debian sid repositories. The plugin seems to say it has installed correctly when I use the *.tgz option, but I cannot see anything in the program to indicate that it is truly installed. If I try to install only the e3d_xmesh_import.beam it says it is not a Wings plug-in module...

*EDIT* seems like I just woke up an ancient post, damn search tool! I'm guessing it's out of date with the later wings3d and I'd have to recompile it or whatever you do with erlang.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@bobbens may be it needed waking anyway :wink: as for getting stuff into blender there is the mesher utility you will need to build it your self the source is in the svn repository.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
bobbens
Trader
Trader

Post by bobbens »

loki1950 wrote:@bobbens may be it needed waking anyway :wink: as for getting stuff into blender there is the mesher utility you will need to build it your self the source is in the svn repository.

Enjoy the Choice :)
You wouldn't happen to have a link would you? I've found some links in the wiki to stuff like that, but they turn out to be dead ones and such. Thanks.

*EDIT* Yay got it working, check http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... 6250#76250 for my patch to get the blender import script working