Opening Discussion About artstyle guide for ANDOLIAN

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Opening Discussion About artstyle guide for ANDOLIAN

Post by Fendorin »

HI alls

Comment and opinion are heavealy requested

By this thread i wanted open a discussion and try to motive some people who are interesed by give more consistencies into artstyle
I did a visual board and i wanted present to you

The purpose is get to contributor a VISUAL canon (helpfull for non fluant english)
i Did as a draft first and i would like to know what kind of information MUST be into this board:
1a general overview of the design style grouped into 1 document (with text from wiki)
2 color scheme
3 point detail
4faction look
5... what else
i m really open to put more than that then what do you think we can put for give a good "ambiance" document
The goal is obviously when you "read/look" this board new contributor would be able to be more guided than currently.

as exemple and because a draft is always better for discussing :
i did it for andolian (the faction we have the more detailled)
Last edited by Fendorin on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Opening Discussion About artstyle guide

Post by charlieg »

Looks superb as always Fendorin.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Well like you said, mentioning the color scheme would be good, but otherwise it looks like there's a fair amount of details for folks to work off of there.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I agree. In fact the only thing I would change is to get the text out of the image and into the Wiki as text? Otherwise, if they ever fix the wiki search, the text will not be searchable because it's just a picture. Also, using text lets us enrich it with cross-links to other parts of the wiki.

I'd also like to see the faction heraldry/flag/logo be a standard part of the art style guide, if the faction has one.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hi Firstly thanks for commented
the text is pick up from Wiki (copy paste) i will maybe cut it out and add more picture but per my previous research and experiencies is a good point to have all compiled in one place for new contributor is much more easier to understand the faction "spirit"
I get some new features (visual homeworld system description...) to add in the artstyle guide, and yes adding color sheme and logo is a good point ,
unfortunetly
i remenber Pyramid did a clear color scheme but i have no idea where it was recorded Wiki?, SVN?(i did search no found..)
if u know where is it, please post the link below.
About Logo i think is was never approved or i miss something..
by the way i don't think logo is a good feature for space game (so close too WW2 airplane ), but i m not the designer
i would like to see a clear different style of design can give u straight the way the faction .

but we will see... maybe it will be another work to propose set of logo......if someone can handle that ...

Thanks
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Fendorin wrote: i remenber Pyramid did a clear color scheme but i have no idea where it was recorded Wiki?, SVN?(i did search no found..)
if u know where is it, please post the link below.
The only color scheme information I have seen over my four years following this project was one your posted here:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... ion+colors

Which you said you got from this thread:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... &sk=t&sd=a
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hi I come back with a fleet over view as a guide for design Andolian star ship
The scale of size is not proportional between tiny ship and huge ship

But i did it as a general visual guide for Andolians Design is as sketches for let inspirations of detail come to you

About how andolians build/think a star ship this sketches was done with this idea explain into this topic :http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... =4&t=13807

Do you think is usefull/helpfull for contributions, contributors ?

For end with this Topic do i have the permissions to " cut pictures" and ilustrate the Wiki Arstyle guide concerning Andolians?

And untill i don't have the "official" approbations could we do it without Jack's permissions?

And Who can reply anyway?

here the file in HD:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75 ... lian-1.png
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Your fleet illustration is well drawn and I think it would be very helpful for creating a concept for how Andolian craft should look.

I do have some suggestions though, based on the wiki information. Basically it sounds like most large Andolian ships are solidly built with no windows or aerodynamic surfaces, but instead have three noticeable features:

1) Engines, rear engines, smaller forward (retro) engines and lateral engines.
2) Radiators with surfaces that don't face the hull so they can radiate on both faces.
3) (Big) Turret Pylons that are either thick or thick in places like at the base or just under the turret because they apparently house ammunition or power generators.

My impression is these three things would be more dominant in the appearance of Andolian vessels, at least the large ones. So much larger turrets on their large pylons, more and larger retro and lateral engines and radiators that offer a lot of surface area facing away from the ship and out towards space, methinks.
Fendorin wrote: For end with this Topic do i have the permissions to " cut pictures" and ilustrate the Wiki Arstyle guide concerning Andolians?
And untill i don't have the "official" approbations could we do it without Jack's permissions?
And Who can reply anyway?
I have emailed jackS about this and if he is still planning on working for VS as art director, since he's been gone for something like 9 months now.

If he isn't coming back, then I think you should be the one who approves artwork and takes over that official role, because you are the most long contributing, productive and motivated artist this project has now and probably has ever had. But lets hope we hear from him soon now so that we aren't stuck in limbo forever like this.