Cubing - for newbies

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pushkin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Cubing - for newbies

Post by pushkin »

Hi

Need a bit of help 'cubing' my space background, while the tutuorial is good (besides the broken link to an diagram) I'm totally stuck trying to get past the HDR creating a cross stage and have a few questions. Sometimes when I try to import an image into HDR it appears blacked out, any ideas ? When I have got to the stage of creating my 'A' and 'B' images and then combined them it looks like an inverted mirror image rather than that cross I see everyone else with. And what in gods name do I do with the cross image (once I've acheived it) in the POV Ray app ???!!!!!

Any help is much appreciated, or any other threads that have spelt it out already to another clueless newbie such as myself.

Cheers

pushkin
pushkin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: Cubing - for newbies

Post by pushkin »

Ok, got the cross shaped image (but not by following the guide word for word....), still looking for a guide to POV Ray if anyone could oblige I'd be most grateful, cheers.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pushkin
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by pushkin »

Cheers mate, got to grips with it today. Am very happy to have produced my first 6 cube images :D - have a question though - the wiki on how to create space backgrounds has an image showing the naming map for each side of the cube.....but the link to the image is broken!! Any idea where I might find that reference ?
Also, when I've loaded the images and tried them out all I can see as a background is white, I've noticed that you can't open the backgrounds that come as default to view them like you can mine, have I missed a step ? the wiki talks about DXT1 compression, I thought I'd done that when I exported the .dds image to seperate .png images using cubemapgen (saw it as an option). Tried using the command line NVCompress but got nowhere with it - yet :D
Any help is greatly appreciated....