Orbit Docking installation

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Re: Orbit Docking installation

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:Very small single pilot or AI transfer cargo to and from ships think of as a space fork-lift :wink:
That's a nice analogy, thanks. Wonder how it will be used in game though? (and will it be buyable xD)
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Most likely a swarm of the little things flitting to and fro with cargo containers they would need a specialized AI script so they stay out of harms way we don't want them to behave like Uln tugs :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:Most likely a swarm of the little things flitting to and fro with cargo containers they would need a specialized AI script so they stay out of harms way we don't want them to behave like Uln tugs :lol:
Definitely, we already have enough of Uln :lol: But now that you mention Uln, what faction would they be part of? I am guessing the station that owns them? Oh, and I am guessing they are only a visual effect, the actual cargo will simply move from the container ship to the station directly and vice versa, right...?
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That would depend on whether some coder takes a liking to them.But just there moving back and forth would add some much needed visual interest to docking at any station.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

loki1950 wrote:That would depend on whether some coder takes a liking to them.But just there moving back and forth would add some much needed visual interest to docking at any station.
That's what I thought. Thanks for the input. :)
Keller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Keller »

Cool as always Fen.

If you guys don't want 'em crashing into stuff, just turn off the collision code for them. They'd still retain the normal behavior for the player controlled ships, but they could just pass through everything else. If you made their maneuverability off the charts (and such slow and small movers would I can imagine, since they remind me of fork-lifts too), you wouldn't need to worry about them crashing into you.
Nothing is uninteresting. ;)
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Keller wrote:Cool as always Fen.

If you guys don't want 'em crashing into stuff, just turn off the collision code for them. They'd still retain the normal behavior for the player controlled ships, but they could just pass through everything else. If you made their maneuverability off the charts (and such slow and small movers would I can imagine, since they remind me of fork-lifts too), you wouldn't need to worry about them crashing into you.
I agree. It is better to clip through them than to make them crash and burn. Which translates into Uln koalas and dodos suddendly spawning behind you and making you crash and burn too. :lol: Or maybe the base will blast you to bits, so either way you are dead. :lol: Bottom line... I guess turn off collision from them.

For movement they would probably just have code for moving from the real-time 3D coordinates of the base port, to the real-time 3D coordinates of whatever ship that docks and vice-versa.
tretle
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tretle »

any chance of building an interior for this on the off chance that after ogre/planetary flight makes it in the ability to control your character comes after?
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

I believe it would be possible, yes. After all, it promises, if my memory recalls, "Seamless Planetary Flight", which if I am not mistaken, means no loading screens. Just land your ship, get out of it, walk to the concourse, kill that bounty in the Cantina and runaway 5 :mrgreen: I am not sure about the latter though... but I am mostly sure you will be able to freeroam bases, possibly including this Orbital Docking Installation.
tretle
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tretle »

Then creating the models should be of high priority. After all you dont need to wait for the code to land to start making interiors and player models.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

tretle wrote:any chance of building an interior for this on the off chance that after ogre/planetary flight makes it in the ability to control your character comes after?
There certainly is the chance. I understand this might require some special knowledge beyond modeling though, maybe of netradiant.
MC707 wrote:I believe it would be possible, yes. After all, it promises, if my memory recalls, "Seamless Planetary Flight", which if I am not mistaken, means no loading screens. Just land your ship, get out of it, walk to the concourse, kill that bounty in the Cantina and runaway 5 :mrgreen: I am not sure about the latter though... but I am mostly sure you will be able to freeroam bases, possibly including this Orbital Docking Installation.
Not necessarily, seamless planetary flight is all about outside environments, you might need a different kind of collision detection when you move to interior environments I think. Or perhaps it might be really buggy if you don't make the switch, think characters falling through floors or getting stuck in walls.

That is to my understanding, unless you have the outdoor and indoor environments 'baked' or 'solved' or whatever the word is, as one integrated level.

Or at least have "airlocks" (don't remember the exact term) like longish hallways with automatically closing doors at both ends, or in our case, probably actual airlocks. :)

Basically you model something like a docking bay with pressure doors separating it from space and the station interior. Then you make this model part of both the station model players see from space, and the interior which players see from walking around inside. Thus when the game switches gears between the exterior or interior or vice versa, the player can't tell the difference because it looks like he is in the same docking by and so it becomes "seamless".
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Deus Siddis wrote:Not necessarily, seamless planetary flight is all about outside environments, you might need a different kind of collision detection when you move to interior environments I think. Or perhaps it might be really buggy if you don't make the switch, think characters falling through floors or getting stuck in walls.

That is to my understanding, unless you have the outdoor and indoor environments 'baked' or 'solved' or whatever the word is, as one integrated level.

Or at least have "airlocks" (don't remember the exact term) like longish hallways with automatically closing doors at both ends, or in our case, probably actual airlocks. :)

Basically you model something like a docking bay with pressure doors separating it from space and the station interior. Then you make this model part of both the station model players see from space, and the interior which players see from walking around inside. Thus when the game switches gears between the exterior or interior or vice versa, the player can't tell the difference because it looks like he is in the same docking by and so it becomes "seamless".
As I said, I am not entirely sure. Though I agree with your proposal too. And yes, they are called Airlocks :mrgreen:
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

MC707 wrote:And yes, they are called Airlocks :mrgreen:
I wasn't refering to the literal kind of airlock, except for there part where I was. :wink: :?: :mrgreen:
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

Deus Siddis wrote:
MC707 wrote:And yes, they are called Airlocks :mrgreen:
I wasn't refering to the literal kind of airlock, except for there part where I was. :wink: :?: :mrgreen:
I know what you mean. I've seen lots of Star Wars stuff, games, movies etc :wink:
Keller
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Keller »

I fully agree that 3D models of bases could be built and used now. Even without the seamless flight, even without the additional collision code necessary to make walking about in one, we could still use the current hotspot navigation even with 3D models.
Nothing is uninteresting. ;)
tretle
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tretle »

Well I think that we need 3d models of different races minus clothing /armour etc, different sizes (tall, small, fat, thin, face structures etc) similar to the type of customization you would find in rpg's and games like the sims. Then if cloth physics makes it in the rewrite a nice system for creating clothing could be implemented. Lastly interiors for stations could be designed now, So there could be bars, restaurants, main squares, loading bays, accommodation etc. I think that this particular model would be a good one to focus on for this type of interior as I can see this being model being used for lots of different planets once planetary flight makes it in.
I think its a better idea focussing all efforts on the interior of one particular model rather than try and get the interior of many different models done as quality if better than quantity.
I saw a webkit plugin for ogre3d which vegastrike might be able to use. Advertisements for billboards and such though I am not sure about it. It could prove useful for attracting new people to development as the money made from advertising could be used as bounty for getting certain things done, like models or features.
And on a side note does anyone need a new maintainer for the site/forum. By that I mean the actual upkeep of the site and forum not moderation. I think it could use some love.
And lastly should the rewrite(ogre3d integration) be used as a catalyst for a new version, take a look at all of the current models included, create models for the different races and refine the styles. Some of the models are really good but some of them look like they were inspired by empty plastic bottles.
As part of the renovation to the site there should be a catalogue of all of the current models minus the textures to make it easier for such a revision to begin.
tretle
Explorer
Explorer

Post by tretle »

http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2102

Just thought I should mention this guy as a possible lead for character development on vegastrike. The two models which he showed off on the freeorion forums look both original and polished.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

tretle wrote:And on a side note does anyone need a new maintainer for the site/forum. By that I mean the actual upkeep of the site and forum not moderation. I think it could use some love.
I completely agree with you. I have seen lots of things lacking here, like a button for [/spoiler], support for [/youtube], unlocking images in signatures (with moderation, not to have signatures bigger than the actual post the sucker is making), and updating the forum skin (which I am slowly redoing). I have downloaded a lot of mods for phpBB and BB code, I know a friendly community that submits many BB Code mods and the phpBB forums have a large database for php mods. I know many other utilities too. But it appears only ace123 has access to forum , whom appears not to be too active atm. IIRC not even loki has those forum rights.
tretle wrote:Just thought I should mention this guy as a possible lead for character development on vegastrike. The two models which he showed off on the freeorion forums look both original and polished.
Well if he's gonna lead, he has to be just as talented and active as Fendorin. He is a very talented 3D and 2D artist, thus very active. But thanks for the introduce, maybe you can call him over? :wink: