New Trust and one Problem

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

punx
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

New Trust and one Problem

Post by punx »

I create last Night a new Truster Animation and it looks really nice

deleted
deleted
deleted

but there is one Problem its not displayed correctly, How can i edit an xmesh file?(i tried the wings3d plugin but it does not work), Is it easy for me with no 3d-skills to make an xmesh for this trust?

deleted
Last edited by punx on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know my english sucks :P
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: New Trust and one Problem

Post by loki1950 »

Not sure punx but i will ask chuck to have look and i believe that the wings3d plug-in was for a much earlier version of wings3d so that is why it is broken there is some info on the xmesh format in the wiki but since you found the plug-in i imagine that you have already seen it.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

What are you trying to do, punx?
You say that it "doesn't display correctly", but don't specify what the problem is.
I would strongly recommend you stay away from wings3d. If you want to do 3d things, you're
much better off learning the basics around blender.
To work with a mesh in blender, first you have to use mesher to extract .obj + .mtl files
from the .bfxm file you want to modify. Start-up blender and import the .obj; fix it or
do what you want, export to .obj, and then use mesher again to make a new .bfxm. It's
a long and frustrating process. If you tell me what you need maybe I can do it for you.
punx
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by punx »

ok sounds like hard :mrgreen:

so i edit only the existing here is the result:

Original 0.5SVN>

Lightblue>

lightgreen(nearly white)>

Real flame>

big short yellow>

here you can try> http://rapidshare.com/files/211953233/trusters.7z

btw. can anyone make a real effect? look from behind shows only a cross( http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/7058/aaaf.jpg )

maby can there displayed 45 crosses(everyone 1° rotated)?

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9139/rotatejpg.png
Last edited by punx on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I know my english sucks :P
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

BTW you could use image tags around those links :wink: so we don't have to open them in a separate tab not sure but photobucket has a one click area to grab link image code direct and email & IM as well as facebook and such i imagine that imageshack has something similar 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Don't worry about that issue, punx; I got a more efficient solution for it that will be part of
the next generation shaders, CineMut. There will be a ship and station CineMut Solid shader;
there will be planet and asteroid shaders, and there will be a shader for transparencies and
flames, called CineMut Fire-Glass. This shader will allow you to define directional focus for
emissive surfaces. For instance, you'll be able to make narrow beam headlights, that shine
brightest when you're closely aligned with them.
For flames, two crossing planes will be enough, by giving them emissive focus of 1.0.
What that will do is that when you look at one of the planes on edge, it will be invisible.
As you turn it to face you it becomes gradually brighter. So, when you are directly behind
a ship, you won't see the cross at all; you will only see the disk. It will make the flame
seem volumetric without changing the geometry or the textures.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

sounds nice! could that apply for some sort of "headlights" in space? I know what you will say "headlights in space?". Headlights in space could be used in, say an asteroid field, when visiting some sort of space debris or ruin (like station) or something like that. Talking about asteroid fields, is there gonna be a point in which planets' rings will have actual asteroid fields we can hit and fly through? That will be outstanding :twisted:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Very nice improvement
it' a really good idea to rework the "light effect" ,
It should be nice to have a thruster on missille +torpedo too.

Soon the explosion???
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

MC707 wrote:sounds nice! could that apply for some sort of "headlights" in space? I know what you will say "headlights in space?". Headlights in space could be used in, say an asteroid field, when visiting some sort of space debris or ruin (like station) or something like that. Talking about asteroid fields, is there gonna be a point in which planets' rings will have actual asteroid fields we can hit and fly through? That will be outstanding :twisted:
I think the main use of "headlights" (directional lights) will be for thrusters: The exhausts of real ion thrusters (and vasimr thrusters) are in fact visible (they are not "flames" but rather left-over ionization that settles after the propellant is ejected, emitting light); but this exhaust "flame" is not very bright. If you look at an ion thruster from straight behind, then you get a real bright spot. This will be possible with CineMut FireGlass. Another use will be for PU, once we have carriers I'm planning to have directional lights on the runway with different colors at different angles, so that you get a color change feedback to get your angle of approach right. (Angle of approach is relevant in Wing Commander).
Another use will be for static lights at space stations.

As for "asteroids" (ice chunks) in planetary rings... For that we'd need a re-coded asteroids module, which can create asteroids procedurally as you fly. Can't fit a trillion or so ice chunks in any computer's memory. The current asteroid code has all asteroids there at the same time.
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

chuck_starchaser wrote:As for "asteroids" (ice chunks) in planetary rings... For that we'd need a re-coded asteroids module, which can create asteroids procedurally as you fly. Can't fit a trillion or so ice chunks in any computer's memory. The current asteroid code has all asteroids there at the same time.
Will someone re-code the asteroids module? At least I have hope of flyin' like Han Solo did in Star Wars 8) :lol:
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

I'm waiting for Klauss to be back into coding in the graphics department; he's busy with sound these days.
When he's back, first we need to take care of the main shaders and CineMut flavors; but after that maybe
it would be a good idea to tackle asteroid fields.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

MC707 wrote:Will someone re-code the asteroids module? At least I have hope of flyin' like Han Solo did in Star Wars 8) :lol:
If you generate the asteroids procedurally that would have to help with memory and frame rate.

But to make asteroids into terrain that is usable in your flight tactics (Han Solo style) you need the procedural generation to create all the asteroids within visual range (a number which would vary according to the asteroids' size). That is to say, when you are "getting closer to one of the big ones" you don't want it to be there as you approach, but while you fly past it, it drops off the edge of your viewscreen and is (unknown to you) procedurally replaced by 2 little rocks so that it's no longer useful to hide behind, denonate a missle, or whatever other manuever you were attempting that involved the big asteroid.
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

procedurally generate.. give it a time to live after falling off view screen..
once the TTL is hit, it stops being tracked by the system and is effectively forgotten..
if it comes in to view again (by anyone) then it restarts it TTL