Forsaken Relay Station ( now every body can make a station)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Forsaken Relay Station ( now every body can make a station)

Post by Fendorin »

hello i wanted test my computer and i made a nice thing :

a new standard station is around 30 000 triangles :

And its made like a "Construction game" maybe 30 simplst mesh assembling and copy paste ( was less than 1500 triangles for begining)

if some body is interested for create a station i will post the Blend file+ the 4 map (you don't need to texture , you dont need to scult: just copy/past the different mesh-block it could be very different each time .....

and maybe is this method could be done i will create a "parcell" for each faction and every body with some knowledge in 3D software should be produce one or two high poly station

with this method :YOU don't need to be a texturer and you don't need to know how to scult and unwrap!! just like "tetris"

the negative point : no AO map and maybe but i m not so sure no Normal (nothing is symetrized just copy/past)

_with a same map and a same basic mesh you can become a Station creator_

and is wasn't so bad , the texturing is 5 minutes then i not sure is the color is good:
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

looks awesome but strikes me more as a multi-purpose station than just a comm relay. perhaps a forsaken commerce (or what passes for commerce) station?

i would expect a relay station to be tiny have a few windows and GIGANTIC antennas. maybe a couple satalite dishes. i'd say maybe take thatgive it one or two rows of solar panels and a small widowed section
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i m agree with you it don't looks like a relay

maybe a factory or a "forsaken research"

the purpose of this topic is more about a new kind of "making way"
for station is little bit changing than the current

i rework a little bit the texturing:

Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

i would think that the built-in-pieces (modular) design would be alot more popular particulary with space stations. i'm really suprised we haven't seen more of this in VS. modular designs are very popular on this planet due to there ease and relatve cheapness of production. we should have more of this in VS.
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

i said something along these lines before.. but in game.. would love to have 'chunks' of stations you can stick together in game through one means or another.. (add a bit of coding for 'link' points) and you could designate a certain part of a mesh as a generic link point... and anything else with a generic link point can be linked to that.. (might have aera link points. confed linkpoints.. so you cant mix and match station pieces..)

but anyhow.. :P im just thinking about X3 and station construction.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

It looks Tadpole-ish! :D

Show this to Chuck_Starchaser!
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

It looks Tadpole-ish! Very Happy
It's all those solar panels :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

thank today i wanted know the limit of my compter for working on 3D

over 85 805 vertice my computer crush....( i m sorry )

then i did a nice station for test it :

this station look like little bit medieval for the space but if we could keep this style for forsaken it wasn't so bad : "later medieval style" with (because they are human) symetrical and modularity :
i did some screen shot of this new base:

and the landing point between the "square"

Nota bene: all the componement was Exactly than the first one before

and same reflexion about the texturing i need to improve the diffuse first and will make th set

thank
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

wow. very nice. I'd love to see that station in VS if it wasnt for the massivly high poly count.
My only critique would be you have waaay waaay too many windows. I know this is just more of a concept idea but at least from what i have read about the forsaken and the descriptions sightseeing ports would be maybe 1/10th of that. but enough of my nit-picking.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

WOW! This is EXCELLENT, Fendorin!

There's a way to get around the AO baking problem: If you have a large array of equal things, like the solar panels, you can make 9 similar obj's: One for the left row, one for the right, one for the top, one for the bottom, four more for the four corners, and all the inner ones can be one and the same kind.
Then all 9 submeshes call for the same set of textures, except for different AO's.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Wow. :shock:

That is magnificent. This is the kind of complexity the game needs in its models.

Is there a collision mesh(s) for this?
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Deus Siddis wrote:Is there a collision mesh(s) for this?
Now, THAT is one mesh whose poly count you need to worry about... ;-)
The collision mesh IS the shield mesh, I think I remember reading somewhere.
It should indeed be very low poly, as collisions are computed in code, by the cpu.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

IIRC, The collision mesh defaults to the model mesh if not specified. You can specify any mesh you want as the collision mesh. The shield mesh is treated as an optional mesh (it will default to a sphere if not specified), and the collision routines do not rely on a shield mesh being specified, as the collisions are checked against whatever is specified by the collision mesh, not against the shield mesh -- if memory serves me, the shield mesh is there as a graphical entity only. As things currently stand, if the shield mesh was used as the collision mesh, you probably wouldn't be able to dock to most models.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Ah, good to know. I bet VS must have pretty darn fast code for collisions, then! Full mesh?!!!
Not being able to dock would be problematic, indeed.
I'm almost tempted to try and make shield meshes with depressions at docking areas and make them serve as collision meshes; but maybe not... If the collision code is THAT good, might as well take advantage of it.

EDIT:
Fendorin, I keep looking at this station and I want to say it again, it's AWSOME. Not just because it's more complex, but also artistically, it evokes a mixture of oriental, medieval and high tech styles that makes it a floating enigma. Plus, the greebles look purposeful. I think this will be the mother of all VS stations.
Don't forget about keeping the number of vertices per mesh object under 10,000; so if it's 30,000, be sure to split it into 3 separate .obj's minimum.
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

Stylistically speaking, I'd prefer to make something like this

A) a unique station, found only in 1 location
B) have that location be in orbit around Earth
C) have its initial construction take place in the late pre-FTL period
D) tack on a handful of clearly stylistically incongruous additions to represent some of the components added or altered over the history of the station
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

a teaser for the next set:

a confed stockyard

"quick texturing":

thank
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

not bad looking..
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Nice! Don't forget dockings. Preferably distinct dockings for large and small ships. Also, repeating a mesh is good, but there should be some non-repeating detail; say a bunch of cables or flexible conduit connecting each of the boxes to the main structure, and this hose bending with a slightly different shape each time, would give the illusion that every box is different.

Be sure to unwrap the corner boxes separately, then one generic unwrap for each side, so they can have distinct AO bakes, like,

Code: Select all

A e e e e C

B f f f f D
So, all the "e" boxes can share one UV island; and all the "f" boxes can share one UV island. 6 box unwraps in total.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

. Also, repeating a mesh is good, but there should be some non-repeating detail; say a bunch of cables or flexible conduit connecting each of the boxes to the main structure, and this hose bending with a slightly different shape each time, would give the illusion that every box is different.

it was just a rough

and for modularity is normal it's because the kind of Construction need modularity componment: show this picture the station is prefab in Trantor planet and assembling some part of times in young system like that:

The crew of this ship is calling their ship "the envils flying"

Thank
Last edited by Fendorin on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HoodedWraith
Merchant
Merchant

Post by HoodedWraith »

You know, I've made it a habit of looking for Fendorin's posts when I'm cruising the artwork section. I really like your models, you put a lot of thought into them while you're shaping them, and I really admire that.
Tramp freighter for hire. Will work for good whiskey, overstocked weaponry, or just a good story.
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Post by vodalian »

Very nice! Keep up the good work. :)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re:

Post by pyramid »

Those stations look excellent! Congratulations for the good job.
As I am running out of stations to integrate, it would be good to post a mixed design of elements as an old relay station around the solar system, as jackS suggested.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Forsaken Relay Station ( now every body can make a station)

Post by Fendorin »

i will post soon but i need more texturation and i want provide twice "mesh" the one i post should(i hope) be the final and yes untill i finish other "sparse pieces sets" i will make a huge-pré/post-over-stick-FTL-multi-species-station (ouff...) but for the moment tryed to discover the "animation" tools in Blender then i did a little movie "in approching+landing"

DivShare File - Forsaken_commerces_center.avi

it' s a blender movie not ingame movie and is more a WIP Than a final models

and for download for use in your blog: (@CharlieG) (if you want)
http://www.divshare.com/download/5608790-592
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Looks good Fendorin - perhaps you could provide some more of your other (especially R'laan) bases? :D
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i will try but for be honest isn't my first task on my todo list ( but something like ad/trailer isn't a stupid target.)

edit:
Help me to improve my english don't let me be ridiculous with a 3 year old english : when i write english please say me where i m wrong (if i m wrong ) thank