LEMMA Unadorned Corvette

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Exactly. The Streaker:
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=8038#8038
And also for the (frontal) Heat Ruster noodle; and the Scratcher noodle --yet to come.
Parts of LaGrande.
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

It took a while (the beginig of the semester offers some fun and adventure), but I've finished optimizing the mesh.
She's now about 12k faces, regular mesh, no vertex shared between tons of faces, no UV overlaps.

Forgot about rotating up the front direction of the UV-s a chuck suggested, but the whole layout is made with that in mind, just it was more confortable that front looks to the right (bad habit's won't change), so it's just a matter of rotating the whole layout (and the upcoming textures).
I've made a quick AO bake, ant I saved the UV layout too.

LOD-ing is yet to come, but meanwhile Fendorin might start texturing it if he haven't changed his mind. (Give me an e-mail address, or drop me one, if still interrested and I send the files).

Oh, and I've remodelled the lateral nacelles, since I never liked the previus one (which was at least the third version, and still ugly). The new one looks better I think.

And one question: does the shield mesh needed to be unwraped, or I can leave it without any UV coordinates?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

And one question: does the shield mesh needed to be unwraped, or I can leave it without any UV coordinates?
no need : for shield just a mesh is good (no uv) personnaly i now i put the shield mesh with the main model in blend. files llike that is better for the converting tools ( placement&size)

and for texturing : i asked Jacks about unadorned's patterning , he didn't reply.(or is not so clear)
and honestly you ' are a good texturer you don't need me for finish you'r own model

plus i will be busy since this next month my contributing time will be very few

thank
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Well, thanks, but I'm not really experienced with texturing.
And I don't know how much contribution time will be available for me to, but I thope I can spare some time. School's geting more and more time consuming, and this year, we should start doing our graduation work. Which gave me an idea btw... but thats OT.

So I don't know when I will finish her, but if there's any info on the color scheme, then tell me. Or it might be better for me to come up with something, which would be a good practice on colors.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

ok we a both busy

then be organized and we will figure/finish up/out this model

1_first do the uv map in 1024X1024
for the uv map i see in this forum a rule: the front of your ship (the nose)
should be up in your map and the tail should be on bottom of your map ( don't ask me why i ignore why) but is a tips for .... i don't know

and if you know the cockpit place, missile bay, doors, indication give it to me ( for exemple the "square" in the nose what is it? the long stick on the "wings" ;sensor or beam? EDIT: use the unit-blender marker into svn repository on your blend model

if you did a turret the mesh need to be separate ( i think) and do the uv map too maybe 256X256 is suffisant

2_ post your blend file use a Divshare account or something like that or PM me your file

3 when i m Texture your ship
try to make the shield mesh
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Damn, I missed your post. Sorry.

I think I will start texturing her, since I need more of that kind of experience, but I appreciate any tips, like about tiny details and such. Note: I'm not talking about mindless greebling, because that's not better then using big words without anything to say.

And of course, any critics.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

We don't have much info except the color scheme: Pink,Dark Gray,Dark Green, the last 2 colors being predominant.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

pyramid wrote:We don't have much info except the color scheme: Pink,Dark Gray,Dark Green, the last 2 colors being predominant.
At the end of this thread jackS provides some further detail on the proportions of the different colors used:
The key is to not use too much of it. Most of the unadorned ship surface would be grays or full-on unpainted. The pink should be used very sparsely, and the greens primarily for indication of confederation allegiance (I can't remember the status of the confed logo, but the unadorned will happily stamp it on their ships in green)

It's also worth remembering for the Unadorned that they aren't nearly as logical as they think they are, but that everyone humors them, kind of like that math/CS professor who always wears the same clothes every day but nobody says anything about it to his face because he has a Turing award.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

@deus siddis i have noted your research thank for keep our brain in alert!

@Nózmájner: what kind of software you use for texturing? i did some brushes with PS (most is for rlaan but some is for human and you cant imagine the time you earn when you use brushes anyway you can download on deviantart(the brushes))
if you want for helping to put some detail i should post for you? is like you want.

@pyramid & Jacks the Logo is still underdev. or is finish yet and can't be change?
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Doh, I totally went on another direction with the color scheme, thankfully that can be changed without much effort. Thanks for the pointer, pyramid, Deus Sidius.
To be honest, I didn't wanted to use too much gray, but g"reen can be a problem" (hell, no, but it's from a lyrics lyrics, sorry. Green is fine. And I agre with Fendorin (or anybody who said it), that there should be more color in the ame than gray and blue ). Pink will be funky :D

Fendorin: I use Gimp, and I don't really use any special brushes, but one can always try.

Anyway, here's some progress report images, I post tem, just to keep myself motivated:

The plating might look a bit shaggy on some places, but that's not UV error, just some shaggy plating, somwhat like on the F22 Raptor.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i support you in your color crusade !!!

you don't need any help you are a really good texturer
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Yupp, let's start the chroma-crusade, Templar Fendorin!

I reworked the colors based on the faction scheme. Here she is:
(Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Here's the real thing:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Nice Nózmájner i like the pattern 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

really nice

continue like that
for the kitty is fun but beware i know the people company of this licence/brand i hope you never finish in front of court for use the hello kitty pattern

but good to see you are like me

when you will see a LV pattern on a LTC ship......
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

lol, don't worry Fendorin, he's not going to get sued for a mockup posted on a forum. I don't know why people are so terrified of being sued these days; unless you make money out of someone else's IP the worst you might get (if you were making something very high profile) is a cease and desist order, OH NOES!! :)
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

It was most like a joke but my english is maybe so bad for giving you the feeling.(i will stop to try to be a joker i promis)

Well i like the last proposition of the unadorned pattern maybe the grey could be more dark and the color, less blured/more shiny (mean more contrast and color point gliter)

thank
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

No worries, I haven't been freightened.

On contrast: I'm not sure there should be too much of it, at least Value contrast, since it's a military vessel, so you might wand to avoid stir, but hey, I'ts a game already, so it can be considered. Other contrasts can come in to view though.
Thankfully I thinked forward, and made a proper layering of the source file, so it can be tweaked without much effort.

And here's the second self motivation progress report:
I've tweaked the colors on this one, as suggested by Fendorin.

I consider the overal plating an coloring is quite finished. The next stepp will be those small details, like sensors, personel airlocks and such.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Can't wait to see what comes out of the BFG's in your turrets :wink:

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hi

i like my proposition ...lol (but is true)

just a question: what is a size of you map ? 2048? i cant see any pixel on the fine-plate-border
cause for me is always my problem, when i did some detail; i can see some pixel and is ugly but not on your texture?

really nice job
Nózmájner
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Nózmájner »

Loki1950: BFG? Big Front Gun?

Fendorin: Yupp 2048, so there's place for tiny details. It's kinda cumbersome sometimes, since my machine is no pwer plant, but I think it will worth the effort, even if it will be donwsized 1024 afterwards.

Anyway, is there a way to make a normal map without baking a more detailed mesh (like with the help of a bump map)? Because I'de like to indicate the plating borders with that, but a simple bump map could do some freaky things, as I experienced once a while.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Loki1950: BFG? Big Front Gun?
Good enough the front is a more colloquial English word for sex :wink: and i think the reference was for one of Doom's weapons.Although there may well be earlier ones 8)

Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Nózmájner wrote:Anyway, is there a way to make a normal map without baking a more detailed mesh (like with the help of a bump map)? Because I'de like to indicate the plating borders with that, but a simple bump map could do some freaky things, as I experienced once a while.
Yes, you can draw a grayscale bump map and convert it into a normal map in gimp or blender.

What I like to do is open the model in blender and use some subsurfacing to create a higher LoD mesh and then use it on the lower detail in game mesh to create a normal map (and ambient occlusion map and light bake) and then I apply both that baked normal map and a hand painted bump map with all of the extra details to the low poly mesh and bake a new, final normal map to be used in game (or scaled down and used in game).
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: LEMMA Unadorned Corvette

Post by Fendorin »

hello i awoke this thread by posting the texture set for unadorned fighters:

tell my if you like the green stripe or if you prefer just grey+pink (like the left ship)

The ship are already ingame then we just need to compress and save over this texture map if accepted.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Those look great, personally I think the one with just the grey and pink looks better though. Also, I'm not sure, but isn't that yellow bit at the front meant to be made out of glass and be transparent/reflective?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

here the Texture pack
DivShare File - Determinat_tex_pack.zip
i don't know if it could be just saved over the current one.
Or if all the process need to be redone into Unit Converter?