Propose replacement for RLAAN' INSTALLATIONS

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Quote:
just one thing i use the svn version and some ship appear in white( means not good linked white the right texture) maybe it was just a name problem.
clydesdale,sartre,vigilance,shuanzong,admonisher,watson,confed fighter barack.... and maybe other but i haven't meet all ship(not good linked white the right texture name).

You need to make sure that ALL your units directory is synchronized with the latest svn. I have tested all the models and they just work fine here. All the ships you mention above have been renamed to the title case naming scheme, so it is now "Clydesdale" not "clydesdale". That's what you need to type into the unit name before testing a ship with UC.
I use the totoise tools and isn't launching with UC but with the game coming to svn

Quote:
the view mission ship is not working...

You mean to say when viewing from UC or when launching vegastrike modelview.mission? Did you set the data dir correctly in UC config section? what is the command window output that is generated?
I means the svn : mission view all ship, anyway it need to be rewrite because the latest ship you work (knight, bell, Xuanzong) is not writing in the code. and maybe it will be nice to have all installations too

EDIT: i wanted see the Rlaanmining rendering inside the game(svn). but it have just diffuse & no glow,no specular? is it a mistake or is just for prelim test?

just one stupid question :how you can now the position of a marker in the obj file???
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

I don't get what is your problem. Can you post the last lines of the stdout.

The Rlaan Mining Base has both specular and glow. Make sure you set your shader to best in vssetup.

The marker is exported with its vertex coordinates. That's from where I read the position.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i have the latest svn version "revision12468"

it have some problem for check the art:

-white texture on many ship

-no glow on the mining rlaanbase (i see it in a system with a confed outpost and it have a glow map&specular+mirror effect but not the rlaan base)

- another thing : currently the rlaan use some confed base las model. like the fighter barack: it can't be the one you did because rlaan use the confed model same for gaz station,and outpost,

and i m not so sure but this svn version: i can't see the thruster (blue or green) "the flame" if you want
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Re: white texture
Is the behavior the same with all shader settings?

Can you try editing the Modelview.system with the unit "MiningBase__rlaan" and running from command line the modelview.mission and see if you get the rlaan mining base displayed. The problem might be that your savegame doesn't know the new base yet.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Re: white texture
Is the behavior the same with all shader settings?

yes all combination: shader+level of detail

i thing the view all ship mission need to be rewrite

i will try to open the command line but what is it command line???
(i haven't any skill in computer's hard thing i know the artistic thing if you want but no the "cores")
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Then open "vegastrike\data\sectors\Special\Modelview.system" with an editor, replace the unit line with the following one:

Code: Select all

<Unit day="20700" faction="confed" file="MiningBase__rlaan" name="A Base" ri="2059833" rj="-400" rk="0" si="0" sj="-400" sk="2059833" year="1118260"/>
Save the file.
Now goto Start>Run type in cmd (that will open the command window)
change to vs bin dir: cd "C:\..\vegastrike\data\bin"
and run vegastrike "vegastrike modelview.mission"

See the rlaan mining base?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i will try but in fact all the glow map+thruster doesn't appear in the svn version
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Strange indeed. When you look in the commit log, they are there; it's the tex_003 textures.

Btw, what are the tentacles in the Rlaan Medical mesh. There seem to be no textures for it, neither does your preview pic earlier in this thread show them. Do they make part of the station or are they obsolete?
It seems also when I import the obj file into blender, the surface is not smoothed.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Strange indeed. When you look in the commit log, they are there; it's the tex_003 textures.
I means "in the downloaded game from svn the subversion" for ALL ship no thruster glow and (on my computer)
just a few are glow map

some havent a texture

the uln entourage haven't factionnalizing texture but the higborn have ?strange!

they have a lot of mistake\bug\error
it s maybe happen after the rename capitalization and reorganizations .

and the Rlaan mining base have the human mining commercial quality same for the fighter barack.. and maybe other

maybe it should be preferable to make all right stats to dummies ships: entourage, knight, regret....etc

and it's will be good to improve the "milky way" files i should be possible to buy a knight, Gtio, and other ship, kafka, sartre,....etc

and all with a right stat, right upgrade capability, right weight/sizes,....etc

all this work should be done before put new ships/models

we should take few weeks to do this work before continues to put some other new model

another think : in the unit data files they have a lot of ship but ingame is always the same and most of them static(maybe because the stats is bad? idon't know) or they are often under a crazy spec drive.

for exemple IMO is was better in the 0.4.3 to see some aera capital ship invade a system and destroying a station and every time the capital ship have some nice purpose in the 0.4.3,

but now is just a lot of civilian ship(often OX&Gleaner) around a jump point do some stupid movement and, inside this mass of vertices one luddite or two pirates ploshare try to skirmishing with 20 seaxbanes .
if you Have a good Graphic and bad or stupid content this game will be transform on nice viewer with a lot of gameplay problem.

after all this blames i will open a tread calling "ingame test+constructiv critics"...

@pyramid if you want we can work over the stats and maybe you could put a new pages in your unit converter for fix the most important stat.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

When importing obj in blender, make sure that smooth groups is on; then you have to highlight the whole mesh with A in edit mode, then hit W -> Set Smooth. For some reason, they made Flat Shading the default.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

the confed fighter barack was right implemented in the 0.4.3 version
is not about shading : the Ancestors,Clydesdale..etc is white too
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

chuck_starchaser wrote:...then you have to highlight the whole mesh with A in edit mode, then hit W -> Set Smooth. For some reason, they made Flat Shading the default.
Ah, that was the part I've missed. Now it's perfect.
Fendorin wrote:@pyramid if you want we can work over the stats and maybe you could put a new pages in your unit converter for fix the most important stat.
As much as I'd like to jump into tweaking the stats (ship and installation sizes should be reviewed first), I do see my current role more in the coordination of activities and mainly tweaking the artistic pipeline.
The reason I am committing so many units is to test the UnitConverter. Still a lot of work to do there. Once I have finished the UC, and documented the workflow, I will certainly favor raising the standard for submitted work (art + stats).
Then I will move on to another topic because I feel the same way you have described it: the nice graphics is able to attract players but not sufficient to keep them. Storyline is a must. But before we can write nice stories the engine must still be further improved (faction relations, planet types, ship ownership, mission scripting, ...)
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Propose replacement for RLAAN' INSTALLATIONS

Post by Fendorin »

pyramid wrote:
Btw, what are the tentacles in the Rlaan Medical mesh. There seem to be no textures for it, neither does your preview pic earlier in this thread show them. Do they make part of the station or are they obsolete?
yes you should delete into blender i will keep this idea for another station
i m not sure if we can mix uv+procedural texture
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i finish the texturing on the strafortress:
darkish pattern:

and clear/light pattern personnaly i prefer this one:
is more about contrast and is not so bad for Rlaan

the render is little bit dark: i m sorry

i worked on the interior: the landing pad for this starfortress should be like that:
@alls say me what do you think about this landing 2d view ; i wait critics!!!!

loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Beautiful perfect replacement for the generic one that is used at present a bit of the under water feel of the Oceanic planet would be nice to have some more rlaan specfic rooms :wink: hint hint :lol: if you don't already have too much on the ever growing to-do list Fendorin.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Very nice, Fendorin. I would take it as it is.

*EDIT*
The Mining, Fighter Barracks, and Medical are committed.

Whenever you're ready with the Outpost and Star Fortress, please post the files.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

off course i m ready

DivShare File - STARFORTRESSv2.zip

for download the 2048 pixel image: http://www.divshare.com/download/5580042-fa5

soon the outpost but i need to rework the mesh and the texture

but for waiting i will post a NEW one "the Rlaan" contact/exchange/(commercial):
DivShare File - RLAANCIVILEXCHANGE.zip

pictures preview:
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Jaw-droppingly fantastic. You are a talented modeller Fendorin.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Modelling is just the medium it's ART with capitals yet :) an other beautiful one Fendorin :D Takes after the human commerce centre's shape abit i guess merchant types of any race are rounders :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Strange things are happening with my blender. When trying to zoom in on the star fortress in the viewport, after zooming a little the camera refuses to zoom further in. As such, I am not able to exactly position the dock markers. Also when i try to move the marker it just jumps according to the main grid. Looks like there is some grid snap option on for the last problem which I can't seem to find. chuck?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

@pyramid

maybe it 's because the "center" of your point of view is changing

for center on selected object(or point) hit numpad "."
for center cursor on the center of the grid hit "shift+C"

if it not that i m sorry
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Great! That helps a lot. Today I'll finish the integration of the star fortress.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Rlaan Star Fortress and the Rlaan Commerce Center are committed.

@Fendorin,
If I may suggest some improvements to the workflow:
* Use "Relative Paths" in blender when creating textures. This will make redefining texture maps unnecessary.
* When naming textures do not use spaces in the names as even on windows nvcompress doesn't accept spaces. Instead of naming e.g. "rlaan spec.png" you could name a texture "rlaan_spec.png" or "rlaanSPEC.png" as long as there are no spaces in the name. This will prevent the need to rename textures for compression.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

@Pyramid
it's noted.

i see the rlaan Starfortress ingame i was depress because just the Diffuse map appear on all Model... i wanted check if the glow map is right or new idea for improve my skill with texturing but...