Area carrier early mesh

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Re: Area carrier early mesh

Post by Deus Siddis »

Ares wrote:focusing crystal might not have been the right term.... but just a large transparent lens type emitter thing. just use a alpha channel perhaps?
I think it might need to be a separate object with a separate material. It would follow then that everything under that material will shade at the same alpha level. So you wouldn't be able to draw windows or anything into a texture with an alpha channel using an eraser tool.

I might be operating on old information with this however, since chuck and klauss have done alot of work on shaders and the graphics engine in general. They might have added support for alpha channel within textures, or they might have decided to use that channel for something else for sake of efficiency, which would not have been a bad call, imho.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

For stuff like glass you need a separate xmesh file; with its own UV unwrap and texture set. In the file, you need to edit the fourth (alpha) parameter
of diffuse color to 0.1 (from 1.0). That will tell the shader that it should use fresnel reflectivity. What the shader won't do for you is any kind of
refraction effects. Not yet, anyways. You can also use a normalmap with it if you want a slightly wobbly surface.

This is assuming fresnel still works in VS's shader; I can't remember if klauss changed that.
Here's a wobbly glass normalmap:

May not look wobbly; but it is.
nelsonclassic
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by nelsonclassic »

Hello friend,

Concept of sketching lacks few of the important points,like dimensions of front end etc :roll:
So I think you should mention some more points...to give clear idea about your concept...
But I liked shape you mentioned and use of 500 polygon....

Regards,
Nelson
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

im guessing your referring to that sketch they had of the planned shape for the carrier, it seems pretty well decided that my mesh has been deemed usefull or not usefull for other tasks. just kinda annoys me, i liked the swoopy shape of mine... heh. I'm finishing my old rlaan mesh (texturing) once i figure out how to get wings to take a texture file into it after renaming.... this programs always been a little wierd.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

That's why we use Blender ;)
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Ares
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Ares »

if someone would care to explain the general workings of blender to me, i'd be more then happy to listen, i myself have tried to use it several times and the interface just feels inconsistent and incredibly overcomplicated. Wings does what i need, and unfortunately i dont have 3DS max available here...
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

Ares wrote:if someone would care to explain the general workings of blender to me, i'd be more then happy to listen
What would you like to know? View control, translate-rotate-scale? How far did you get with blender?
Caret
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Caret »

Coraxus
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Coraxus »

I know this is gravedigging but I thought what I wanted to add regarding the topic about the ship design. Is the Aegisipolis supposed to be a carrier or an old cruiser?
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hi Coraxus and welcome
her you will find a Description of Agesipolis:http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/media ... Agesipolis
and here some picture related to the more advanced!! Wip was always done ( i guess more as a readeable concept than others thing )
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=5509

The modelization is still open for every body want contribute as if you come with a willingness to figure out this ship .
Coraxus
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Coraxus »

I've decided to take a different approach after doing some research about this ship and the outcomes and conclusions I've made upon seeing the visual concepts and descriptions. I thought it was necessary to create a new topic for a proposal which you can view the topic right here:

Agesipolis Concept Revision Proposal