Logo stuff

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Logo stuff

Post by rivalin »

The current logo/title as it stands is a good basic idea, but a little rough around the edges in design terms. In essence, it's not versatile, it looks good in, and was designed for, one context only; in 2d on a black background.

The combination of a transparent fill gradient on the text with a white outer glow directly placed over the a logo which itself has a fade applied to it is just too much. The lack of contrast makes it look less than impressive on different coloured backgrounds and the complexity makes it extremely annoying to do in 3D.

ImageImageImage

That being said, and it is just personal opinion :), what I’ve come up with might not be to anyone around here’s taste, I prefer sharp, simple and clean deisgn, geometric patterns etc. I’ve tried to focus on something simple and iconic and that looks good in different contexts, has decent contrast against any background colour etc etc.

logo;

Overlays and title screen;

ImageImageImageImage

Couple of slightly different draft logo animations;

http://rivalin.blip.tv/

Anyway, it’s just a suggestion and no worries if it’s not up to spec for official inclusion, I’m probably going to start a little mod so as not to let any rejected stuff I’ve come up with go to waste, so the templates can be used there if they aren't wanted.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Rivalin, the way the logo was arrived at was a process that took months, if not years: First there was a sticky thread calling for proposals that went on and on, punctuated, once every few months, by calls for decisive action. Finally action came and there was a poll, and people voted on concepts; then there was the perfectioning of the final form process, with long discussions, and then more voting on the final form.
I could be wrong but I highly doubt any of those who were involved would be happy to hear the logo being called "rough around the edges" (it isn't, IMNSHO) or would welcome a reopening of the subject. I do agree that perhaps a subtle vertical gradient (maybe the other way around) would have been a good idea, in retrospect; but I think the current logo is damned good as it stands; and more importantly, it's the result of probably the biggest experiment on consensus and participatory democracy in all of VS' history.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

No problem, if the subject's closed then that's fine. Anyway it was an honest appraisal, made in as neutral a tone as possible, with the proviso that it was a personal opinion and with the intention of trying to contribute to the game.

Anyway, as I said I can use the templates for a new mod where I won't be stepping on any toes. I don't mind people telling me what they think of stuff I come up with, (and what I came up with here might not be any good) so I have a hard time understanding how my previous post could be construed as offensive, but if it was I apologise. :oops:
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Logo stuff

Post by pyramid »

Though the current logo was designed before my VS time, I like a lot the subtleness of its design.

But your ship profile layout is appealing and would make a nice addition to the wiki or even base computer screens.