Cargo Images [COMMITTED]

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

You could just as easily open the master_part_list.csv from your data folder, search for the item and read the description.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

pyramid wrote:You could just as easily open the master_part_list.csv from your data folder, search for the item and read the description.
Replace the word "easily" with "with great difficulty and causing your brain to explode" :D. I havn't got a clue about stuff like that, I wouldn't have found it in a million years if you hadn't told me where it was. Should make things a lot easier now.
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

VSTrade let you read the description, without having to open the master_part_list.csv... after setting the vega strike path and saving, just go to the cargo tab, and find the cargo... I know, it might be a hassle to install as well, but, I just wanted to mention it... (because I made it, hehe) It also shows the cargo image...
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@rivalin you can also get those images with your web browser :wink: as the subversion repo is accessible with web-dav.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
elli222
Trader
Trader

Post by elli222 »

i think that these images, and the tutorial should be (when ready) added into the game as a patch!

I just really wanna see these bril images in this bril game.

Surly it isnt that hard to make a executable (.exe) or a shell script (.sh) to replace and add files :D

but dont ask me for help, cos the only script i've wrote is
-----------------------------------------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

cd /usr/share/vegastrike-0.5.0/bin; ./vegastrike-64
-----------------------------------------------------------------
to fix my loading problem. :/

Anyway Goodluck with all those images, lookin sweet!
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I think the plan is to have an updater app or even just a zip could do that of course if you run the svn version in userland or on windows you get them as soon as pyramid commits them :wink: basicly what i've been doing for the last two years :D and with each release maybe offering just the changed files again a zip file could do that or Delta RPMs and Debs i know that fedora supports delta rpms not sure if Debian has that functionality in the deb package format though so we avoid that but gulp of a download :wink: and since the original package is a dependency it would be pulled down as well for new installs.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

thanks for the tips guys :), got another one done;

Bio-Remodeller

http://www.box.net/shared/s27l6wpcso
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

elli222
Trader
Trader

Post by elli222 »

err i think i prefer the current diamond image to be honest...

but the other ones hes making...!!!

an updater app would be pwnage- I thaught of mentioning this as a feature request once, but i had no account....
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

If you run the svn version you always have the latest data as well as the newest bugs :wink: it's not that difficult to setup on any of the platforms we support there is a good article in the wiki in the How to section

rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

New diamond cargo image (+ other gems) as apparently the last one wasn't good enough :)

Really though, a photo of a diamond is going to look better than a rendering, but you may have noticed that commercial games, almost without fail, never, ever use photographs in game, mainly because it looks incredibly tacky. For the sake of consistency, even if it's not as realistic, a cg image should take priority over a photo. But obviously my opinion's no more valid than anyone elese's so yeah, if it's not up to the usual VS standard of artistic talent then don't use it, I'm sure a professional gem modeller capable of doing a better job will come by any minute now. :P

(+ the current one is apparently very low res and probably of questionable copyright status)

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

http://www.box.net/shared/8gstvre8ss

I don't think they're too bad for a second attempt.

ps thanks GoldenGnu for that VStrade thing, it's extremely useful
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

rivalin wrote:ps thanks GoldenGnu for that VStrade thing, it's extremely useful
Thank you :)

I really like the new image of diamonds

IMHO, you should make another one with all the colors for Jewels
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

some more cargo images, these can be used wherever they're needed, plastics, glass, metal etc, just general refined materials;

ImageImageImageImage

http://www.box.net/shared/jozhlkwg84
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Terraformer/atmospheric processor/factory or whatever cargo image, this one's not very good, as the effort required to get it looking nice would be a bit of a waste on a cargo image, but I thought it might be wanted for something.

http://www.box.net/shared/gadb13ds0c
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

great

All your pictures is very nice
i like the athmospheric processor

thank for your work
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Noticed most of the weapon cargo images are of a chaingun from an Apache or an A-10 or something so I thought I'd have a go at some. These can be used wherever appropriate, if a class of weapons needs a specific number of images just tell me and I can render more as needed.

light ship weapons of some kind with mount points etc;

ImageImageImageImage

http://www.box.net/shared/mtxal4tus0

medium ship weapons of some kind with mount points etc;

ImageImageImageImage

http://www.box.net/shared/jbn991xwcg
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Some weapons are projectile based (like my favorite one, the mass driver), some are beam based (Like an steady stream of particles, like an ION cannon). Do you think you could differentiate between the two?
AMD 4800 - NVIDIA 7600 - Slackware Linux 12.2
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Personnally for your question ( differentiate the kind of weapon)

Personnaly(again) i think yes
Is better to have a different picture for different weapon especially for differentiate "faction weapon" between Rlaan,Aera,Confed,Human....etc maybe you can try to develop aera style weapon(see the few concept artstyl) and Rlaan to (i will wait for "biological style weapon" create by you)
you can show the bolt too : i m explain
for your Mass driver : on the picture one "canon" and show the projectile too?? no??

i don't know if it long for you to create all this picture below, but if you make different picture for different weapon of course is better
and why not keep the color-change for level (ex: photon gun mk1;mk2;MK3......etc)

but otherwise is always a pleasure to see your nice picture

thank for your work
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

I think the mass drivers and razor cannon already have updated pictures.

ALL of the beam weapons need updated pictures THOUGH.

And some of the projectile need updated images, like the reaper or disruptor or laser cannon.

I think some of your pictures might go towards the microwave laser cannon, or other beam weapons.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

It actually might be best if you update all of the weapon pictures so that everything is in the same style.

Here is what I would assume to be a complete list of the weapons in the VS universe on the wiki:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Category:Weapons

To save yourself time and great a logical and consistent look to weapons, you can probably build one weapon per species and technology type, and then take pieces off of it to represent less advanced or powerful versions of it.

So for instance, Humans build two or more types of Ion weapons, including the Ion Beam and Heavy Ion Beam. So you build the Human Heavy Ion Beam model, then strip it down and scale down the geometry a little to make the Ion Beam and then render both as separate items.

Also, I would suggest you make the glowing parts all or predominantly one color and maybe render a number of different versions, each using one color. Then this can be matched up with the color of the beam that you see in-game, for sake of consistency.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Another batch of the cargo images has been committed to svn including sources. This is up to the atmospheric processor and not including the weapons.

@rivalin
good work! keep it up.
rivalin
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by rivalin »

Thanks for all the comments guys, and yes they all make sense, however the idea of sorting through that list makes my head hurt so how about this;

This is a community project so a little teamwork might help me out, I'll do the work of designing and rendering the weapons (Deus Siddis' basic scheme sounding best) but what would help me out would be if someone could give me a list of what to do eg

1x medium aera capship beam primary colour grey, secondary colour black, glow and beam colour green

1x light.....

and so on.

some suggestions on the general layout of each would also be useful.

Anyway this would really help me to focus on getting them completed as quickly as possible.
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

How about the picture that is currently used as the razor gun be used as all the projectile weapons, and these new pictures be used as all the beam weapons. that way they would all look good.
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

rivalin wrote:Thanks for all the comments guys, and yes they all make sense, however the idea of sorting through that list makes my head hurt so how about this;

This is a community project so a little teamwork might help me out, I'll do the work of designing and rendering the weapons (Deus Siddis' basic scheme sounding best) but what would help me out would be if someone could give me a list of what to do eg
I think pyramid or maybe jackS would be best qualified to answer that.
1x medium aera capship beam primary colour grey, secondary colour black, glow and beam colour green
This would be best answered by jackS. But until he shows up, some rough pointers as I understand them so far:

Aera technology is a lightly shaded (high value) with a yellowish/mustard, cyan and light grey color scheme. Their weapon glow effects are usually light green.

Humans use medium shade (medium value) with blue, green and medium grey color scheme. Their weapon glow effects are usually light blue.

Rlaan use a dark shade (low value) with purple, red and dark grey color scheme. Their weapon glow effects are usually light purple.
some suggestions on the general layout of each would also be useful.
This would be best answered by jackS. But until he shows up, some rough pointers as I understand them so far:

Aera use an angular style with beveled edges. Their technology has a single frame constuction-- no visible modules.

Humans use a less angular style with more rounded edges and conic section type curves in some places-- basically a maybe little rounder than the Aera but not alot. But their technology does use a modular construction-- the subcomponents or their housings are visible on the outside in contrast to the Aera.

Rlaan use a very organic curve style, which is basically inspired exclusively from real life Echinoderm and Arthropod Invertibrate Animals (maybe look at the different forms of these on wikipedia or google images for inspiration). Their technology can have a number of simple parts obvious on the outside like domes, spires, spines, etc., but they are well connected by organic curves of 'tissue' like geometry to the rest of the object.
Anyway this would really help me to focus on getting them completed as quickly as possible.
Alot of the specific details we as artists need for in game technology artwork is still being filled out by the devs, but hopefully someone else will be able to come along with more specific information than myself to help you with this.

If that doesn't happen immediately and you find this gets too complicated though, you might want to finish your work rendering trade item pics and then come back to this later when it's been made more clear what needs to be done.