Some Artwork if you're interested

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Tektonic
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Some Artwork if you're interested

Post by Tektonic »

I had posted this on the POV-Ray forum, and someone requested that I make available for Vega-Strike. So, here it is; if you're interested you're more than welcome to use it. If you like this one, maybe I'll try and make some more. I assume the intent was to use it as a backdrop for a planet?

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Re: Some Artwork if you're interested

Post by pyramid »

Welcome Tektonic. Nice work.
Are you willing to license your work under GPL? And if so, can you share the code with us?

As for the planet type placement I'm not so familiar with the architecture of the different races but the magenta copulas remind me of rlaan.
Tektonic

Post by Tektonic »

Thanks.

Sure, this image can be licensed under GPL. As for code, do you mean the POV-Ray script that I used to render this image?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

yea, the povray script in case in the future someone wants to make some edits to the image without having to chuck it. It's not a mandatory requirement, but it means it's much more likely to be used in the future.

This is excellent as a planetary background when you've landed and such, the only thing i'd suggest is getting rid of the lens flares since theoretically when you're looking at the docking area of a base, you're from an imaginary 3rd person view ...not looking through any lenses of any kind.

Also, for base backgrounds like this, it's a good idea to not have moons and things in the atmosphere, since the planet that the image gets used on may not have moons at all... minor issue.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
vodalian
Hunter
Hunter

Post by vodalian »

That looks awesome!
Dunkelheit
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Dunkelheit »

that's the kind of backgrounds i'd like to see in VS
GREAT!!
You know you have been raytracing too long when ...
... You take a photo course just to learn how to get the lighting right.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

All the reactions here are so positive that I wanted to play devils advocate and complain a bit. So I looked, looked harder, searched for that imperfect pixel, but alas it's just pure lovely graphics.

Can't see anything wrong with it! :roll:
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I can charlieg :wink: but only from a game canon point of view been suggested for the rlann but the atmosphere is not think enough as the rlann are methane breathers.but that's a canard as the artist did this for something entirely different and should be judged on that basis 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Tektonic wrote:do you mean the POV-Ray script that I used to render this image?
As safemode mentioned, yeah, the script would be great so we can adapt it to the needs of vs (remove moons, lens flares), create views with other camera positions, and eventually build on it for other planets. Good work.
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Great work Tektonic! I'm not sure what all the complainers want to change about it :oops: . I think it's perfect as it is!

-Mike
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Yes Very Great job i want see it in VS

But i have a big complains : where is the Other !!!!! i want more you'r work is very nice make it more

Whe need a lot of Base Background
show this thread too:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=9093
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... :2D_Images
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=7600

and what kind of software you use for do this picture ?
is it you create the city??
i m very interested by your method!!
Tektonic

Post by Tektonic »

Well, thanks for the compliments everyone, I'm glad you like it. As requested, here is a link to the zip file with everything you need to render this in POV-Ray.

http://www.tektonart.com/TektonicArt_TheColony.zip

For those who asked, this image was rendered in POV-Ray, which is a free raytracer available from http://www.povray.org. The city is made from a macro script I wrote about a year ago which generates buildings like the ones in the image. The macro is included in the zip file, so feel free to try it out.

When I have time, I'll try my hand at making some more. :)

Thanks,

Kirk
http://www.tektonart.com
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

i see your private porflio

maybe you can use both :make some art for vegastrike and improve your portfolio with very proffesional background you made for this free project(VS)

If you want of course but we need your skill for sure.

if you want help us i have some idea about base background.
I know you will so busu with other job then i will try to post in this thread
some concept for you (always if you want) for gain time .

what do you think???
Shark
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Shark »

Tektonic wrote:The city is made from a macro script I wrote about a year ago which generates buildings like the ones in the image. The macro is included in the zip file, so feel free to try it out.
Yeah, that macro produces pretty incredible results.

In your portfolio I also see an image of an iron gate with a vine pattern. Was that pattern also created using a macro?

It's amazing what you can do with macros/plugins in POV-Ray. See for example some loading screens I made for the GearHead roguelike:

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Quadran ... arhead.htm

-Mike
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

@Tektonic
Your sharing of the source is highly appreciated. I'll try to stick this wonderful view to some rlaan planet and then commit the source together with it for future enjoyment, reference, and learning of the community.

EDIT:
Well, I've played a bit with the different views but no idea where I'd put the ship other than on barren rock. If there'd be a volunteer to make a landing place inside the city, it would be great.