Need race, planet, station etc. specifics.

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Gustav
Explorer
Explorer

Need race, planet, station etc. specifics.

Post by Gustav »

I don't know if it is even available or ever considderd, but I need a complete data rcord sheet of every system, it's planets and stations_ as well as to who it belongs to. A lot, I know... but I am creating some graphical art type work for the game that needs a bit of contextual realism. I need to know what station orbits what planet. If I am creating some areal battle scene there needs to be a degree of convincing interaction between factions groups and races.

I don't kow if this makes sense. But in creating some artwork recently I noticed that I can't just mix and match as I see fit. There is some documentation with the game and a very handy scale reference guide. But I need more. I'm using already made ship designs ad textures (with abit of tweaking for quality, planetary texures, statins etc. (as well as some of my own designs) to create

I'll post some tomorrow so you can see what I am doing. Which brings me to something else: how do I post thumbnal pictures on a forum... I've never done it :oops: . I know I need to upload the files somewhere first. Is there some place anyone can recommend...

Thanks
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

you realize that the vast majority of systems are dynamically generated right? Only a couple systems are hand made to the point where you can say "so and so orbits this or that and has such and such faction in control at this and that position"

There's well over a hundred systems i believe, generated. The makeup of what factions control what is completely dynamic outside of the couple hand-made systems that still exist.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There are just two hand built systems Sol/Sol and Cephid 17 the starting system so all the other systems are subject to change.There are a few other constants they can be found in the milky_way.xml file in the universe folder.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

I have thought of how cool it would be to have at least a couple other notable sol centric systems get modeled by hand. Alpha centauri comes to mind. Maybe model a "home" system for the Aera and Uln
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

For your specific universe, there is a utility called vsmap3d that allows you to view systems and their owners. Check it out in the user utilities section of the forums. :wink:
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Forgot about that utility it uses milky_way.xml or wcuniverse.aml if you load the Wing Commander universe you can find it in this thread http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... php?t=6774 .

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The types of planets in each system are actually predefined. There is a "planets" field in each system tag (in the milky_way.xml) that represents the list of all planets, moons in a system.

Bases, and other factional units, however, are dynamically generated per saved game.

The exact positions and types/textures of each planet are dynamically generated the first time you enter in the system, based on the list of planets and a random seed.
Gustav
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Gustav »

Uhmm,... oh. Thanks. I did'nt know. I knew the game was creating some dynamic universe everytime I started, but not that dynamic!

As for vsmap3d, I am definately going to try it tonight.

Anyway. I posted a image in another thread as a example of what I am doing. I'll propably post the others during the course of the week.

Thanks
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

btw, it should only generate a things when you start a new campaign, if you are loading a savegame it should skip all that and use what it previously generated. If your save-game is generating a new universe each time you load it, then your save-game is out-dated and you need to ditch it and start a new one.