Call For Cargo Images

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Call For Cargo Images

Post by pyramid »

We are in need of missing and improved artwork for cargo images.

Today's monitor resolutions make images with 128x resolution look blocky. It is time to upgrade those to at least 256x256 resolution.

Please submit your art in at least 512x resolution to prepare for future needs.

In terms of licensing please consider that we only accept the licenses listed in Development:Graphics_Requirements#Licenses.

The full list of current needs can be found under Development:2D_Images#Cargo.
In the first phase we want primarily to provide for missing cargo images, while in the next phase we'd like to focus on low-quality low-resolution images.

You may want to have a look on the Development:Cargo_graphics page for information on cargo images specific formats and also on the Development:Graphics_Requirements wiki page for generic art requirements.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello Pyramid

I do some cargo picture for the tractor/repulsor thing

FOR TRACTOR CAPABILITY:
FOR TRACTOR BEAM
FOR HEAVYTRACOR BEAM
FOR REPULSOR BEAM

I HOPE it was help you quest
thank
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Great contributions!

Just some comments on the tractor capability.
* you might want to remove the "Andromeda's" since I'm notsure it would be according to canon (anyway what is it standing for?)
* the -20% discount for bounty hounter does not really reflect the functionality of the game engine. I don't think you get different prices based on your faction.
* The wording in the bottom line should be improved. I do envision something like "Available in popular upgrade shops"

The other images are very fine.
elli222
Trader
Trader

Post by elli222 »

my suggestions for gold: all in DDS for your convenience
http://files.filefront.com/gold+suggest ... einfo.html
(cant attach in this forum D:)

PS: image taken from wikipidia and the (previous) license before editing was Public Domain. but i dont wanna specify a license so you pick one :D
Xit
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Xit »

I thought Fendorin's top poster had some nice points - I've been away for a long time, but I remember talk of faction discounts, depending on your relations with them. Also "Hole Mart Ship-Shop" seems like a good pun to me.

Seems more like an Elite style flyer than a cargo image though...
Save The Economy
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?t=10605

My boxes: Dual Opteron 280s, Geforce 7600, 2GB RAM, but waiting for a new PSU! grrr...
500 MHz Compaq laptop that gives DC electric burns
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello

When i m said "20% for bounty hunter " is just a joke for put some funny thing into vegastrike that all, i will never think it's could be don ( and for the moment you can't be a real factinalized-bounty-hunter.

is just some "clin d'oeil"( in french in text)
and the Andromeda's is like a company name ( render the game more human)

i think is better for put player in some "atmosphere"

if you make some relation with the "reality world"(now in 2008) it's will be great

Nobody can say me " i never try to link Andolian with some WEB ADDICT"
Shaper with some Brazillian (think about nip&tuck)
Unadorned with GEEK
Purist with european ( i m european i know what is it)
Highborn with LORD of the queen eliza.....
Rlaan with some industrial insect/ant
Aera with some agressive reptile
Forsaken with some globalization-forgotten people in the real world

is normal !!!! we need reference for our imagination

the great artist PICASSO said every imagination\creation need to come from to existing part for be interressant( or something like that)

it's mean if you create a new thing you need reference with a existant thing (i don't know if my english is good for explain my meaning)

bu i hope you will understand

sometimes we just need to be relax and just advance
Breakable
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Breakable »

IMHO adding atmosphere in images is a good idea,
even if its not true - some developer might get motivated to implement it actually.
This is what is usually missing from commercial games.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
Albert Einstein
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

*mistake*
Last edited by Fendorin on Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

hello i cear the picture

Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Re: Call For Cargo Images

Post by Fendorin »

here a new cargo image for "Basic missile" maybe -Dumbfire missile-

gopher292
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gopher292 »

Here's the current 128x128 image for Advanced Medicines in SVN:

Replacement Option 1:
Image (source)

Replacement Option 2:
Image (source) (xcf)

Both sources are CC-BY and over 512x512. The 2nd one is a little grainy at that resolution, though.
Will one of these work or should I try to find something better?

Edit:
There's also this photo at sxc.hu and this one at morguefile, but I'm not sure that they're licenses are compatible or not.
=B

Edit 2: Added link to xcf for option 2 (pre-scaled). (Lots of cloning/smudging.)
Last edited by gopher292 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gopher292
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gopher292 »

I found the original image for Aera Rations here at NASA's site (Public Domain). It's index number S62-06780. The image is 480 high, so would have to be replaced when we step up to 512x, but I could resize it for 256x for now.
=B

Edit: There's also the bottle images on this page that could be used. (Or for another cargo item if Aera's don't "eat" liquid "food". :?)
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Thanks. I'll wait for a couple more inputs before I commit. I like to do the things in batches. Resizing for borrowed images is not really required hence it is such a straight forward task.
gopher292
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gopher292 »

Current Image for AI Cores:

Proposed Replacement:
(source) (pre-scaled xcf) License CC-BY-2.0. Pre-scaled xcf size: 1200x1200.

BTW, The NASA photo has a label on the bottom, so it needs to be cropped as well as resized.
=B
gopher292
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gopher292 »

Original Alkali Metals image:

(Source) CC-BY-SA-3.0

=B
gopher292
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gopher292 »

Animal Products:

(source) Creative Commons Attribution 2.0.
=B

Edit: On the wiki page, you have the following images marked as 128x, but there are 256x versions in the repositories: armor01(plasteel.png), armor02(isometal.png), and armor03(hullpatches.png). (By rivalin.) You don't have an entry in the sources directory for armor02/isometal, though.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

Thanks for pointing this out. Looks like I forgot to update the wiki after my last cargo images commit on July 25th. Now, the page is really up-to-date. Promised :roll:
gopher292
Explorer
Explorer

Post by gopher292 »

"Aromatic Scents":

(source) CC-BY-SA-2.0.

(source) CC-BY-SA-2.0.

(source) CC-BY-2.0.

If anyone has the original render/photo for this, I'd just as soon use the old one (scaled to 256x of course), unless somebody thinks one of these is really better. :?

I'm skipping over the cargo images for the armors since I stink at 3d rendering (and modeling, too) and there are some really talented 3d artists around here. I'll probably skip artificial limbs and artificial organs. (I might try to get something for organs since it really needs replacement).
=B

Edit: here's a candidate for artificial limbs, not too great, somewhat gross. :P

Edit 2: BTW, You have alleyne_sheathing.jpg and atasan_furs.jpg in the Masters/Textures/Cargo Repositories, but they're not listed on the wiki page. Do these need to be replaced, or have they been removed from the game and are just leftovers?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

gopher292 wrote:You have alleyne_sheathing.jpg and atasan_furs.jpg in the Masters/Textures/Cargo Repositories, but they're not listed on the wiki page. Do these need to be replaced, or have they been removed from the game and are just leftovers?
They are definitely unused and will be removed.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

I'm traveling and can't play, so I looked in the wiki for what cargo needs done within the tools I have with me. Black Market Organs looked fun, so here it is.
Even people out of favor with the government need medical care, and for those who can afford it, black market organs are as good for what ails you as the legal kind. With life support and refrigeration technology built into each container, these organs can stay fresh longer than ever.

There is also a 1024x1024 version, that shows all the greebly details, for future needs:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... organs.png (1.7 MB)
What do you think? I could do another version of this, with better lighting and a less seedy-looking backdrop, as an image Artificial Organs if desired.

Oddly, the task list did not have the cargo listed, so I added it.

Turbo
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

That's really good, Turbo!
Those colored cylinders look terribly out of place, though; but I understand the need for some kind of refrigeration attachment.
Maybe it would look better using the same color as the box, even integrated with it, like extensions on the box where a gas
cylinder snaps in, with a single pipe coming out at one end, or something like that.
I love the serious look of the box, its bluish lining, wall thickness, un-marked-ness... Well thought out.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

Thanks. Imagination can make up for limited skills. :wink: It's unmarked (except the biohazard signs) because the onboard computer screen tells you what's inside, the status, when to refill the O2 bottle, etc. And it has the other stuff such a container needs: latches, handles, vents, recharge socket, and computer interface socket.

Now that you mention the tanks, I think the cyclinders look out of place not because of their color, but their cleanliness and fragility. The metal bands hold them in place, but they lie exposed so that one hard bump could cause a gas leak. So maybe I will enclose them in a protective cage, put some smudges and scratches on them, rearrange the pipes, and add valve handles which I just realized I forgot to include. Modern oxygen tanks are green so I want to stay with that, though the waste tank should probably be more drab in color, so I'll make it rusty gray. I'll update the cargo model afer I finish recording Oswald's voice, so we have a couple more days to discuss it before I finish the cargo model. Plus I'll make a less seedy version of this item, to use for Artificial_Organs.

Turbo
Turbo

There are two speeds in combat: stopped, and as fast as you can go. Unless you run into something, going fast keeps you alive more often than stopping.
Turbo
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Turbo »

OK folks, here are black market organs and artificial organs. They come in the same courier container with automated life support, but the difference is the background and lighting: one is a seedy Pirate or Forsaken base, the other a cheery mainstream medical station.
Image Image

1024x1204 versions here:
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... ns1024.png
http://www.willadsenfamily.org/us/don/t ... ns1024.png

Turbo

Edit: I'd add these to SVN but the tools to convert to DDS like to crash my video card.
Turbo

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The cargo images up to here are now in svn.
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello here a proposition of Robot workers pict :