Load / Splash Screens

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Load / Splash Screens

Post by pyramid »

In another post http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/forum ... hp?p=96700
ace123 wrote:When loading I think it only uses the three splash screens defined in data4.x/animations/load_screen.ani. Perhaps we can stick all the screens into load_screen.ani, and have it use that animation as well for starting up?
There are 2 loading screens that are used today:

Code: Select all

<var name="loading_sprite" value="load_screen.ani" />
<var name="splash_screen" value="splash_shmrn.ani ..." />
The ani files under splash_screen are being loaded on startup until the menu loads.
The ani files under loading_sprite are loaded during save game loading, new campaign generation, or when you run a mission from command line.

I see two possible approaches to joining splash images into the ani file:
1) Having only one ani file which is loaded in both places, which would be easier to maintain.
2) Have 2 different ani files and organize different type of content for them:
* startup loading ani could show useful information about VS engine and universe basics, like e.g. key maps, strategy tips, info about races (splash_aera.ani, splash_rlaan.ani) and factions, concept art.
* savegame/campaign loading could display the splash agency screens that mostly relate to things happening inside the universe or relating to it's history, where actually most of the existing splash screens would go.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Like the key map idea though it may not stay on screen long enough to be useful :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

What about a simple and oh-so-very-simple (but still pretty) "Loading..." for before the menu starts?

(it can even be animated)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

One thing that bothers me is being shown screens with text to read, but not given enough time to read them. Perhaps there is no need to show multiple screens; just one at random each time you start the game.
On the other hand, that frontal view painting of a ship by Oblivion is just too gorgeous to ever not show; but it could be shown as an initial splash, followed by one random pick among the many other screens available. Just my 2c.