graphics size in data4.x

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

safemode
Developer
Developer

graphics size in data4.x

Post by safemode »

Just a reminder:

For the most part, everyone already does this, but a few commits to data4.x have made it through that do not.

all textures in data4.x should have dimensions that are a power of 2. Regardless if they are dds or png. It'd be ideal if they were also power of two in Masters, but that's not required, but the exports to data4.x should always be some power of 2.

For png, this is mostly a speed issue, since if it's not a power of two, we do the scaling at load time. It's just best to skip that step and have it be a power of 2 from the start.

for dds, this is an absolute requirement.

Ps:
If the person who contributed the new shield and hull HUD images doesn't like my scaling of them, please resubmit, but make sure it's done at a power of two.
Culture20
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Culture20 »

A further clarification for the non-mathematicians out there:
Not "something" to the power of two (3^2)...
Instead, A power of two. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_of_two)
ie 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, ...
Points of curiosity:
is 1x1 (2^0) in the list of safe image sizes?
the dimensions should be square (no 2x512)?
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The shield, armor, and planet-hud graphics are now all committed as POT (power-of-two) and dds compressed. Originals (png) are in master. This mismatch has two reasons 1) me completely missing the POT requirement when creating those images 2) not being completely certain that 2d images need to be dds, too. My apologies.

The point is gotten. I'll put up a wiki page during the next days to list all requirements for all types of imaginary (it's partly already there but for planet textures and cargo images only).

The image ratio depends on the image type. It's 2:1 for planet textures, 1:1 for cargo images, planet hud images and space background faces, 4:1 for current shield and armor face images. And yes, 1x1 images are allowed.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Actually, ratio does not matter at all... it just will influence the detail level.

The reason planet textures are 2:1 is because latitude has 360 degrees while longitude only has 180, so half as large.

Square things make sense to be 1:1, however other things can be pretty arbitrary, usually round to the closest power of two, for example 400x300 -> 512x256.

And I believe 1x1 textures are allowed, for example if using a texture with a single color, or a transparent image.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

As announced, here's the wiki page Development:Graphics Requirements.
It will be updated as the requirements change.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

indeed, ratio wont matter. Just once your mipmap for the smaller size reaches 1, it stays 1 until the other side reaches 1. 1x1 is the smallest texture, but 0x0 is valid too (not as a file). 0x0 turns off texturing. This is why incomplete textures when mipmapping is being used in the game cause that entire texture chain to be disabled.