Texturing help?

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Katran
Star Pilot
Star Pilot
Location: Somewhere close enough to earth for real time net conncetion

Texturing help?

Post by Katran »

Alright after having looked at the other models for a while I threw them out (unfeasible and really rather bad) And I have come up with a new one that I believe eliminates the problems I had with my previous one, unfortunately the blender view looks a bit confusing (it's all triangles/and does not give a good perspective) So I was trying to texture it first before posting t, I currently have an unwrapped layer/image thing, but I am unsure of how to proceed from here, and have not found any useful information so far on how to proceed, does anyone have some good tutorial/links they could reference me to for texturing?

Thank you all for your time, and dealing with my ineptness...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I assume that you have had a look at the tutorial links in the wiki or a PM to one of our resident blenderheads chuckstarchaser comes to mind as a few of those tutorials he wrote :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: Texturing help?

Post by chuck_starchaser »

Katran wrote:Alright after having looked at the other models for a while I threw them out (unfeasible and really rather bad) And I have come up with a new one that I believe eliminates the problems I had with my previous one, unfortunately the blender view looks a bit confusing (it's all triangles/and does not give a good perspective)
The key [5] in the NumPad toggles between projection and perspective views.
The [Tab] key toggles between object and edit modes. Object mode gives you a view without the triangles.
The [Z] key toggles between solid and transparent modes.
If you see triangles in Object+solid mode, it means you didn't turn on smooth shading. Go to Edit mode, hit [A] to select all, then [W] -> Set Smooth.
But you probably need some sharp edges... (your ship looks like a semi-deflate beach ball at this point)...
So, go back to Object mode, select your object, press F9, go to Add Modifier, and add the Edge Split modifier. Set it "From Sharp" on, and turn off "From Angle".
Now, go to Edit mode, go to edge selection mode, and any edges that need to be sharp, highlight them, then Ctrl-E -> Mark Sharp.
So I was trying to texture it first before posting t,
Never do that. Your model should look gorgeous and awsome in gray shades first, then texture.
I currently have an unwrapped layer/image thing, but I am unsure of how to proceed from here, and have not found any useful information so far on how to proceed, does anyone have some good tutorial/links they could reference me to for texturing?
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTos
Start from Understanding Smooth Groups and on down.
Thank you all for your time, and dealing with my ineptness...
We're all beginners at the beginning :D