Willing to submit Earth/Mars unique backdrops and then some

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Seriphyn
Explorer
Explorer

Willing to submit Earth/Mars unique backdrops and then some

Post by Seriphyn »

I, not personally, is willing to submit a unique backdrop for both Earth and Mars to replace the standard university styles. However I am not sure what kinda style it would be in...so i was thinking.

- Since Earth is more or less a backwater and degenerate, would a blade runner style skyscraper city be appropriate? Or more utopian? Is Earth all highrise or actually like today albeit more curvier and sleeker?
- Mars doesn't seem to be terraformed...at least because of the artwork from space...so what kinda city would Mars be? How about clean, sleek highrise skyscrapers under a huge pressure dome with a yellow sky?

Are we looking for replacements for the current university planets? Maybe to bring them up to standard with oceanic or arid? If so I can see if I can get those on the similar style. What about commerce station too maybe? Or unique agricultural and gas station artwork?

What resolution would they have to be in as well?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

for information on Mars in the VS universe, please see http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/Terminology:Mars (in short, habitable but unpleasant. Living structures would be generally removed from the elements for a goodly number of reasons, but full-fledged doming would be superfluous for any of the newer Martian cities.)

re: Earth
I wouldn't really describe it as either backwater or degenerate, certainly not degenerate. If a backwater, then only in the sense that it's no longer the actual seat of power, not that it has become an economically insignificant entity relative to other particular planets. It's more in the same position of many current cities that are both modern and were the capital of a lost or faded empire. It's a mixed bag. With too much history to start clean, many things are left that no longer have a proper place, or are as inefficient as the roads through an old fortress town. But they remain, even if the glory days that saw them built are gone, because they've become the character of the place.
The key to Earth is that it isn't any one thing, unlike many of its colonies, who have refined themselves into narrowly focused existences. It's certainly not utopian (although the environmental cleanliness part has mostly been figured out) -- in 3276 CE you can still get mugged on Las Ramblas ;-) -- but it's not a dystopian existence either, nor one with uniform architecture nor uniform... much of anything.

As for resolutions, it might be worthwhile to shoot for something that can be adapted (or distinct versions made of) to cover both 4:3 and widescreen 16:9/16:10 resolutions. Last I checked, 1K on a side would be a minimum resolution, 2K on a side a reasonable maximum.