Archimedes (new shape for old ship)

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

chuck_starchaser wrote:The rest of the materials are bogus materials, really.
I just wanted to note that that (texturing first with bogus solid colors to separate one material from the other) is a tried and true texturing technique. The idea is to get a preliminar texture so you can see how the material separation goes and if it makes sense/looks well/unwraps well, and then you send that base texture to some artist (or do it yourself) that does the final texturing job.
chuck_starchaser wrote:There just aren't materials that mix diffuse an specular in equal parts, but the tarsus body does.
There might... why not? Imagine a 50%-reflecting coat over a totally white diffuse surface. It would be gray-gray.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Post by chuck_starchaser »

klauss wrote:
I just wanted to note that that (texturing first with bogus solid colors to separate one material from the other) is a tried and true texturing technique. The idea is to get a preliminar texture so you can see how the material separation goes and if it makes sense/looks well/unwraps well, and then you send that base texture to some artist (or do it yourself) that does the final texturing job.
Exactly. What I do is assign my diffuse and specular colors inside blender, bake them, test them, fix them, try again.
And those bakes are a mighty good way to get started on the texturing.
chuck_starchaser wrote:There just aren't materials that mix diffuse an specular in equal parts, but the tarsus body does.
There might... why not? Imagine a 50%-reflecting coat over a totally white diffuse surface. It would be gray-gray.
Depends on the kind of coat. Most coatings reflect dielectrically, which never reaches anywhere near 50% reflectivity at right angle. Now, semi-clear metalized paint might do the trick. The other question is what's the material *under* the coat. Matte materials are rare; mostly just fabrics and paper; some ceramics, some paints designed to look matte. For matte reflectivity, you need photons to enter the material and bounce multiple times, so that when they come out they come out in any random direction. I think it boils down to that only a special paint could be 50-50, and would be a matte-gray base and a metalized coat. But this is a 3-layer paint: the metal dust has shininess of 1.0, whereas the dielectric medium has possibly high shininess, and low, fresnel specularity. And let me tell you, the body of the Tarsus looks pretty weird. Dual Joe asked me what material it was... :D
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

chuck_starchaser wrote:
klauss wrote:
Exactly. What I do is assign my diffuse and specular colors inside blender, bake them, test them, fix them, try again.
A similar technique that can sometimes be useful to save time and better hide seams is to create one or more procedural textures for a model and then bake them to create the base detail layer for the final diffuse/specular textures.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

WoW...
Realy great. Too bad I dont find long time fun in Cargo Howling games :P
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

@legine: ...
Vega Strike won't be fun if all you do is haul cargo. Try blasting people's eyes out. Fun.

Also, try the storylines in Parallel Universe, a space trading game is not all about space trading ;)
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
legine
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by legine »

Hehe.
Those ships are not fighters... ;)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There are others but you have to work for them :wink:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Deus Siddis wrote:
chuck_starchaser wrote:
klauss wrote: I just wanted to note that that (texturing first with bogus solid colors to separate one material from the other) is a tried and true texturing technique. The idea is to get a preliminar texture so you can see how the material separation goes and if it makes sense/looks well/unwraps well, and then you send that base texture to some artist (or do it yourself) that does the final texturing job.
A similar technique that can sometimes be useful to save time and better hide seams is to create one or more procedural textures for a model and then bake them to create the base detail layer for the final diffuse/specular textures.
One of us (at PU), Dual Joe, he was proposing using procedurals for metal. He even got out his camera and went on a field trip taking snapshots of metals. But this didn't pan out. Why? Because metals don't really *have* texture. Sure, you can get rust, or scratches, or dirt. Well, in space you don't get rust, but forgetting that... :D
Anyways, the kinds of "texture" we're talking about for metals only exists at very close range --arm's length. From 100 meters away you don't see the little scratches and stuff. To represent stainless steel on a space ship, all you need is black in diffuse, 60% gray in specular, and low shininess. Done! Well, if you want to get dirty, you can sprinkle a bit of perlin noise onto the shininess. That, in fact, is what makes the surface of the engines on the Tarsus look somewhat irregular. I actually put a bit of noise in the specular, which gets amplified by the shader when it computes shininess from specular.
Same goes for paint. Paint doesn't have "texture"; it just has color.
What I do is add dirt streaks trailing from bumps and grooves and features. And I add a bit of rust, and a bit of scratches and stuff. Done!
When you over-do it with the texture, the texture looks over-done :D
90% of good texturing is getting the materials right. The rest is icing on the cake. A gorgeous texture without proper materials is like dressing a ship in a beautiful pajamas, but a pajamas anyhow. If you want a ship to look real, you need to put real materials on it.
If you look at a lot of space sims out there, you'll find that the ships look like toys made of paper and plastic. Why? Paper comes from the undue emphasis on the diffuse texture. The emphasis should be on the specular and the shininess; but people always start with diffuse.
The plastic comes from the common but terribly false belief that you can produce a specular texture by desaturating the diffuse. Nothing could be further from the truth. The only materials that have colorful diffuse but gray-scale specularity are plastics. High gloss paints also have desaturated specularity, but their specularity also has fresnel characteristics (reflectivity changes with view angle). Common paints have similar color in specular as they have in diffuse. Metals ALWAYS have same saturation and hue in specular as they do in diffuse (if they have ANY diffuse reflectivity at all).
But I digress... What I was trying to say is that you don't really need a "texture" for almost any material, unless the material is painted with a pattern, or is dirty, and you can get dirt and variations of surface polish by sprinkling a bit of noise in specular and shininess, respectively; you don't need a sophisticated procedural for that. Now, if you were trying to represent wood, or cobble stones, or something like that, then yes.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Using these rules, VS and its mods will be groundbreaking in the art of 3d graphics. I don't think I've seen a single space game where the materials look right - let alone planets.

:D History in the making.
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Indeed.

Another way of looking at it is, you can start by painting a texture, if you want, like most texturers do; but instead of misleadingly calling that first texture "diffuse", just call it "albedo". Albedo is the overall color you see off a material. And keep in mind that, for each material...

albedo = diffuse + specular

So then the question is how you divide up that albedo color between diffuse color and specular color. For metals, it all pretty much goes to specular. For matte ceramics and matte paints, it all pretty much goes to diffuse. The in-betweens are sparse and far in-between. For plastics, the gray-scale component of the color goes to specular, and the rest to diffuse.

Or... Even easier; step by step:

You got your first texture; albedo.png.
Set up a new texture called "specular.png", fill it with black. Now,

1) Decide what parts of albedo.png are metal, select them using the select-by-color tool, in Gimp. Copy, then paste onto specular.png with 90% or 95% blending. Merge down.
2) Decide what parts of albedo.png are plastic, select them, copy, paste on specular.png; but before merging them, desaturate them. 100% blending. Merge down.
3) Decide what parts of albedo.png are glossy paint. Select, copy, paste on specular.png. Bucket-fill the pasted layer with white. Set blending to 6% to 10% alpha. Merge down.
4) Decide what parts of albedo.png are semi-gloss paints. Select, copy, paste on spec. On the pasted layer, use Colors -> Hue/Saturation, and bring saturation half way down. Blend with 50% alpha. Merge down.
5) Decide what parts are chrome or gold, select, copy, paste, bucket-fill the pasted layer with white or yellow, respectively. 100% blend. Merge down.

Any matte paints or other matte materials stay black.

Your specular texture is done, sir.

You can add noise scatter to it, but be sure it's invisibly small amounts of it, like 2 or 3, correlated.

Now, for the diffuse texture, make a copy of albedo.png, call it diffuse.png. Open specular.png as-layer on top; change blending mode to Subtract. Merge down. Save.

Diffuse done!

Shininess: On a separate texture, starting with black, make very glossy things like chromes and high gloss paints white. Make semi-gloss paints and plastics medium grey. Non-polished metals dark grey. The rest black. Add noise to taste.
Save it as shininess.png for future reference.
Copy and paste into the specular texture's alpha channel (you may need to Add Alpha Channel to specular.png). Save.

All done!
Neskiairti
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Neskiairti »

wanted to toss out.. there are some games that made planets pretty well.. ever played X3? they were just missing the outer atmosphere.. it was there, but it didnt display as it should.

they did the scale right, and the atmosphere was 2 textures moving at different speeds and different directions, while the planet itself was another texture.. also moving.. then it was only illuminated by the star, so you had a nice 'dark side' yet there were pinpoint lights of cities on many of the planets.. or glows from a magma planet through its atmosphere...

vegastrike could defenately do better.. but it should think in that direction. ^-^
Deus Siddis
Elite
Elite

Post by Deus Siddis »

@chuck

Alright I guess I'll ditch the procedurals then, let the shaders do the work.

In fact, for the smaller craft like fighters, I'm not sure we even need to add visible dirt, weld lines or rivets for the most part. Think about it. From the amount of punishment they take, these craft seem like they have been as solidly constructed as at least a modern battle tank, and they mostly operate in a vacuum free of dirt and oxidizers. Add to that that directed energy weapons like lasers are often used against them, so a consistent, almost mirror like finish should be highly beneficial.

This is kind of how I have thought spacecraft in the distant future would look like for a while now, but this look would never have worked in games before since you generally only had one kind of texture to work with, limited poly counts and no real effects. Now that we have options that were once limited to pre-rendered artwork only, in realtime games, I suppose it is time to switch from trying to hide technical limitations to making things look accurate.
pyramid
Expert Mercenary
Expert Mercenary

Post by pyramid »

The Archimedes is now in the game data set.

@Fendorin, could you also make a shield mesh, please?

The masters repository blender file has mount helper objects (as described in the wiki) for the seven engines and 2 for turrets. The complete conversion and units.csv editing process was entirely done with UnitConverter mainly to test the converter tool.

What is still required for this model:
* Shield mesh
* LoD meshes
* Placement for remaining 23 turrets
* Stats review (size was updated in blender and vs to 2500 m)
* Wallpaper
* Screen shots
Fendorin
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by Fendorin »

Hello

@Pyramid could you think we can have some in game screenshot???
about the Archimedes with the 2 turret??

Thank