Hm... Kinda accidentally made a ship...

Thinking about improving the Artwork in Vega Strike, or making your own Mod? Submit your question and ideas in this forum.

Moderator: pyramid

Katran
Star Pilot
Star Pilot
Location: Somewhere close enough to earth for real time net conncetion

Hm... Kinda accidentally made a ship...

Post by Katran »

I was fooling around with Wings 3D (Have had it for a while) and I accidentally came up with this, it is not done by any stretch of the imagination, but if you guys want me to finish it (suggestions would be appreciated) I'd be happy to finish it and send it in. I also have no idea where this model would go... I just kinda made it... (Sorry)

PS (I hope that works.... ignore anyinformation i gave photobucket to... :D )

PPS (AM looking in to where I can help vegastrike the most (I know python, some C++, some java, SDL.... working on graphics)

EDIT: Have made a more smooth version to but it is easier to weld surfaces when their are less of them on a bunch of diiferent angles.... and smoothing makes lotsa polygons fast....
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

You should avoid having quads that aren't flat, and polygons with more vertices than 4. At least I think so. It doesn't hurt to follow these rules anyhow.

BTW, is that Weendohs or some kind of Linux?
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Katran
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Katran »

Linux, Fedora Core 7 specifically, am fighting with my NVIDIA driver before I install Fedora Core 8, but that's come in the near future for me.

Thank you for the tips, the none flat ones are a product of using the smooth feature from wings 3d... And I kinda made the two polys with more then 4 vertexes because the original vertexes were screwing it up rather badly... I will look into this.

Thank you again!
GoldenGnu
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by GoldenGnu »

I really like the style! :)
I guess it's still a quite simple model, so It'll properly need more details/smoothing...

Somehow it reminds me of the Privater 2 models... But, it might just be me...

I definitely think you should finish it, even if it doesn't get in game, you'll get a lot of experience making it... There are some really good modelers here. I'm sure they'll like to help, with any problems you have...

Anyway, I have no saying, what so ever, about what goes into Vega Strike, and what doesn't...
VSTrade - A Merchants Guide to Intergalactic Trading!
0.3.0.0 Stable (3 july 2008)
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Katran looks vagly Arean in shape.have fun

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Katran
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Katran »

Alright, I have a more smooth version, but it works better to add items on the non smoothed version, so what should be added? Cockpit, weapon mounts (make spinal mounts), and is there any source of artwork guidelines for the areans? So I'd love to finish it (will take some time my week days are pretty full) but ideas and requests?

Oh, I took that part that you complained about having too many sides and Quadrangulated it (now 2 triangles and 2 rectangles) But in the smoothed one it wasn't an issue

Thanky for all of your time!
Katran
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Katran »

Alright after some fooling around here goes....

This one is the same except had had the hexagon de heexagoned and has been smoothed a bit:

This one is my personal favorite of them all so far...

a few of the things these could possibly used for; a new graphic for Dodo (Artsytle guide says ULN hate boxy things and current one is boxy); a diffrent tugboat; small space fighter; small cargo hauler...

Opinions? Comments? Questions? Concerns? Suggestions?

Oh and does any one know good tutorials on unwrapping and texturing and such? and an explanation of what that really is doing...

Thank you for your time
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

@Katran there's a unwrapping tutorial in the wiki it's blender based though.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
rigelan
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by rigelan »

Are all of your quads exactly flat? It'll cause issues if they're not.
AMD 4800 - NVIDIA 7600 - Slackware Linux 12.2
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

Rigelan: Pretty much what I said ;) Feels good to hear other people saying it too ;D
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
Katran
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Katran »

um.. I think they are... any way I can check? (Or I could Triangulate the whole thing... that would solve it either way...) in Wings3D preferably...

Oh and the one where the basic ship is basically crossing thru itself... (last one i posted) I think the parts inter penetrate is that a problem?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

I think the parts inter penetrate is that a problem?
Simple answer yeap you wont be able to unwrap it :wink: you might try importing it in to blender so you can get a different perspective on those problem areas.