Demand for vegastrike64.exe... [SOLVED]

For collaboration on developing the mod capabilities of VS; request new features, report bugs, or suggest improvements

Moderator: Mod Contributor

chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Demand for vegastrike64.exe... [SOLVED]

Post by chuck_starchaser »

... and corresponding .manifest, has begun:
http://wcjunction.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=547
Last edited by chuck_starchaser on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

another reason for splitting /bin out of data4.x and redoing the svn repository as per the developer's focus thread.

I'm just glad i dont deal with windows dev platforms. all that wierdness just to get 64bit and 32bit binaries to compile and work would have me killing people.
Ed Sweetman endorses this message.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

I do disagree with sticking the .exes in SVN. Why not use the download service? Hrm de ja vu on that issue.....
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I'm all for a separate bin svn tree with different os (cough mac cough) executables that links to data.
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

@Safemode: Which dev platforms do you deal with?

As I understand, there's a lack of Mac devs here. I don't really know who to turn to :/
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

linux ... hellcat does mac
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Wolphin, of PU's forum, started working on a download utilitity; not sure how it's coming along; I guess he's been busy with other things. Anyways, I'll suggest to him OS auto-detection and svn bin trunk selection based on detected OS. Or, we could have 3 general utilities for Lin, Mac, Win, and each would autodetect version, distro or whatever within that category.

In the meantime, though, any chance of just getting a vegastrike64.exe and vegastrike64.exe.manifest in the usual spot?
Phlogios
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Phlogios »

@chuck: That is exactly what I need :D Especially for PU. I'll watch the thread. :)
"Enjoy the Choice" - A very wise man from Ottawa.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The source is there.

Anyone who actually has a copy of windows XP x86-64 edition should go ahead and try to compile it.

The main reason from my understanding that no one has done this yet is that no one I know has a 64 bit windows version... and 32-bit programs should work on a 64-bit machine, but not vice versa, so nobody has asked for this before.
Same goes for 64-bit mac (I just ended up installing the 32-bit version).

For Linux, while many people now (including me) do use 64-bit linux, it has really good support for 32-bit compatibility libraries, so again it probably isn't worth the effort packaging two separate executables.

For someone who is truly interested in this, the windows projects are avaliable, and if anyone has any way of building a 64-bit windows EXE I would be happy to work with them on getting it to compile.
From my understanding all it should take is using a 64-bit version of windows, and then changing the project's "target" to Win64 instead of Win32.

Edit: Any specific reason we need to distribute a 64-bit binary? Does 32-bit switch to compatibility mode or cause it to be slower?
safemode
Developer
Developer

Post by safemode »

32bit in 64bit kernel shouldn't be any of a performance hit compared to regular 32bit mode really. The game is way GPU bound than cpu bound anyway, so you wouldn't notice any perf hit anyway.

and in linux, the game is pkged and distributed in 64bit, where 64bit dists are carrying it. That's the big difference between linux and mac/win, we dont do linux binary distribution, we let the dists do it and they distribute whatever is native to them.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

64-bit should be a liability, really, as all pointers and references double in size. The only reason it's faster is the AMD64 architecture has twice as many registers in 64-bit mode. But this in fact is a huge performance advantage; though there's no arguing with the argument of the gpu being the limiting factor. Really, the biggest advantage of 64-bit mode is for the OS trying to manage virtual memory (the real virtual memory, NOT the swap file), which is virtually impossible when the size of the virtual memory is the same as that of the physical.

In any case, I guess the immediate problem that a user in vista 64 encounters a problem with the manifest. What should we do about that? Have a .manifest64 for users to rename?
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The specification seems to say the "processorArchitecture" attribute is optional, so perhaps removing just that attribute will solve the problem.