A Tweak to the Cargo Computer

For collaboration on developing the mod capabilities of VS; request new features, report bugs, or suggest improvements

Moderator: Mod Contributor

daveesq
Explorer
Explorer

A Tweak to the Cargo Computer

Post by daveesq »

I don't know about everyone else, but I really don't like having to drill down all the categories available in the cargo trading computer to get to the actual cargo. Especially when I don't know what's selling high and low at a given port and especially as there are now subclasses within subclasses of cargo.

I'd like to see the tree of cargo expanded from the get-go, or - as a halfway step - have the top level categories, e.g. "Natural Resources," condensed, but upon opening one of them, have the sub-categories and/or sub-sub-categories, e.g. "Food" and "General," already expanded.

I think it'd make cargo trading a lot easier, more scrolling notwithstanding.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I would have to agree that the cargo purchase system is a little bit clunky, but I feel like a hypocrite b/c i don't contribute anything to this great game :? . Maybe after this year of school I'll have some time. Now I just play a bit and fry some pilots when I have a moment free.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Actually, thats a very good point, not just the cargo computer, the upgrades screen and the shipyard menu, all takes a lot of time to browse if you don't know what you are looking for.

I have three ideas.

First idea.
Check box: [ ]:Expand full tree. This would just expand the whole tree.
(Simple and efficient)

Second idea.
Check box: [ ] : List mode. List all uncategorized. it would change view to a plain list like a Dir would give you. with category names as green and cargo white, no tree structure.

Third idea.
Allow us to use the keyboard keys to browse the list.
(I don't think this would be easy to implement)
up - go up.
Left - Collapse node
Right - expand node
down - go down.

That would reduce time lost finding stuff. Good topic.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

With the current system, can the keyboard trigger events in the python base interface. I know this is doable, but I don't know if its implemented. Hotkeys could really streamline the repetitive process of buying cargo.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

A for Buy (All) And [s] for Sell (All) would be nice.

Note: I think ill go deeper into python during my work vacation next month so i can try handling this kind of feature request... these don't sound so hard.
bgaskey
Elite Venturer
Elite Venturer

Post by bgaskey »

I probably know enough python to do it, but no time :( hopefully this vacation for me too. I want to help out. its alot more fun than english homework. and more rewarding.
Coragem
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Coragem »

Ok this going a little off topic but, yes, this is a very unique experience and very rewarding, since i decided to help with the project (or try to help at least) i have been felling a lot nicer knowing i might do something and say, that was my little contribution to a great project. :)

As far as time is concerned, I'm translating the VS player's guide to Portuguese (Brazil) so I will not start anything else before i finish this. Because if i want my friends playing VS i got to give them a well done material to learn. this game is very complex for someone who cant read English and never played WC/Privater/Elite.
chuck_starchaser
Elite
Elite

Re: A Tweak to the Cargo Computer

Post by chuck_starchaser »

daveesq wrote:I don't know about everyone else, but I really don't like having to drill down all the categories available in the cargo trading computer to get to the actual cargo. Especially when I don't know what's selling high and low at a given port and especially as there are now subclasses within subclasses of cargo.

I'd like to see the tree of cargo expanded from the get-go, or - as a halfway step - have the top level categories, e.g. "Natural Resources," condensed, but upon opening one of them, have the sub-categories and/or sub-sub-categories, e.g. "Food" and "General," already expanded.

I think it'd make cargo trading a lot easier, more scrolling notwithstanding.
100% agreed. I'd like to go a step further on behalf of PU and ask if there'd be a way to get rid of categories altogether, both in the commodities AND upgrades GUI screens.