Multiplayer initial testing success

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Is a strest test for main test server form saterday to sunday is that a good idea?
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
peloskie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by peloskie »

mabie you guys should set up a combat prototype thing.

basically a combat prototype is nothing but shoot other ships in space and basically it's testing things out and such.

this is what the Infinity quest for earth people are doing. fl-tw.com unlike it's not opensource. and vendetta online did this in the past.

hopefully the multiplayer prototype testing will be availible as a stand alone executable for everyone to enjoy!
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

1. We done this is also...
2. And about executable is thans viewe things in the config file for conetion to the server...
Edit:
about pont one we use the codename for the fust test is quake in space...
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

i hef problems with the login the the server stanford server

error logs

stdout.txt

Code: Select all

Server IP : http://graphics.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/danielrh/accountserver/vegastrike - port : 6777

Initializing connection to account server...
 Reading 1400 characters...got HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:25:10 GMT

Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Unix)

Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100

Connection: Keep-Alive

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

Content-Type: text/html

d4 www26 pwd12 171.67.76.674 6777

Reading 1400 characters...recv returned -1
 Reading 1400 characters...got 0

Reading 1400 characters...recv returned 0
Network initialization error - exiting

stderr.txt

Code: Select all

\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp Enter <Unknown>
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp  enter <Unknown> with http://graphics.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/danielrh/accountserver/vegastrike
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\netui.cpp Initializing Winsock
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\netui.cpp Resolving host name... found : 171.64.77.146
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp accountserver on socket 01B2A8B8 done.
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp enter NetClient::loginAcctLoop
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp Buffering to send with LOGIN_DATA: d4 www26 pwd
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp Sent ACCOUNT SERVER login for player <www2>:<pwd>
   - buffer length : 15
   - buffer: d4 www26 pwd
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\netui.cpp Connecting to 171.64.77.146 on port 20480
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient.cpp >>> LOGIN DATA --------------------------------------
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient.cpp <<< LOGIN DATA --------------------------------------
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp End of loginAcct loop
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp Trying to connect to game server...
	IP=171.67.76.67:6777
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp  enter <Unknown> with 171.67.76.67:6777
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\netui.cpp enter <Unknown>
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\lowlevel\netui.cpp Connecting to 171.67.76.67 on port 31002
\Documents and Settings\danielrh\Desktop\scratch\vegastrike\src\networking\netclient_login.cpp created TCP socket (171.67.76.67,6777) -> 04769528
i hef the chants the password in the logs to pwd
hellcatv
Developer
Developer

Post by hellcatv »

There were server issues (not VS related) ---anyhow it's back up now...and you need the latest svn to connect :-)

If it goes down again you can probably connect to spiritplumber's server (look in spirit's sig) that one is a lot more active and has a much better sysadmin than me ;-)
Vega Strike Lead Developer
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

hellcatv wrote:There were server issues (not VS related) ---anyhow it's back up now...and you need the latest svn to connect :-)
thx fof the fix
If it goes down again you can probably connect to spiritplumber's server (look in spirit's sig) that one is a lot more active and has a much better sysadmin than me ;-)
And i think that the VS mod the main mod is also the main multiplay game...
note:
no info spirit's sig and withe mod use he?
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

can som one tell me whan the suport coming for trading and upgrade on the main mp server?
note thar is problem with the main server agen...
hellcatv can your (re)start the server agen?
peloskie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by peloskie »

www2 wrote:
hellcatv wrote:There were server issues (not VS related) ---anyhow it's back up now...and you need the latest svn to connect :-)
thx fof the fix
And i think that the VS mod the main mod is also the main multiplay game...
note:
no info spirit's sig and withe mod use he?
i was hoping for VS's multiplay mode to have more action, exploration and trading instead of a space simulation of capitalism which most common and today's space simmer actually want.

but you know what, i think there may be plenty of space games like that in development so who knows where things will go.
Moses
Trader
Trader

Post by Moses »

keep it modable as hell and the multiplayer working on any mod ... this is the feature why there are still freelancer servers online even if the game in terms of space simulation and economy realy sux ... and the developers never had mods in mind, so there was never any support form digital anvil or microsoft, but the game is still played ... mostly on extremly modded servers cause there is no other game yet than can match the moddingability of freelancer and got an persident multiplayer server.

so don't forget the aspect that would make vegastrike another game than infinity or eve, the ability to create your own weaps, own ships, own planets finaly your own universe and share your work with others or form comminities around a given universee like star wars or wingcommander/privateer...

-------------------------------------
battletech for example need other things than a privateer-mod in terms of multiplayer gameplay, gunner positions on battleships, a manageable hangar to assing pilots and equipment to fighters for the battleship captains.
there is almost no mmo aspect, maybe a character development with some skills might be possible but warfare in battletech is more like warfare today, you are part of a military force and only high ranks can change things on equipment or the vessel you are allowed to fly/command for the mission.

missions r usaly part of a greater campain, and miltary resources of your faction are limited, it need a few days to years to produce new units and even weeks to bring them into position, fighters, dropships and some other crafts can't reach other systems without the help of of jump or battleships (there are around 3000 systems known in battletech).

i assume it would be easier to make some kind of server configation-file to load a specail combat situation for the fight beetwen the factions than to store all the league data ... while space combat is just one part of battletech and most leagues using mechwarrior or megamech to fight thier groundbattles and some kind of online automation tio manage thier units, resources, wins and losses.

so much for the excurse what others might exspect from multiplayer in vs
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

Moses wrote:keep it modable as hell and the multiplayer working on any mod ... this is the feature why there are still freelancer servers online even if the game in terms of space simulation and economy realy sux ... and the developers never had mods in mind, so there was never any support form digital anvil or microsoft, but the game is still played ... mostly on extremly modded servers cause there is no other game yet than can match the moddingability of freelancer and got an persident multiplayer server.
The most of this things what your say is in the planig of the team...
And the Free lancer like multiplay is also coming....
The freelancer stile is also the test version of the mmo version of vegastrike....
And thuring the opensource nature of the project is purfect for making mod only your neet publist also the source code online....
so don't forget the aspect that would make vegastrike another game than infinity or eve, the ability to create your own weaps, own ships, own planets finaly your own universe and share your work with others or form comminities around a given universee like star wars or wingcommander/privateer...
The base on elte and wincomader and Privateer...
And 90%-100% of the ships and planets/ soler systems are oritenal work of the team or auto generator the only the sol/sol system in vegastrike is base on ouwer soler system only scale down to 1/3 of the oritinal sice...
-------------------------------------
battletech for example need other things than a privateer-mod in terms of multiplayer gameplay, gunner positions on battleships, a manageable hangar to assing pilots and equipment to fighters for the battleship captains.
there is almost no mmo aspect, maybe a character development with some skills might be possible but warfare in battletech is more like warfare today, you are part of a military force and only high ranks can change things on equipment or the vessel you are allowed to fly/command for the mission.

missions r usaly part of a greater campain, and miltary resources of your faction are limited, it need a few days to years to produce new units and even weeks to bring them into position, fighters, dropships and some other crafts can't reach other systems without the help of of jump or battleships (there are around 3000 systems known in battletech).

i assume it would be easier to make some kind of server configation-file to load a specail combat situation for the fight beetwen the factions than to store all the league data ... while space combat is just one part of battletech and most leagues using mechwarrior or megamech to fight thier groundbattles and some kind of online automation tio manage thier units, resources, wins and losses.
I dont know about battletech and i can not sea anthing about this...
only can sea that your free for making your owne modification in the source tree and share with the comuntiy...
so much for the excurse what others might exspect from multiplayer in vs
The network protocoll is now 90% finist...
And your can play in development version's of vegastrike...
And your can find it in the svn Repository...

Curent gole is for multiplay is that makt the protocoll stabel...
And later can we foces on freelancer stile multiplay and on mmo systems...
For mor infomation about networking can your contat ace123.
Or look in the wiki or in the fourm

And good luck... ;)

www2
Paslowo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Paslowo »

Thats pretty nice! Here are some things things to add in the short/long run:

* clan/squad system
* clan/squad owned starbase(how hard is that to do?)

And of course, theres got to be a limited numbers of systems(25-40) on the game universe so you will not end up with 99% unexplored areas with everyone getting lost in the long run.

Something that is a successor of the freelancer multiplayer that would be nice.

One of my favorite video which I would hope to see in VS soon:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWeT_z67Kd0

However, I am mind boggled on how starfighters and other various ships could be procedurally created. Planets and solar systems I am fine with.

I have no clue if this has been talked about yet but, besides having one server to host an entire game universe, would there be an option for one or any server to link up with the main server to become a network that hosts an entire game universe? Of course something has to be checked to make sure there are no duplicate names attached to it and the main server has to give the connecting server permission before they can establish a link up.

IRC did this I don't know if it's a good idea or anything beneficial for a game universe to be hosted like that or not.

It would be highly recommended that all linked servers are from the same geological location(like north america or europe).

I don't know any other method of this.
Moses
Trader
Trader

Post by Moses »

it comes to my mind that it would be better if the whole game is devided into server and client while the client process do all the 3d stuff and menues to interact with the player, the server process doing all the calculating stuff that might intresting for others players and npcs.

if u like to run singleplayer the server will be startet in a specail mode as child process of the client.

this wise the only diffrence between multiplayer an singleplayer would be how the communication betwen them is oganized.

this may take alot of time to split things up, but the mmo-mode is then almost finisched, the server just need some kind of accountmanagement and some motionprediction routines to compensate lag for the online mode.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

True that having to support client and single-player in the same binary is confusing, and has led to some more complicated code (logic like if it's a server or it's client-side in non-networked mode, do this directly, otherwise send a request to the server).

However it seems unneccessary to have a separate server for a campaign at this point--it would make some things much harder to deal with.

However, the client already has to do lots of calculation on its own -- it has to compensate for latency up to a second to receive the next set of data from a server. On the Internet, it can really take this long, so games have to account for this lag.

So a client still has to do physics on its own to predict what will really happen. In fact the current setup has the client being the absolute authority on that player's position (yes, it's asking to be hacked).

However AI is done on the server, and most stuff is as you described.

I think the main issue with the networking development so far was that Vega Strike was initially designed without any idea of making the game networked. And a few years ago the code base was so large that rewriting was not an option.

Motion prediction right now could be improved--it's using a linear algorithm and it's not too smart, but it's good enough to be fairly smooth.
S31-Stealth
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by S31-Stealth »

Hey, developers of the "Vega Strike". You have done a fantastic work.

I have played Freelancer. And one thing I never like was that you could not take over systems of the faction/clan/race you played for. So here comes my questions

1. Will Vega Strike support online fleet/race campaign system in the future? Basically you are able to takeover systems for the race/fleet you are playing for?

2. How will you be able to take over the systems? The one (race/fleet) who won the battle last time (the one last standing fleet/race who survives and has alo took over/destroyed any populated planet/planets owned by the defeated race/fleet and any of their stations?)?.

3. Will you be able to start with a specific race/fleet in this persistent universe?If the the limit cap has not reached its maximum yet and the limit cap between the races?

4. Will you be able to reinforce the systems/sectors with stations/ships and even populate planets and even let cargo ships to harvest material in order to get cash etc?

Like I said, I like everything so far you guys have developed, I just wonder how much of MMO system you intend to develope and if any of my four questions will be supported in the future.

Ty for your time. :)

Keep it up ! :)
peloskie
Explorer
Explorer

Post by peloskie »

the type of gameplay you are thinking up of is, a RTS style of a game where a single player controls massive amounts of AIs.

unfortunitly for the vegastrike multiplayer or mmo, the main gameplay should be focused on space flight exploration, trading type of game where players are the pilots and have an opportunity to test out their piloting skills instead of another glorified space simulator with a bunch of gameplays added to it.

i'm pretty sure there may be some 3rd party multiplayer mods that will let players take over systems and play RTS.
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@peloskie
i think that this option only for clan's is...
and nod for the player's...
S31-Stealth
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by S31-Stealth »

So, the RTS mode will be supported in the future? So modders who want to use that option for online campaign conquest can use it?
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@S31-Stealth

I don't know about 100%...
And this is only a idea form my....
i ask ace123 about this if i him say...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Right now we only have implemented basic spaceflight in network (first person).

I somehow don't think that there are any plans for a RTS game (sort of like MOO?).
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@ace123

i think that we need a sub project or a mod project for the mmo version of vega strike...
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Any specific reason we can't just use the standard ships?

At some point we might want to limit the number of systems in the universe to something pretty small.

It seems that MMO should just be a standard game, perhaps maybe with special multiplayer campaigns instead of single player ones.

Unfortunately it's going to be a little while before python is working serverside as far as I can tell.
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@ace123
i want to say we need make a sub project or a mod like project if we wand a mmo game.
and i speak not about the data set that we use in the mmo version...
Dark-Blood-Hound
Confed Special Operative
Confed Special Operative

Post by Dark-Blood-Hound »

I think this is really good that you have developed a Multiplayer test.
Moses
Trader
Trader

Post by Moses »

whats the current status on the multiplayer mode?

... these days we buying a new dedicated for our freelancer-freeworlds-mod for the next year, what specs the machine needs for the vs-server? how much ram might be needed and what cpu is suggested that the server run smothly?

when i can start tranferring content from ur fl-mod to vs? (i konow still can but is it wise to start yet?)
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Multiplayer is coming. I was working on docking recently, so that you can buy/sell cargo and upgrades at a base.

A simple battle already works in the SVN version (though it's a bit painful to get an accountserver connected... :().

For each vegaserver, I would recommend 128mb ram absolute minimum for good performance. A single server should probably be around 512mhz processor minimum.

Now, if you are looking for absolute minumum specs, I tried vegaserver on my linksys router, which has a 266mhz processor and 32 mb ram with 64mb flash swap, and it was too slow to play, with a second of lag.

I suspect that was all because of swapping to the flash drive, which is slow... I was going to try vegaserver with a usb hard drive as swap to see if it would be any faster.

So anyway, RAM is probably more important than the processor to a certain point.

With 2gb or ram and modern dual-core intels, you should have no problem running many dedicated systems. 1gb should be enough, though the extra gig can help with caching.

You can transfer your data any time. The format is not going to change, and even if it for some reason does, there will be converters. So you might as well start now.