A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
PaulB
Merchant
Merchant

Questions

Post by PaulB »

I was wondering.
(1) Are there any online VS servers?
(2) if one was playing online - what kind of bandwidth would there be? What I mean is - me as a player (client) - what kind of upload and download would I see over the course of one hour say?
The reason I ask is that my internet connection as Verizon Mobile wireless with a 5GB/month data limit.
About the most I've ever used since I've been with mobile wifi is about 2.6GB one month when I was doing a lot of downloads and looking at some youtube videos. My monthy average is usually in the neighborhood of around 1.5GB or so.
(3) How critical is throughput consistency? The Cell Tower i'm on as gotten more saturated (3G) over the past 1 to 2 years and Verizon is not going to do anything about it. Durng the evenings from about 6pm cst to 11 or 12pm cst - if it's a bad night - my DL speed that be in the 100K to 500K range and be very erratic. Some evenings I get an average of 500K up to 2MB and semi-erratic to fairly consistent - depending on how good a night it is - sometimes averaging 1MB or so. After midnight cst - I average 1MB to 2MB and pretty consistent.
(4) I have made mods to VS 0.5.1.r1 - I've added the Galaxy ship and Tachyon & Plasma Guns and Proton Torpedos from Privateer GG. Would this in itself prevent me from playing online or would it matter?

Give the above (assuming there are any servers running) - should I give up the idea of playing online or not?

Thanks,
Paul
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Questions

Post by loki1950 »

One of our users has set a sever recently I don't know if it is still active as I to use a cellular dongle for connectivity which also has issues apart from the %$$@cost so online play is no no for me ATM.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Eye~R
Hunter
Hunter

Re: Questions

Post by Eye~R »

Heh, There's a server up @ vegastrike.armed.me.uk signup currently @ vegastrike.armed.me.uk:8080 Tried to makes it pretty and failed, was supposed to look more: http://vegastrike.armed.me.uk/test/Login.html </me hangs head in shame>
Over say an hr, I'm unsure, I don't really pay attention, and I do keep meaning to graph it, But once the world spawned, only real xfer is your interaction, and possibly things that has moved, new locations of - comms etc... I've looked as to b/w per second, and it doesn't seem overly impressive, maybe 20-60KB/s avg, 100KB/s absolute tops ... What'll effect your experiance isn't likely to be the download speed, more the "latency" -=- Time it takes for the data, and response to does a loop, can observe such from pingtest.com or just pinging google from CLI Lower no's are better, it gets there and back quicker... Ideally need <150ms for anything online gaming wise, pref <50ms (consequence of getting data not entirely in line with current) and as for your mods, Account generation gives ship selection, there's a limited selection of ships(not small, but not complete, will work out how to edit one day) and AFAIK, it pulls specs from servers side, ensuring even playing field.
Addendum
Interesting about consumption, got me curious... Dumped some stats before connecting:
RX packets 13381 bytes 8616163 (8.2 MiB) TX packets 13733 bytes 1398192 (1.3 MiB)
And after signin:
RX packets 13399 bytes 8618522 (8.2 MiB) TX packets 13753 bytes 1399718 (1.3 MiB)

That took about 18 packets inbound, 20 out -=- in terms of consumption, ~ 2400bytes received, ~1600 sent. More than reasonable, not for actual useages... Might of gone a little over an hr, and I'm still connected to many other things, So this isn't limited to VS alone and not a "real true and scientific test" but:
RX packets 49971 bytes 20314688 (19.3 MiB) TX packets 50528 bytes 6633330 (6.3 MiB)

In roughly an hrs use, "it" has added ~ 11MB to my d/l quota (if I had one) and ~ 5MB to my up.... Again, more than reasonable and highly questionable if likely to consume as much as, say, browsing your faveorite data mine, I mean social neworking site for twenty mins

Pretty graph! http://vegastrike.armed.me.uk/NetLoad.png
Multiplayer Server Offline. Copy ony testing rig semi-funcitonal.
User Signup Offline.
Server Health Shows old data from last snapshot before the server downed.

If you have any issues you can usually find me in #vegastrike on freenode.