Understanding Vega Server - Coding and Features

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Understanding Vega Server - Coding and Features

Post by pheonixstorm »

Putting up this thread to gather some of the ideas and current issues with the current server binary as well as digging up older information (whatever I can find) to see what was or was not started, worked on, or never completed (or hacked together and doesn't work). So, post known bugs for the MMO and/or links to some other useful threads so I can get this going while I go over the server code and try to make sense of why certain things aren't working. First post is bug related, the second thread will be for new features and current features.

Bugs
  • Buying a ship kills the player (Serious)
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Understanding Vega Server - Coding and Features

Post by pheonixstorm »

Placeholder for upcoming material

Current Features
  • Missions
  • Trade
New Features
  • Mail
  • Chat
  • Voice
Last edited by pheonixstorm on Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Adding some material
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

Placeholder for upcoming material
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

Some issues that i have found are:
  1. The connetion to the form client to server password instet of useng tokens.
  2. Vegastrike don't suport SSL connetions.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

1. Not sure what you are trying to say. Can you ask a different way?
2. Vegastrike iteself doesn't need to support SSL, and if it DID then we would have issues with encryption export restrictions from the US. At least thats the problem I see coming from it. So for now we don't need encryption. It's not like people pay to play vegastrike online. If that ever happens then we would need to add in encryption.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

1. i mean use a session token for using to identity the user on a game server than a password. [1]
2. For so far that i see is encryption no problem for vega strike.
We need only contact the US government to notify that we use encryption.[2][3]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Btw. We need to create a new account server and protocol that support the foaling things:
  1. Multiply chat channels and in game mail.
  2. Dynamic server chose base on server load.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_token
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Export_of_ ... ted_States
[3] http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... .25.0.1.13
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

The US side of encryption should not be an issue, I'm more concerned with the sourceforge side. Would need to read up on their policy for projects using encryption cover (or not) under US export rules. In either case though I see no real long term issue that we can't resolve.

Use token connecting to the game web page or the game server itself? In either case I will go over that after awhile. Have a few things to get done around here while I still have daylight to work with.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

VS wouldn't implement encryption. That would be completely "off topic", VS would link against openSSL so no problem there. I don't know whether export laws include linking against cryptographic libraries, but I highly doubt it and, in any case, it would only cover executable code (ie: VS installer), not the source code - so SF would only ship an installer without cryptography support.

Still, I don't think SSL is necessary, only a properly implemented zero-knowledge password proof protocol.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
www2
Venturer
Venturer

Post by www2 »

@klauss
Thx I mean linking to openSSL/GNUTLS.
For password proof protocol i think is not a good idea because i am planing to use a password hash for store passwords in the database.

@pheonixstorm
My idea is that we use Token's all the communication between Client and game server and Between and Account server.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

www2 wrote:@klauss
Thx I mean linking to openSSL/GNUTLS.
For password proof protocol i think is not a good idea because i am planing to use a password hash for store passwords in the database.
Read on ZKPP, you can still use a hash on the database. In fact, it's required that you do.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe