i was just wondering...

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
woovision
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

i was just wondering...

Post by woovision »

if Vegastrike's multiplayer feature will focus more(or only) on the first person space flight aspect of the game. It could be a Freelancer replacement, and it would probably be my new online home too.

yes I can have someone say that it's just flying a spaceship is just one little thing you can do in a sci-fi game like Vegastrike but really, not everyone has all the infinate time to micromanage fleets, colonies, etc.

my idea of what an mmo-like(or open ended) version of vegastrike would be:

* first person flight controls

* AIs should only play the background part of the universe. on another note about AI ships, is that they shouldn't play the role as AI wingmans either mainly for technical reasons such as, it could seriously lag more than one person's computer.

* let there be player created organizations and alliances. I experienced this in a very old MMO called Jumpgate(which still exists but hardley anyone plays it), and it was a lot of fun.

* players should by ships that are slightly larger than starfighters(like cargo haulers, gunboats, etc) but not ships that too large that a destroyer or a dreadnaught. I've seen players in the Freelancer multiplayer area fly capital ships.. the way I see them is, that they don't look scary in the way they fire weapons(they manuver very slowly and a starfighter pilot can easly outrun them).

* real life skills(not money) should determine the outcome of every single battle.

* multiple players should be able to man a starship(technical designs required though).

well, that's all for my mumblings. I have been waiting for ever for a game like this to come out. I wish the devs the best luck on this project, and with it opensource, you should be very wary of cheaters(which is a hotbutton discussion too).

so anyways, I gotta go now.
DomusUlixes
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Re: i was just wondering...

Post by DomusUlixes »

I like the idea, however, how about in real life skills?
Besides knowing how to press buttons and gameplay, the rest of your skills wouldn't really matter crap!
As for myself Being a physicist, doesn't (suprisingly) make any difference in an intergalactic world at all.
What if a future vegastrike (multiplayer) can make different roles of people? Politicians, scientists, thugs, pilots and a whole lot more. Like combining a little bit of second life, instead of just pilots. Yes it would make the game somewhat more complex. But if I personally was looking for a home online. I'd rather have it like that. And being open source. Why not get some sort of planet/galaxy creator with it for those with the time to make such things? Make your own planets, build up your own starthings and what is done, and can be done there would be typical to the people present and with skills. wouldn't that be awsome?
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Re: i was just wondering...

Post by Mets »

Good ideas, both. I'd love to see more teamwork necessary in multiplayer mode. Right now, it's mostly just a privateer FFA.

There isn't much I can change on my end, though I am thinking of forcing everybody to start with the llama and have to work there way up from there if they want to get bigger ships.