A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
vertighel
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: The Tharin Server

Post by vertighel »

Mets wrote:
vertighel wrote:
Mets wrote:Down for maintenance - updating to latest version of svn, please standby

EDIT
And we're back :)
Hello againg. What's up with the server? I obtain an error 115 while trying to connect from vegastrike.
From firefox I only have an "it works!" message
As you may have noticed, there have been ongoing DNS issues. This was due to a recent update to Apache vhosts, which made the server no longer compatible with the way dynDNS forwards domains. I've since moved the domain to http://www.tharin.uni.cc and everything should now be working. Hopefully, there won't be any further issues. Sorry for any downtime people experienced.

In the case of downtime again, though the account server won't work, you can still access the multiplayer server directly by typing in the IP address and using port 6777 (see first post).

Mets
hello! it worked! It was a little bit slow, but I think it was due to my connection :)
I am sorry that there isn't still anyone
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

vertighel wrote:
hello! it worked! It was a little bit slow, but I think it was due to my connection :)
I am sorry that there isn't still anyone
No worries, it's easy for me to keep it up and running, hopefully some people enjoy.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

It has come to my intention that there is a bug with the server, giving people a socket error when they try to connect. I have reverted the server to r12574, which, for the most part, is fairly stable. Unfortunately, no devs are working on multiplayer, so this will be the version the server runs. You should have no trouble using the server even if you are using a version between r12574 and 0.5.

Also, I have now required people to begin using Llama.begin or the Dodo for gameplay development, although you can select whatever faction you want to be.

Mets
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

hey folks,

The server is down - we're working with klauss to get the bug figured out. I'll put it back up as soon as it's functional.

Mets
siska.robert
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by siska.robert »

Hi. Any luck with the bug? I'm getting Network error in recieving socket (error number 9)...

thanks...
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Nope, as you've noticed the server is down and will probably remain so until one of the devs can fix it.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Hey all,
The server is down - we're working with klauss to get the bug figured out. I'll put it back up as soon as it's functional.
Sorry, I wasn't aware there was a crashy bug. It's apparently been in SVN since revision 12633 on Feb 25.

Pasting the error messages from the server log would have made this really easy to track down. Thanks to www2 for sending me the error logs.

Turned out to be a really dumb bug. Somehow the server-specific version of 'Faction::LoadXML' got cleared out with a comment "//Now, that is fast! :)". That function is kinda important--that is, the server will crash on start without it.

The commit is in SVN, so if you compile it should function again.
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

ace i heft found a oder bug:

src/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_FIREREQUEST from serial !!! ERROR : attempt to read invalid data at offset=7: Actual type is a NB_INT32 but I wanted a NB_UINT32 !!!

not this happent if i gift the fire comand.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Oops. I forgot to test buying weapons

Should be fixed now. It was also caused by one of the reformatting/fixing warnings patches. :-(

I tried a stress test with some AI units firing and killing each other and no problems so far :-D, for example

Code: Select all

]
/launchme Nicander aera 10
/launchme Progeny privateer 10
]
(Don't do any more than about 20 ai ships since they broadcast fire messages too often. idle ships don't matter much.)
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

ace123 wrote:Should be fixed now. It was also caused by one of the reformatting/fixing warnings patches. :-(
Yep... there was some careless warning plugging a while ago that brought some trouble on the clientside as well, only the clientside got fixed quicker ;)
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Guys, thanks for looking into this!

The server at least compiles and runs, however, I have a new problem. Whenever somebody joins, the account settings are getting overwritten. On login, everyone is prompted to pick a ship, even if you have a saved game. You then start in space outside a planet, instead of starting docked at the station you made your last save at :(

Permissions all look ok. At least people can login though, that's better than nothing.

Here's what it looks like from GDB. As you can see, it defaults to 20,000 credits and privateer faction, and loads you in space at 0 velocity outside of a planet.

LOADING Universe file : milky_way.xml
FactionXML:LoadXML factions.xml
Universe LOADED
running import sys
print sys.path
sys.path = [r"/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/builtin",r"/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/quests",r"/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/missions",r"/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/ai",r"/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules",r"/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/bases"]
['/usr/lib/python2.5', '/usr/lib/python2.5/plat-linux2', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-tk', '/usr/lib/python2.5/lib-dynload', '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages', '/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages']
testing VS randomrunning import sys
print sys.path
['/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/builtin', '/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/quests', '/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/missions', '/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules/ai', '/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/modules', '/home/cfw/vegastrike/data/bases']
        Exiting ReadSavedPackets

======== SERVER IS NOW RUNNING ========
    Server Port: 6777
    Server IP Addresses:
[New Thread 0xb7af38d0 (LWP 11461)]
        No network interfaces found associated to your hostname.
        (Consult the '/sbin/ifconfig' command-line tool for your IP.)
        You can also connect locally using 'localhost'
    Private Server
 ---------------------------------------
To stop this server, hit Ctrl-C, Ctrl-\, Ctrl-Break, or close this window.

Have fun!

owlevel/vsnet_serversocket.cpp:34

------------------------------------------
ServerSocketTCP for 5 selected
------------------------------------------

owlevel/vsnet_serversocket.cpp:51 accepted new sock 7
g/lowlevel/vsnet_sockettcp.cpp:71 enter VsnetTCPSocket::VsnetTCPSocket(int, const AddressIP&, SocketSet&)
owlevel/vsnet_serversocket.cpp:81 A connection has been accepted
tworking/netserver_clients.cpp:32  - Actual number of clients : 1
owlevel/vsnet_serversocket.cpp:87 No accepted TCP connection
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_CONNECT from serial  (not ingame)
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_LOGIN from serial  (not ingame)
src/networking/netserver.cpp:685 >>> LOGIN REQUEST --------------------------------------
src/networking/netserver.cpp:748 <<< LOGIN REQUEST --------------------------------------
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_CHOOSESHIP from serial  (not ingame)
======= Creating Cockpit 0 for universe save data! =======
networking/netserver_login.cpp:294      credits = 20000
networking/netserver_login.cpp:295      faction = privateer
networking/netserver_login.cpp:296 -> SAVE LOADED
networking/netserver_login.cpp:300 -> UNIT FACTORY WITH XML
Initializing optimizer
networking/netserver_login.cpp:329      AFTER UNIT FACTORY WITH XML
networking/netserver_login.cpp:336 -> UNIT LOADED
networking/netserver_login.cpp:340 -> COCKPIT AFFECTED TO UNIT
src/networking/zonemgr.cpp:136 >>> ADDING A NEW ZONE = Special/Network - ZONE # = 0
src/networking/zonemgr.cpp:137 --== STAR SYSTEM NOT FOUND - GENERATING ==--
                computing serials for Special/Network.system...Found serial in system file : replacing serials...
                Found 0 occurences of <planet
                Found 2 occurences of <Planet
                Found 0 occurences of <PLANET
                Found 0 occurences of <unit
                Found 0 occurences of <Unit
                Found 0 occurences of <UNIT
                Found 0 occurences of <nebula
                Found 0 occurences of <Nebula
                Found 0 occurences of <NEBULA
                Found 0 occurences of <jump
                Found 0 occurences of <Jump
                Found 0 occurences of <JUMP
 OK !
Contents of star system:
<system name="Simulation" background="backgrounds/green" nearstars="500" stars="1000" starspread="150"  x="0" y="0" z="0">
<Light>
<ambient red=".7" green=".7" blue=".7"/>
<diffuse red="0.1" green="0.1" blue="0.1"/>
<specular red=".75" green=".75" blue=".75"/>
</Light>

<Planet serial="00276" name="Sun" file="stars/white_star.texture" ri="0.000000" rj="0.000000" rk="0.000000" si="0.000000" sj="0.000000" sk="0.000000" radius="75000" x="0.000000" y="850000" z="0.000000" Red="0" Green="0" Blue="0" ReflectNoLight="true" light="0">
</Planet>
<Planet serial="00279" name="Market" file="planets/desert.texture" ri="0.000000" rj="0.000000" rk="0.000000" si="0.000000" sj="0.000000" sk="0.000000" radius="750000" x="0.000000" y="845000" z="0.000000">
</Planet>

</system>

Creating planet Sun with texture stars/white_star.texture and technique  - unitlevel <= 2
UNIT HAS DIED: white_star White_Star (file white_star)
Creating planet Market with texture planets/desert.texture and technique  - unitlevel <= 2
UNIT HAS DIED: desert desert (file desert)
Loading a starsystem
Loading Star System Special/Network
Writing Save Game SAVING STARDATE - SERVER=
networking/netserver_login.cpp:110 enter void NetServer::sendLoginAccept(ClientPtr, Cockpit*)
networking/netserver_login.cpp:131 >>> SEND LOGIN ACCEPT =( serial #273 )= --------------------------------------
networking/netserver_login.cpp:132 SAVE=6229 bytes - XML=5504 bytes
SENDING STARDATE : 0.0000:56
--== STAR SYSTEM Special/Network ALREADY EXISTS ==--

ERROR: NULL Unit used in Python script; returning default value...
ERROR: NULL Unit used in Python script; returning default value...import server;my_obj=server.player()warning: Unknown tag: python
 * CREATED Special/Network  276 neutral white_star (Sun)
 * CREATED Special/Network  279 neutral desert (Market)
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_DOWNLOAD from serial 273 (not ingame)
src/networking/netserver.cpp:934 >>> CMD DOWNLOAD =( serial #0 )= --------------------------------------
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:501 Enter void VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::addCmdDownload(SOCKETALT, NetBuffer&)
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:506    ***  cmd ResolveRequest
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:730 Enter bool VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::private_test_access(const std::string&, VSFileSystem::VSFileType)
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:738 Found local file /Special/Network.system
src/networking/netserver.cpp:937 <<< CMD DOWNLOAD --------------------------------------------------------------
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_DOWNLOAD from serial 273 (not ingame)
src/networking/netserver.cpp:934 >>> CMD DOWNLOAD =( serial #0 )= --------------------------------------
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:501 Enter void VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::addCmdDownload(SOCKETALT, NetBuffer&)
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:506    ***  cmd DownloadRequest
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:748 Enter VSFileSystem::VSFile* VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::private_access(std::string&, VSFileSystem::VSFileType)
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:753 Opened local file Special/Network.system
src/networking/netserver.cpp:937 <<< CMD DOWNLOAD --------------------------------------------------------------
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:610 Enter void VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::lower_check_queues()
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:629 Enter void VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::lower_check_queues()
ng/lowlevel/vsnet_dloadmgr.cpp:650 Enter bool VsnetDownload::Server::Manager::private_lower_try_push_queue(SOCKETALT, boost::shared_ptr<std::queue<boost::shared_ptr<VsnetDownload::Server::DownloadItem>, std::deque<boost::shared_ptr<VsnetDownload::Server::DownloadItem>, std::allocator<boost::shared_ptr<VsnetDownload::Server::DownloadItem> > > > >)
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_SERVERTIME from serial 273 (not ingame)
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_SERVERTIME from serial 273 (not ingame)
c/networking/netserver_net.cpp:117 Rcvd TCP: CMD_ADDCLIENT from serial 273 (not ingame)
src/networking/netserver.cpp:761 >>> ADD REQUEST =( serial #273 )= --------------------------------------
tworking/netserver_clients.cpp:104 >>> SEND ENTERCLIENT =( serial #273 )= --------------------------------------
ADDING Player number 1
--== STAR SYSTEM Special/Network ALREADY EXISTS ==--
src/networking/zonemgr.cpp:278 >> ADDING CLIENT IN ZONE # 0
1 clients now in zone 0
ENTERING NEW CLIENT:   273 privateer Admonisher (Admonisher.stock), 'YoYo' 0
PLAYER NOT DOCKED - STARTING AT POSITION : x=51.1748,y=51.1748,z=51.1748
tworking/netserver_clients.cpp:212 <<< SEND ENTERCLIENT(273) TO OTHER CLIENT IN THE ZONE------------------------------------------
tworking/netserver_clients.cpp:215 Serial : 273
tworking/netserver_clients.cpp:218 >>> SEND ADDED YOU =( serial #273 )= --------------------------------------
src/networking/zonemgr.cpp:122  >>> GOT INFO ABOUT 3 OTHER SHIPS
tworking/netserver_clients.cpp:246 ADDED client n 273 in ZONE 0 at STARDATE 0.0000:11
Loading active missions True
src/networking/netserver.cpp:764 <<< ADD REQUEST --------------------------------------------------------------

ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The "Private Server" message indicates that it failed to find the URL of the account server, or that "use_account_server" is false in the configuration file.

Also, if there are any XML Parse errors in your vegastrike.config, that would also cause this, since it can't read to the end of the file. To check this, you can try copying the file, naming it something like "test.xml", and open it in Firefox which will make sure it parses properly.

Because it can't connect to the account server, it fell back to deathmatch mode, and therefore any username/password combo works. (The 20000 credits and Special/Network.system were found from "mission/networking.mission", since it couldn't find the real saved games)
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Sweet, the server is back! It looks like all the last error above was simply that my config file had gotten overwritten on one of the fresh checkouts I was doing trying to recompile ages and ages ago.

It's a little shakey, I can see some debug messages going in the terminal when I log in, here's what the traceback was:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "httpserver.py", line 129, in <module>
    httpServer(port=settings.http_port)
  File "httpserver.py", line 125, in httpServer
    httpd.serve_forever()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 201, in serve_forever
    self.handle_request()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 217, in handle_request
    request, client_address = self.get_request()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/SocketServer.py", line 374, in get_request
    return self.socket.accept()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/socket.py", line 172, in accept
    sock, addr = self._sock.accept()
KeyboardInterrupt

-->

cfw@localhost:~/vegastrike/data/cgi-accountserver$ python httpserver.py
Starting HTTP server on port 8080...
/cgi-bin/accountserver.py
67.212.92.235 - - [13/Oct/2010 00:01:09] "POST /cgi-bin/accountserver.py HTTP/1.1" 200 -
67.212.92.235 - - [13/Oct/2010 00:02:27] "POST /cgi-bin/accountserver.py HTTP/1.1" 200 -
67.212.92.235 - - [13/Oct/2010 00:03:29] "POST /cgi-bin/accountserver.py HTTP/1.1" 200 -
However fragile, it is up and running and looking good. It's been a long time, hopefully we can get some players back. Super glad to see some MMO VS back in action! Thanks for fixing!
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Great to see so many interested after the server was put back online - Tharin is currently home to 125 registered pilots!

Best time to see action is between UTC 20:00 - UTC 1:00, join the fun!
PhotonPilot
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by PhotonPilot »

Hello, i'm newb, and I don't even know where to get a jump drive :shock: . Can someone tell me where I can get one?
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

PhotonPilot wrote:Hello, i'm newb, and I don't even know where to get a jump drive :shock: . Can someone tell me where I can get one?
You should be able to find one in the upgrades section at a spaceport or dock. If you can't find one where you are, SPEC to another station or planet and look there.
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
Cruzo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Cruzo »

Server Down???????? Can´t registered my self what happend?????
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

Cruzo wrote:Server Down???????? Can´t registered my self what happend?????
The official server is down and has been for quite a while; use the Tharin server instead.
Tharin Server thread
~Gungnir
segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.
Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
Cruzo
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Cruzo »

Server works nice but my ship is unviseble ;-) and some space stations too can t see them but can crash against them bug or normal??
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

As soon as I can find it I will be changing the default MP server address so we can avoid future issues with people not knowing why it doesn't work or where to log in to.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The only reason it's not default is because he doesn't have an accountserver running--it's set up to use a private server instead.

I'm not sure how easy it is to change it to default to independent server.

But yeah the capability exists to use a 300 redirect from sourceforge to another server so vegastrike will essentially go there instead.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Server is up and running nicely, just make sure to change to independent as noted :)

Ace I'm running the out-of-the-box accountserver (/data/cgi-accountserver/) setup the way that was posted in this forum. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by "private" in the sense that it isn't tied to the main forum accounts or something. Anybody can go to www.tharin.uni.cc and register an account for free, and presto, you are now on the server.

If there is a way to tie it to some master account server, I'll be happy to do it, I just wasn't aware of any. I also don't mind if people want to make it the default server, I don't have any intent of taking it down. I've got it all automated at this point.
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Oh I think I realized what I was missing. I did have code to enable a 307 redirect from sourceforge to your server, but when I tried it before I was just using the toplevel directory. Turns out I needed to redirect to http://tharin.uni.cc:8080/cgi-bin/accountserver.py which is the python accountserver.

This means you no longer have to select independent server. (the 307 redirect means that POST data also gets forwarded--I know this isn't strictly standard to the http standard but it works--so this means any logins will in effect go directly to your server.)

The big problem with this is we lose the custom message which tells people to register at a specific address. This means that people who click on the button will just think it's broken when they type a username/password and it says Error!

But, I think you can add a custom error message on your end if you modify a string in the python code (this should be really easy even if you don't know python). If you want this, open up "accountserver.py" and scroll down until you find
def getLoginInfo(conn, user, passwd, dologin):

Then, scroll down a bit more until you hit the "else:" case. This is what happens when a login fails (invalid username/password).
else:
p.addChar(ACCT_LOGIN_ERROR)
p.addStringField('username', user)
if not error:
error=''
p.addStringField('error', error)
print p
return

Try changing that error='' to be error='Register for an account at http://www.tharin.uni.cc/'
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Changes made, let's see how that works!

Also, fixed the TeamSpeak2 server, so now people can use voice if they want.
timesorrow
Explorer
Explorer

Post by timesorrow »

Hi There!

new player here... have succesfully logged in on the Tharin server, but seems I am alone?
is there anything I can do to help develop this thing? (I am no programmer, but would like to work on charting and economics models)

anyone??

Gordon