The Tharin Server

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

The Tharin Server

Post by Mets »

Hi All,

I've decided to put up a Vega Strike server for everyone's enjoyment - I'm calling it the "Tharin Universe". For now, it's running the out-of-the-box configuration based off of the SVN build, r13253. The backend is Debian, and it's located in Montréal, Québec.

Home/Account Registration:
http://tharin.industrience.com

Game Server:
tharin.industrience.com:6777 (67.212.92.235:6777)

TeamSpeak3 Voice Chat (Tharin CommNet)
tharin.industrience.com:9987
voice client download

Players can choose their faction, and start with either the Llama or the Dodo, just like career mode in a normal game. Progress is saved on the server under your protected account.

Daily downtime occurs from 4:30 - 4:45 am Eastern Time for server backups and universe respawn.

Post issues/discussion items here.
You can find me on IRC - #vegastrike on Freenode, or PM me.

Enjoy the game :)

Original build r12574,r12930
Last edited by Mets on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:04 am, edited 20 times in total.
vertighel
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Re: The Tharin Server

Post by vertighel »

Hello, I joined your server today. I compiled VS yesterday, and I am a full newbie. I hope to see you online one of these days!
Radunz
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Radunz »

I Realy wanna join, but am having an very annoyng problem, everytime i go multiplayer i got a CTD(always when its loading background\green_down.bmp or green_back.bmp) i tried replace those files, but didnt worked.if anyone can help me plz!
Laraso
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Laraso »

Holy HECK!
I can't believe you did this! No really, how did you do this? I am wondering how you made this website compatible with the Vega Strike game, and a duplicate account creation thing as the old one that is on this site.

Anyways... You may be seeing me on this.

Also, are you planning on making this permanent? How long is this going to be up?
Last edited by Laraso on Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Radunz wrote:I Realy wanna join, but am having an very annoyng problem, everytime i go multiplayer i got a CTD(always when its loading background\green_down.bmp or green_back.bmp) i tried replace those files, but didnt worked.if anyone can help me plz!
Radunz, I'm not sure, but post in the help forum, I'm sure somebody knows the answer, they are usually very helpful. I don't think your post will get much exposure here.
Laraso wrote:Holy HECK!
I can't believe you did this! No really, how did you do this? I am wondering how you made this website compatible with the Vega Strike game, and a duplicate account creation thing as the old one that is on this site.
Well I'd love to take credit for it, but it comes standard with the game now. All I did was edit the text the website displays. I would like to edit the ships one can select, also, but one thing at a time.
Laraso wrote:Also, are you planning on making this permanent? How long is this going to be up?
It is permanent.

As of today, there are 18 registered users. Heidistein is the newest. Welcome, all, glad you signed up :)

Two comments:
1) If we scheduled some time to have a meet-up, would people want to play?
2) Any suggestions on editing the universe?

Mets
sixthlaw
Just a tourist with a frag'd nav console

Post by sixthlaw »

Hey could some1 please run me through step by step how to get into this server? i dont quite understand it. THank you:)
CaptainMurphy
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by CaptainMurphy »

So just a newb question, but is there any way to start writing scripted 'missions' that could be accomplished? Maybe a semi-campaign to get users hooked into the system so that they are pulled into the universe with some kind of starting missions set instead of just getting dropped into the world and let to do their own thing. I have years of programming experience for MS products and I doubt it counts for much for this project, but I am willing to lend a hand wherever I can.
Peavz
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Peavz »

I'm having a problem here, I can't seem to get onto the site to register an account, Is the server down? cos Mine keeps coming up with "Firefox can't find the server at http://tharin.ath.cx"
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Peavz wrote:I'm having a problem here, I can't seem to get onto the site to register an account, Is the server down? cos Mine keeps coming up with "Firefox can't find the server at http://tharin.ath.cx"
my bad, I let the DNS expire...I need to find a more permanent DNS I guess, but this works for now. I won't say now if somebody at VegaStrike wants to give me a redirect :)
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Peavz wrote:I'm having a problem here, I can't seem to get onto the site to register an account, Is the server down? cos Mine keeps coming up with "Firefox can't find the server at http://tharin.ath.cx"
To Join:
Go to http://tharin.uni.cc/
Click on Register/Update
Select the ship and faction you want, then type in a callsign for yourself and a password (it's encrypted, I don't get to see it).

Launch the game and click on Multiplayer, then click on Internet Server and type in tharin.uni.cc with port 6777 and your callsign/password

If you want to voice chat with people who are in game, then download teamspeak from [url]www.http://teamspeak.com/[/url] and add server tharin.uni.cc with port 8767
Last edited by Mets on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

CaptainMurphy wrote:So just a newb question, but is there any way to start writing scripted 'missions' that could be accomplished? Maybe a semi-campaign to get users hooked into the system so that they are pulled into the universe with some kind of starting missions set instead of just getting dropped into the world and let to do their own thing. I have years of programming experience for MS products and I doubt it counts for much for this project, but I am willing to lend a hand wherever I can.
Are you talking about multiplayer-specific missions? The same cargo/fighter missions from the cargo computer that are available in single player are also available in multiplayer. I don't believe there are any scripted co-op missions though. I haven't checked if the single player scripted missions are available in multiplayer, either.
sixthlaw

Post by sixthlaw »

Hey guys i just joined the server under the name matt.
Im having trouble getting my spec drive to work properly, would take me and hour to get to a ship 100km from me, instead of my speed rapidly increasing, it just increases at the same old pace.
I did buy a spec drive on atlantis but no luck. some help would be nice. also i cant see my ship in dock, or in space. help? thanks:)
sixthlaw

Post by sixthlaw »

Spec is working. Just needed to clear the planets orbit. Ship still un-seeable. More people need to get on! i got a bloke who will be joining too shortly:)
Peavz
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Peavz »

Radunz wrote:I Realy wanna join, but am having an very annoyng problem, everytime i go multiplayer i got a CTD(always when its loading background\green_down.bmp or green_back.bmp) i tried replace those files, but didnt worked.if anyone can help me plz!
I'm getting this error too, trying to fix it, but don't be expecting any great results
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Peavz wrote:
I'm getting this error too, trying to fix it, but don't be expecting any great results
Please post this in the help forum, located here

Are you using the SVN version? I just tried it and it works :?
Althalos
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Althalos »

Just tried it yesterday. The problem occurs only in the stable release version (0.5.0), the SVN works fine.
"I am the Hammer. I am the sword in His hand. I am the Gauntlet about his fist. I am the Bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous. I AM YOUR END !!"
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Althalos wrote:Just tried it yesterday. The problem occurs only in the stable release version (0.5.0), the SVN works fine.
Yeah, you need to have the SVN version. See here to get it.

Getting SVN:
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/ ... eckout_SVN

For Windows people, I'd recommend SmartSVN for an SVN client. It's free and super easy.
http://www.syntevo.com/smartsvn/index.html
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

proudly hosting 37 fleets in collective space chaos :)

Enjoy the server!
Althalos
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Althalos »

BTW, Mets. When I was trying out the server I accidentally crashed the game by alt+tabbing while having GameCam turned on (seems like a common problem with GC).
My attepts to log in always end with this socket error since then. Can you check it on the server side?
"I am the Hammer. I am the sword in His hand. I am the Gauntlet about his fist. I am the Bane of His foes and the woes of the treacherous. I AM YOUR END !!"
IDtucho
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by IDtucho »

This server still online?
I tried to make an account on this server but I get the following message on firefox:
Firefox can not establish a connection to the server tharin.ath.cx: 8080.
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Indeed, that did kill the server. The server is now back up, and I made a chronjob to check twice a day that it is running.

I myself, before putting this online, have killed the server on several different occasions. One was trying to chat as the game was loading and attempting to place my ship somewhere in orbit! Unfortunately, there's nothing that I can do about bugs except restart the server. The Dev Team has stopped all development of the multiplayer platform, I'm afraid. I would be happy to submit bug logs to those who did want to improve the multiplayer experience.

Also, if anybody has any suggestions, please feel free to let me know.

Mets
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

Down for maintenance - updating to latest version of svn, please standby

EDIT
And we're back :)
Last edited by Mets on Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

If you find bugs report em. Even if the original devs don't come back there are still a few of us left working...
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
vertighel
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by vertighel »

Mets wrote:Down for maintenance - updating to latest version of svn, please standby

EDIT
Hello againg. What's up with the server? I obtain an error 115 while trying to connect from vegastrike.
From firefox I only have an "it works!" message
Mets
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Mets »

vertighel wrote:
Mets wrote:Down for maintenance - updating to latest version of svn, please standby

EDIT
Hello againg. What's up with the server? I obtain an error 115 while trying to connect from vegastrike.
From firefox I only have an "it works!" message
As you may have noticed, there have been ongoing DNS issues. This was due to a recent update to Apache vhosts, which made the server no longer compatible with the way dynDNS forwards domains. I've since moved the domain to http://www.tharin.uni.cc and everything should now be working. Hopefully, there won't be any further issues. Sorry for any downtime people experienced.

In the case of downtime again, though the account server won't work, you can still access the multiplayer server directly by typing in the IP address and using port 6777 (see first post).

Mets