MMO idea: multiple solar systems, multiple game version

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Twilight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

MMO idea: multiple solar systems, multiple game version

Post by Twilight »

Hi guys.

I think in a mmo it would be impossible to balance items/ships and develop/remove game features in such a way that everyone agrees. Plus its really hard to get a well playable MMO up and running without a great deal of manpower.

So heres some rough ideas
  1. Each system has its own set of features and game balance. Each system effectively acts as a branch of the main code. People with similar views on how the game should work move to the same system. If people in System A like some of the ships(for exmple) implemented in system B then they can merge the code into their system, however they will decide game balance for them selfs. However Systems should always be inter operable at a basic level.

Heres an example: System A designs a nice carrier. System B likes the carrier but thinks its overpowered, so they implement a modified version of it. People from A can go to B in their carriers but have to play by B's rules.

Its a tradeoff between inter playability and unique ides. People are free to do create and balance the game as they like in their home systems but if no one else likes the idea then it wont leave their system. I'm hoping that over time people will agree on how they want the game to be and start standardizing things for the sake of inter playability.
  2. Let players run systems decide where their stargates lead to. That way they can connect to the systems with which they most agree with. Hopefully leading to more standardization over time.
  3. A currency for each system. That will should balance the economy in that exchange rates dictate how much systems age on the whole player money making idea. Also it should lead to standardizing economies.
  4. Contribution is mandatory. Game time is required to play. Game time can be obtained by submitting complete and peer accepted content to the game or just plain money(although this is not for profit, money goes towards server's and game development) .
Im not up to speed on the technical bits but heres some rough ideas on the technicals.
  1. Need some sort of code sandbox
  2. Upload python code to server, activated on request by client.
  3. Upon entering a system the server will inform the client of required updates, user can accept the update and enter system or decline. Perhaps some sort of
  4. Perhaps a different server for each system ? can run more than one server on a machine though. Then moving to a new system would be transferring connections to the new server and updating the content.
    content delivery system?
I think i'll give development a try, can do c++ well. The rest I can learn as needed. Cant say I will have enough time though but it will sort of be a private hobby, slowly and abit every day or so, well i'll see how it goes.

anyway what you guys think ?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: MMO idea: multiple solar systems, multiple game version

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Twilight have you pulled the source code yet :wink: the current MP code is still alpha with only a simple death match mode a couple guys are trying to set up a server so we can tickle out the bugs but as is there is lots of Python code in need of revision.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Twilight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Twilight »

Hi loki.
Yes I build from svn last night but its still a whole new code jungle to me. I need a map :)
I see theres a wiki, thats helpful but its still going to take me some time to find my way around. I suppose i'll just post questions on the forum till i figure things out, is there a irc channel ? Edit: nvm i see the irc chan is given on the wiki.

I had some more rough ideas yesterday:
  1. Need the server to manage accounts(sorry i only had time to play the game a little, do we have such a feature already ?). Maybe the most important thing right now is the ogre port because of cegui. Any menu we make now is just going to have to be redone in cegui later right ? So how far is the ogre port, I dont know much about ogre but if I can manage to learn what needs to be done then i'd like to help. I guess i'll go svn the ogre branch abit later today and have a look.
  2. Once account management is up then a grand and tedious plan can begin: at first we could use a wiki like system to manage code updates and allocate points to players(maybe make points equate to ingame currency as a added incentive). Then for the tricky sandbox element: maybe every player could be assigned a test system which is only accessible by that player and accessible at will(a debug system really). The debug system would have to be unable to interact with the outside world. The code running in a sandbox system would have to be sandboxed :P The server would have to pull code from the wiki db and compile/interpret the system from there(i know its not easy but its just a long term goal i guess).
  3. Next step would be to integrate the dev tools into the game, perhaps someone already made a cegui based web browser and notepad ?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

www2 is working on the account server give him a PM if you have specific questions he is writing with scalability in mind but since it's been about 20 years i wrote any serious code i don't what else he has in mind :wink:

The Ogre code in svn is just a framework that was done about two years ago now so i don't know if it will actually compile ATM and when klauss was working on it he was running Win 2k not Linux so it was written with VS7 as his compiler so there may need to be lots of work with the various #define's and macros just to get it to build with gcc 4.x or even VS 9 i am still struggling to get the VC++ 2008 Express properly configured on Win 7rc1 :? so i can attempt a windows build and other guy you can PM is JsnMtth he has pulled the whole svn repo and converted it to Git he is currently trying to figure out a way of simplifying the build system and maybe update the Cmake scripts which do work Linux side at least i have been successful on my fedora install since version 7 but i gather gcc 4.4 has broken them with it's stricter adherence to standards.AS you may have noticed there has not been much activity from the dev group lately bogged down with real life time eaters such as getting post grad work done.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Twilight
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Twilight »

Ahh thanks for the info Loki! Cool I managed to find the code for account management, i'll chat with www2 if needed.

Yea gcc 4.x broke a whole lot of things but its usually just a matter of adding the right includes, still I often change my gcc links to an older version for sanity.

Didnt know about Git, checked it out just know, looks like something I could use.

Yea I also have some post grad work to do, so I cant guarantee anything but this is quite interesting so i'll try :) Anyway i'll see what I can do.