Server Stuff

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Greekgifted
Merchant
Merchant

Server Stuff

Post by Greekgifted »

Hey all

Known about VS for a while now, but haven't played much due to lack of joystick :(

I'm particularly interested in Vegastrike's MMO potential, and I've noticed that people seem to at least want a Co-op mode of some kind. So I managed to fire up my old Pentium III running Slackware and after digging through the rather confusing documentation on multiplayer got it running! Connected to it with 2 clients, interacted, ran a mission, died, explored a little bit, it all worked. but there are a few things I noticed that aren't optimal:

1: No ships in universe, to get an MMO going you need lots of NPC's to start with.
2: Several mods going on 1 httpserver doesn't work as advertised.
3: My Pentium III isn't exactly capable of PLAYING the game (well, it barely can), so I'm running the server out of X, and didn't compile the client. Now since only the machine hosting the server has admin powers, how do I be admin on a machine that can actually run the game?

I would like to get the NPC's in so that I can see how much my old computer can do, and I think that if we get everyone around here that has an old spare computer, we could put up quite the set of servers! :D

Doesn't look like it will be long before we will have ourselves full fledged multiplayer.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Server Stuff

Post by loki1950 »

Welcome Greekgifted glad you got it working ace123 the guy doing the code for MP should be by sometime over the weekend with some answers for you.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2