Vegastrike Hosted server

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Vegastrike Hosted server

Post by Captain{}Blood »

I would like to organize a hosted server complete with expanding Universe and Player profiles. What I need to know is the server requirements that could host anywhere between 24 to 48 slots and the network traffic required for each slot.
Since this is a hosted server, it would probably need contributions to keep it running. If the requirements are not too stiff, I might be able to find a server for $25 to @35 a month, thirty people could kick in say a kick a month to keep it running.

I would be looking at two scenarios, one would rent the server and the hosting required. The problem here is that if the hosting service decides to convert to a data center, the hosting is gone. the other is to own a server and rent a space in the rack at a data center and then just pay according to bandwidth and possible local maintenance when needed. the second would only be paying for the space and the bandwidth which in theory would make the slots be unlimited and long as the traffic does not go over a certain threshold. I can configure the hardware and put together the server, all I would need help with is maintaining the database for profiles and the game management until I know my way around the server. New features could be added as they become stable enough to implement as well and I could even see if it is possible to set up a team speak server somewhere for in game voice chat.

Cutting to the chase, this is what I need:
1.)Server requirements for 25 to fifty players.
2.)Network requirements per seat.
3.)What is needed for the database for the Player profiles and maybe running that on an external server.
4.) Any other requirements that I may have overlooked

Let me know what you people think. I am willing to put the work into it if you support me on this. :[
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 clocked to 3.4 GHz
4 Gigs OCZ SLI DDr2 800 memory
2X EVGA NVidia 8800 GT OC 512 SLi
ABS 800 watt modular supply
All stuffed into a Lian Li A05 case
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Re: Vegastrike Hosted server

Post by charlieg »

I would recommend Rimuhosting - they have been fantastic for my company.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

They look more like a hosting and database server company, the thing I am worried about is bandwidth usage. Gameservers need lower latency in bandwidth.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
Derrick
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Derrick »

Well you can always join up with SiroDJ and my self on are server.. We could use the help with everything.

But for a good server to run the game on you could get a server with godaddy.com there prices are pretty good..

-Derrick
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

I have a server possibility though [GU] since I am a member there. Once I know the requirements I can find out what it would cost on a monthly basis. I would expand the Universe depending on the number of accounts that are active and then size everything so that you can get lost if you want to and get back with people when you want something interactive.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI