Custom Host Vega Strike Server

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
SiroDJ
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Custom Host Vega Strike Server

Post by SiroDJ »

Derrick and I agreed with each other to host a Vega Strike server. I thank him for letting me host it on his machine.
Details to register and log in to it are below.

Account Registration:

Here is the link to Register an account for the server.

1. Open Vega strike,
2. Select Multiplayer in the Main Menu,
3. Enter your Username and Password which you made during registration.
4. Login!
5. Enjoy!

By default, the 'Account Server URL:' should read as, "http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-b ... tserver.py"
This redirects to "http://72.167.164.184:8001/cgi-bin/accountserver.py", no changes are nessesary in the 'Account Server URL:' entry.

Server forums:

If you would like, you can participate with other players, in character, here on the forums provided for the server!

Note:
To chat in game you must be in flight. Use "]" to chat.
Last edited by SiroDJ on Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Re: Custom Host Vega Strike Server

Post by loki1950 »

Great now to figure out how to sticky it with this new phpbb :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

How does one chat in game?
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 clocked to 3.4 GHz
4 Gigs OCZ SLI DDr2 800 memory
2X EVGA NVidia 8800 GT OC 512 SLi
ABS 800 watt modular supply
All stuffed into a Lian Li A05 case
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

There is no chat option ATM but it is on ace123's to-do list although SiroDJ may come up with some work around in the interim 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
SiroDJ
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SiroDJ »

To chat in game, you use "]". In flight only, I gather.
Derrick
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Derrick »

We like to help the best we can..
And well i love MP game's so i hope everything works out.
I hope the server jumps up in use and every one is happy.

-Derrick
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

We should probably advertise it on the VS homepage--without this people might just not know that MP is working right now.

Also, it may be better not to require registration from the register page, since people may not know the URL.
Derrick
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by Derrick »

We should probably advertise it on the VS homepage--without this people might just not know that MP is working right now.

Also, it may be better not to require registration from the register page, since people may not know the URL.
I do think the link on this site to the old register system is linked to ares now.. Im not 100% sure. But i think it is..

The register page ya were working on that...
But right now I'm trying to link the VS DB to the site DB.
So if you register on the site or the game you would have both..
I'm just having a little trouble getting the game to link to it..
Maybe some one here could us help.

As of right now we are working on a chat that will link to the site. so every one can chat.

I'm thinking of making it be able to like it to this site as well..

Well every one how does that sound?
Please let us know if there any chat commands you would like...
SiroDJ
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by SiroDJ »

Sorry, accounts were wiped.

I've modified the galaxy, It only contains 8 sectors, for memory concerns.

The jumps that can be made from each system is as follows:

Code: Select all

Sol TO:
   Proxima Centauri, Alpha Centauri, Epsilon_Ind
Proxima Centauri TO:
   Sol, Alpha Canis Majoris, Red
Alpha Centauri TO:
   Sol, Alpha Canis Majoris, Alcestis
Alpha Canis Majoris TO:
   Alcestis, Alpha Centauri, Proxima Centauri
Red TO:
   Telamon, Proxima Centauri, Epsilon Ind
Epsilon Ind TO:
   Sol, Red, Telamon
Alcestis TO:
   Alpha Centauri, Telamon, Alpha Canis Majoris
Telamon TO:
   Red, Epsilon Ind, Alcestis
Genghis Prawn
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Genghis Prawn »

I noticed I have been unable to connect to the server the last couple of days. The message box given by VS says that the server reported networking errors.
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Perhaps it's worth inquiring as to whether the server can be moved to somewhere like tuxfamily.org or another place that might offer basic free services.
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
Leper
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by Leper »

The system... is down.
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

have access to servers through my clan. I might be able to set something up there once I know what the system requirements are. The downside is they are using 2003 and 2008 server. Let me know what you think. I can get it as a member for a dollar a slot per month. So if 25 people are interested, I would need 12 bucks a head for the year. I have no idea what limit the seat is but 100 would not be that far out of the question. They can even set up a paypal donate for the server on their site.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

I have a windows 2008n server available but need help in getting up and running. My plan is to get it running with 20 star systems and no ship limits. Be aware the I have tested every ship so I know their strengths and weaknesses. Even the Tesla has a very prominent weakness that I have exploited without cheating. And they do blow up nicely. I would also like to know how to administer it remotely.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
mccorkle
Trader
Trader

Post by mccorkle »

I've got about a dozen linux (debian / Ubuntu) servers scattered about the internet. I've also got some mad sys-admin skills and could setup some monitoring to keep the services (game daemon I'm assuming) up and restart it should they ever stop running.

Also, has anyone suggested standing up a teamspeak server along side a VS server? Both teamspeak-client and teamspeak-server are packages I could just apt-get on my ubuntu box here, so I'm guessing I could set one of those up pretty quick. My only requirement is that it be used if I go through the trouble of setting up. Any takers?
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

The main issue I am having is the server setup and the documentation I need for the MMO account server left a PM for ACE1`23 and have not received a reply to what exactly is required. MMO can be quite demanding on a server and I am not sure as to the hardware requirements for something like this. I know the account server runs through a python script to a MySQL db. I also need to set up a universe that is large enough yet not to big so as to avoid people from drifting apart. I have it installed on a GU server that is way overkill and now all that I need to do is get the account server up or use the source forge account server. I am working very actively at trying to get this off the ground and would hope SiroDJ would shed some light on what I need to do to get this up and running.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
MC707
Venturer
Venturer

Post by MC707 »

I hate to say this but I doubt siroDJ will help you at all. He was last active on october 2008! Hopefully someone will be able to help your awesome project.
My Machine: OS: Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 64 bit in a 500GB Maxtor HD @ 7200 RPM, Windows Vista PsyChoses Edition 2009 32 bit in a 500GB Samsung HD @ 7200 RPM CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz GPU: nVidia GeForce 9400 GT @ 1024 MB RAM: 3891 MB
Earthlings|The End of the Internet?|FreeWebsite
mccorkle
Trader
Trader

Post by mccorkle »

Hmm, if the original people that set up the MP server are awol, then I guess we'll have to reverse engineer it :lol:

I've got the trunk/win32 module pulling down from SVN onto my fresh tinyXP box right now, so when it gets done, I'll stand up ethereal and watch how the multiplayer attempts to talk (I'm assuming its soap, or some other RPCXML to the python server). I notice that the 0.5 client in linux doesn't seem to have a start screen for me to choose multi-player from -- if I recompile my linux client from svn, do I get that ability?

If the client/server communications are pretty straitforward, we can re-implement them and then check in the python and mysqldump files this time. Is there anyone in the community that I could lean on for Python coding?
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

I believe 5.0 has it . I installed it on my Linux and I used the version from Sourceforge. The repositories have a stripped down version of version 4.3. So I always use the latest version from the download page which also includes the binary for the server. I really wish the developers would have made a howto when setting up the test server so others can build on the MMO project. Loki might be able to get in touch with Ace123 since Ace was the one who set up the account server and is still running. Even if I could find a way to link up the server with his, that would work in the interim until more documentation comes along or he can set up the account database on the hosted server as well. Loki, if you are monitoring this thread, I would appreciate any leads on documentation to get this thing up and running.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
www2
Venturer
Venturer
Location: milkyway->the sol system->earth->Europe->The Nederland->Soud Holland->Leiden

Post by www2 »

@Captain{}Blood

I heft send a pm with the email and AIM adress of ace123 to you.

www2
All Your Base Are Belong To Us
mccorkle
Trader
Trader

Post by mccorkle »

Ok, I'll hold off on reverse engineering / packet sniffing it until next week then. If anyone hears back, please PM me.

Also, did anyone see my offer for a teamspeak server? Is everyone here anti-voip-during-game or something :-P
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

If you do voip, it is better to do it on a separate server. Voip requires a QoS that may interfere with the game play on the server.There are a few open source options that may work as well and are cross platform compatible. Server licensing would not be an issue then.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

Sorry that I haven't responded much -- but you can send me an email -- my best address is patrick.horn at gmail.com
I'm excited about adding your server. If you can email me the IP address we can try to add it.

Also www2 has written a master server, so I'm working on getting that to interface with the vegaserver. This will allow for a public server listing so we don't have to rely on a single person to update the redirect each time. (right now I think the master server will just be for deathmatch because campaign mode is still incomplete without many AI ships)

Also I have AIM at phrh8 (there's the little Aim-y icon at the right side of the forums) or Google talk with my gmail address from above.
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

what do I need to get the multi-system working. Right now it only loads DM as a server. I need to know what file I have to edit to make a 20 start systems and about 6 to 8 planets each with stations and such.
My Rig
EVGA 780 SLI
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

The system is specified in the mission file. When in MMO (account server) mode, it runs "mission/explore_universe.mission" like normal. When in deathmatch mode, it runs "mission/networking.mission".

The MMO takes a bit of manual editing configuration to set up an account server, but not too much--there is an account server in the "accountserver" folder inside of data, and there's a Readme that describes some info about setting it up.

I can also make your IP address the primary server for "vegastrike.sourceforge.net". Then the only change you have to make is go to "vegastrike.config", and and set the boolean "use_account_server" to true (I think under the server section near the bottom)