PU brainstorming

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

S1Genocide wrote:Exactly what I don't want. If you are going to do this include the original files for people who wouldn't like this.

The special ships I understand. For everyday equipment no fXXXing way.
So maybe I didn't express myself correctly. The idea is not to make simple aspects of the game harder, but more logical - like in a RPG, where you cannot buy the best sword right from the beginning, but you need to find your way through the various chapters until you can have an item. THEN, those items will be spread around everywhere.

Including the original files would be an extra task, for we'd need to bring out two different versions with alternate story dialogues and a couple of different scripts.

I'm planning to implement those goodies in storylines as a test, and run a poll in the PU forum, and/or here afterwards - nothing PU brings in will be there for eternity, we can take out unpopular aspects of the mod very easily.
zbyszanna wrote:Do I really have to explain this?
If you won't mind...
For me that would work only if it was applied to very narrow set of toys, so they would be perceived as bonuses, as prizes for player's greater effort.
And here we stand at a dead point. What is a high-tech equipment part, and what is a goodie? Let's say I'm introducing a super-afterburner which only can be mounted onto Demons, and hide it in a nifty campaign. Don't you want this thing for your Centurion also, cus you have the money and don't see a reason why the thing is not available to your current ship? Or to your current choice of path (e.g. Pirate, Confed).

The problem is, we have two kinds of players: Those who want to collect every item, have every ship, be at +100 with everyone.

And those who care for the experience of a (maybe good) story, living their style of gameplay (e.g. hauling cargo or killing cats) and therefor aiming on getting those items they need for their style, their path, AND not minding having restrictions playing as an outlaw, a merchant, whatever.

And talking about natures of law, or physics, or society, I don't get the point why you should be able to dock at Perry with a list of 100 killed confeds and a cargo hold full of slaves.

That's what we're working at: Things that make sense.
Although applying it to every item would be artificial and I wouldn't like to see such solution implemented.
I'm not going to make a campaign for every single item, that's too much work btw, but I'm going to create "groups" like e.g. B&S radars, heavy reactors, things like that.
Of cource, I'm only the spectator, it is your mod and you will do as you like.
As long as you're playing the mod, your criticism, no matter what kind of, is welcome.
And about that centurion thing. You would have to first get one before you blazed through galaxy. More to say, if the problem is centurion, then one should look for solution concerning the centurion
In fact, most people tend to use a Demon for the low shields can be compensated with a better accuracy and more maneuverability. The fact that you cannot get the Demon before Palan4 makes most people use Centurions, which are indeed one of the best choices in the game.
If it is an additional reward than ok. But if is used to shape game's technological flow, then (at least for me) it is bad idea.
It's not to show a technological progress, done by scientists. It's rather a become-famous-and-get-access-to-the-shipdealers-finest-selection-thing. Every campaign will be indepent from each other, so you can leave Troy and start off playing the campaign to unlock the Level 9 reactor if you like - or begin with something that suits your purse, like unlocking the Hornet fighter. There's still a lot of independence, no single static plot forcing you to do this first, then the other thing.
Material rewards like guns and etc. should be treated as side dishes, not the main one.
Exactly. The point is, when I started doing experiments with campaigns, I found it boring to have a small story end with cash. So I found out how VS uses those goodies as sugar on top, and I began locking our extra stuff. I'm almost done with that and now CONSIDERING locking some of the PR standard high-tech stuff which wasn't in the original Privateer either. However, I'm not tending to make the game unplayable by this. I will leave enough unlocked items to get a basic equipment, as well as the basic ships Tarsus, Centurion, Orion, and Galaxy.
Psycho Driver 69 wrote:Can we do something with "flight hours" to earn the chance to buy better ships or moded ships or shields?
With a lot of efforts we could, but we'd need to model rings and robots in very first case. I tend to give those items a logical lock, like Flying for AVR ships at New Detroit and get access to a brand new fighter as a reward. Or Azuma Weapons owing you a favor and giving heavy guns, which should be restricted to certain factions and institutions only.
Psyco Diver 69
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by Psyco Diver 69 »

Well what I was thinking about "robot" fighter was just a AI talon or something where it doesn't have guns and you have to keep it in your gun sights for a long enough to prove you need can use thrust enhancers or you have have to follow one through a asteroid field without getting hit with a asteroid to show you can handle like a stage 2 thrust enhancer. The "robot" ships would just be AI ships that can on do certain things
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

I would like again to say how much I do not want locked equipment and I hope at the very least it is NOT in the next version.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

It will be locked, but creating an update where everything is free won't be too much trouble. I'll make such an update available when it's about time.
S1Genocide
Trader
Trader

Post by S1Genocide »

Dilloh wrote:It will be locked, but creating an update where everything is free won't be too much trouble. I'll make such an update available when it's about time.
I would like to say thank you because in the end that is what I wanted a choice.

I was reading your main forum on the PU website and saw lots of things you are going to lock I didn't like. You have to be a pirate to get a tractor beam I mean c'mon man. Thats everyday equipment.
Dilloh
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by Dilloh »

Ah no, that was just brainstorming. In the end, you'll be able to acquire everything you want, and there will be no, or at least not important storybranches.

I've made up my mind about such an unlock-all-patch, it will only require a small modification; most likely I'll place a fixer on Hector/Troy and let you click him to have all stuff unlocked.