Hello...Been a WHILE. Building a....

Forum for discussing various mods for the VS-engine based upon Privateer. (Please play nice now, and extinguish all flaming materials.
Sincerely, The Management)
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Re: Hello...Been a WHILE. Building a....

Post by pheonixstorm »

I tossed most of my old hardware out last year. Did keep a dual core PII 350 though. Most of the old hardware I had was single and dual core Pentium Pros, 180 and 200s. Still have my rack and 4U rackmount case. Don't think I will part with those. Had to toss my 8 and 12 port rack mount network hubs and router as well since they stopped working. I spent a lot of money on ebay between 99-01 collecting hardware to put together a nice network together. Looked like christmas at night with all the lighting :)

The oldest working machine I have is a Dell GX 150 PIII 800 or maybe its a 900... either way it doesn't have much ram and still has a 3.5" floppy. Even have a pair of working external 56k modems. If I had an extra phone line I could probably setup a nice dial-up BBS. I believe you can setup both the old and new versions of synchronet bbs to run as a dial-up and telnet bbs.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

I suspect most of that old stuff is dead by now. If it isn't cracked, it's electron migration, or capacitor dielectric breakdown (or blatant spill).

Electronics don't like being stored.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
ermo
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by ermo »

Hi Wendy, nice to meet you.

Did you get your box up and running on Mint yet?

I tested these build instructions back in the Ubuntu 12.10 time frame, so if they don't work, they'll need to be adapted for whatever Ubuntu LTS base you are using. :)

Ever since the UI/DX designers went nuts and decided to throw the baby out with the bath-water, I have been partial to Xfce. It's comfortable enough that it doesn't chafe, yet minimal enough that it doesn't annoy. YMMV of course. And given that you are on LTS versions, you should be in a decent position to use either the closed AMD or NVidia drivers.

FWIW, I've currently dedicated an old-ish core2duo + NVida GS7800 256MB AGP card (using closed NVidia 304xx drivers on fedora 19) for my Priv:WCU development 'work'. I run the game windowed at 1280x960 and have a terminal and my code editor (geany) open next to it to watch debugging output. Works like a charm. :)
Privateer: Wing Commander Universe -- the continuation of chuck_starchaser's Privateer: Parallel Universe mod.