Very high speed fight

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Iain
Merchant
Merchant

Very high speed fight

Post by Iain »

I was in a Goddard and trailing another Goddard just for the heck of it. I had matched speed, I was back a few klicks, and all was good when my speed suddenly started increasing. We ended up booking along at 40,000 (fourty thousand) KpH. I decided to try and see if I could fight at that speed since relative speed between use was nill.

Energy weapons work, but torpedoes didn't at any real distance, at least not for me. They couldn't catch up with the other Goddard. He, on the other hand, could spin around and hit me with salvoes.

I survived but did not win. I escaped using SPEC (distance REALLY dissapears when SPECKing at that speed. I wonder if torps launched at that speed would really hurt a station.
OH NO! I have been wacked in the head by a Perfectly Normal Beast!

All mighty Odin, I pray to thy holiness...
Anubus! Nut! Ra!
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

You probably had your velocity matched with is when he went into SPEC. Although I don't think you'd be able to keep speeds match without SPECing yourself... weird.

Re torps, that sounds buggish, what with your relative velocities being basically nil.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

the velocities may match but the various acceleration vectors are most likely not which is what is important for missiles as there engines don't last long check the max velocity of the various missiles.Here on earth fighter pilots have to know the delta V's of there load out and match the missile to the target.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Iain
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Iain »

Miramor wrote:You probably had your velocity matched with is when he went into SPEC. Although I don't think you'd be able to keep speeds match without SPECing yourself... weird.

Re torps, that sounds buggish, what with your relative velocities being basically nil.
I was going fast enough that the stars were streaking. However, if he'd been SPECing then how could he have turned around and fired at me?

I guess the moral of all this is not to pick a fight with someone ahead if you that has torps if your going at exceedingly high velocities. Not only does the torp itself hurt, but you get the double wammy of running into it at 41,000 kph.
OH NO! I have been wacked in the head by a Perfectly Normal Beast!

All mighty Odin, I pray to thy holiness...
Anubus! Nut! Ra!
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Post by ace123 »

It has to do with the nature of the "physics" behind SPEC.

SPEC is a velocity multiplier that can obviously be enabled/disabled far faster than you can accelerate to a speed, so the AI can turn off the spec drive a it turns around.

If you turn around while in spec, you will notice that your nav computer disables SPEC as long as it is not in the same direction as your heading velocity (dot product between velocity and facing direction).

This is as opposed to the old behavior where it wasn't smart enough to turn off SPEC when it was hurting you, and you would zoom backwards unless you manually hit "a".