Waging the Aera-Rlaan war;

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Waging the Aera-Rlaan war;

Post by MostlyconfusedFPSer »

I'm stumped with a problem; I have no idea on how to make a significant change in their war or to take back a few systems... And I don't mean like killing off fighters and a few Clydesdale's.... I don't know what to do other than those two options.

I ask this because well, the Aera are losing it and they are the only ones who interest me... (plus they have REALLY badass ships -_O ) S'anyone know?
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

AFAIK the Aera shouldn't be in open war with the Rlaan, but everyone's game is different.

If you want to take a system, try entering a Rlaan system near the border with Aera space and blowing up some of the bases there. From what I've heard, Rlaan bases are pretty easy to take out.

I don't have any idea how the Rlaan will respond, since I've never seen them trying to take or maintain possession of a system before. Typical Aera response is to send in a bunch of fighter squadrons or flood a system with dozens of cruisers, whereas confed response is usually to send in a strike force of fighters, bombers, and a few capships; the Rlaan may be somewhere in between.

I also don't know anything about the capabilities of Rlaan capships, except that they have some powerful and rather strange beam weapons. You may be able to use their "fins" for some protection from those, but I'm not sure about turret placement. Also, some of them are supposed to launch fighter drones, that may be an issue. Because of the presence of icepick beams (huge damage but only 4 km range) you might want to use something with a range longer than 4 km to snipe turrets, like reaper guns or the Goddard's heavy particle beams.

On the plus side, the Rlaan capships I've seen look kind of small compared to Confed and Aera ones, so they may take fewer torpedoes.
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Well I think I've tried that before and nothing happened... But I also didn't leave the system immediately after.. I saved my game and came back later only to find that instead of the save file having myself and the system with it, it had twice as many enemy units in the system. It's odd...
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Well... I went into a Rlaan occupied system and destroyed a couple of bases they had there, I went into a different system and destroyed a relay station, and went back into the previous system only to find OVER possibly 200+ fighters/capships (or whatever those "Londor Shundi" things are)... I do believe they weren't happy about me interveining into their personal affairs. x_x
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

Yeah, powerful old civilizations do not like to be snubbed by some oxygen-breathing upstart with a single bomber. If they can't get you with one capship, they'll take the next logical step and try to get you with 200 capships.

(Remember, creativity is not the Rlaan's strong suit.)
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Well this morning I destroyed all of their forces that they had... Took a couple of hours but I got it done.. Except I couldn't get three of their fighters because they had spawned inside of a planet so my weapons couldn't reach them. But it's just those three and a ****load of debris and damaged cargo. Now I shall repeat the same process 40 more times.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

I'm not sure you'll get anywhere... I don't recall VS doing any stuff to simulate resource depletion, at least not in 0.4.3.
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

If the game doesn't simulate resource depletion then I don't see how I can help with obliterating the Rlaan.
Miramor
ISO Party Member
ISO Party Member

Post by Miramor »

If you do enough damage and a system is close to Aera space, the Aera can jump in and occupy the system.
MostlyconfusedFPSer
Merchant
Merchant

Ahh, I see. Then I guess I'll have to 'cause some damage. *dances happily wreaking havoc*
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

how does a civilization get to be "old and powerful" without any creativity?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

By surviving :wink: it is that simple has to how without the creativity remember that they are methane not oxygen breathers and therefore did not compete with us O2 types i believe that there is some rlaan history in the wiki

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
Drakna
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Drakna »

yeah but they still would have had to deal with the various disasters any civilization would have to deal with to get old and powerful. some of hose technologically created. dealing with disasters typically requires creativity doesnt it?
jackS
Minister of Information
Minister of Information

Post by jackS »

It's a gross oversimplification to say that the Rlaan have _no_ creativity. They certainly don't tend to express it with the same spontaneity or sense of urgency that humans are used to, but they are not devoid of creative powers. A key thing to recall is that, while the Rlaan live for quite a while, it often takes them quite a while to do many things.
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

Miramor wrote:AFAIK the Aera shouldn't be in open war with the Rlaan, but everyone's game is different.
Well the Area and Rlaan sure are going at it in my game. Actually the Area seemto be at war with just about everything. It's like they are tyrying to purge the universe.

I'm kinda in a seiged off Rlaan sector. There are hudreds of Rlaan craft all over the system. It's great cause I'm making good money off of it, there are all sorts of in system bounties and stuff. I just can't take any of the scanning missions because you can bet your arse that at least one of the scans is going to be "scan Rlaans Huldra". Which one!? There a hundred of them!
Iain
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Iain »

Boaal wrote:
Miramor wrote:AFAIK the Aera shouldn't be in open war with the Rlaan, but everyone's game is different.
Well the Area and Rlaan sure are going at it in my game. Actually the Area seemto be at war with just about everything. It's like they are tyrying to purge the universe.

I'm kinda in a seiged off Rlaan sector. There are hudreds of Rlaan craft all over the system. It's great cause I'm making good money off of it, there are all sorts of in system bounties and stuff. I just can't take any of the scanning missions because you can bet your arse that at least one of the scans is going to be "scan Rlaans Huldra". Which one!? There a hundred of them!
That's the way it is with me. Then again, I decided to defect and kicked the Andolian fleet I was maneuvering with.
OH NO! I have been wacked in the head by a Perfectly Normal Beast!

All mighty Odin, I pray to thy holiness...
Anubus! Nut! Ra!
Boaal
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Boaal »

Well I'm not getting caught up in the Area - Rlaan conflict. They both love me so i figure I have some strong allies. The pirates and the hunters hate me.
I;m waging war on the shaper, Blew up a relay last night. First time blowing up anything bigger than a ship lol. if there are anymore torpedoes on the system I'll probably blow up the refinery.
Digolgrin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Digolgrin »

MostlyconfusedFPSer wrote:Well this morning I destroyed all of their forces that they had... Took a couple of hours but I got it done.. Except I couldn't get three of their fighters because they had spawned inside of a planet so my weapons couldn't reach them. But it's just those three and a ****load of debris and damaged cargo. Now I shall repeat the same process 40 more times.
All single handedly??? I hereby give you the Medal of Honor for annihilating an entire army single handedly. Now the Aeran are ripe to win the war.