The story of the Great Battle

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
duffs
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

The story of the Great Battle

Post by duffs »

This is my story, in hind-sight, I warn anyone about going into battle with only a heavy class starship.

Having earned enough money, I decided I needed a career change. No more Cargo missions. Being the patriotic type, I decided to ally myself with the Confederation and help the fight the war against the Aera. I knew in the big picture that my Admonisher class starship was not going change the tide of the war. But the Aeran forces were making ground, pillaging and enslaving entire systems in their despicable thirst for control of the galaxy. The Confederation was being overrun, voiced by the fact that the news was covered with reports of the loss of countless systems to our greedy foe.

Realising the fate of the human race, my want for career change turned into need. How could I sit back and watch my fellow humans be slaughtered by an oppressive enemy? Even if I was to die, at least I could rest in the fact that I had done my bit, that I had fought alongside my friends.

Travelling to the closest starfortress I knew of, I threw every credit I had into upgrading my Admonisher to be the best fighter in its class. Next, I spent a considerable ammount of time looking at my maps of the galaxy and reading the latest news to help me find out where I was needed the most. After some hard choices were made, I decided to join forces with the Confederation on the Rlaan – Aera frontier. Although the Confederation's presence in the system I chose was limited, reports on the news pointed to an iminent attack from the Aera.

Having nothing to go back to, I took one last look at my favorite planet – earth – and headded off to the front line. The trip to my destination was largely uneventful. having upgraded my ship pirates were no match for the power I now owned. And, After travelling through 27 different systems, I arrived at my destination – Uulaeneil.

On arrival I was greeted by three mid-range Confederation capital ships and nearly 20 Admonishers. This heartened me, but inside I knew that whatever we were about to face was not going to be easy. As we neared the centre of the system, in jumped 15 Lodur class Rlaan ships accomanied by 70 Thrud class Rlaan starships. This greatly lifted morale as we knew that although we weren't the best of friends with the Rlaan, they would be instrumental in our ability to overcome any Aeran attack.

The Rlaan Lodur cruisers had only just moved into position arround the planets in the system when 2 Aeran Vitiks class capital ships and 77 Nicander class starships jumped in. I froze in my seat when I saw the size of the capital ships the enemy possessed. The enemy quickly divided into two companies and boosted towards the Confederation and Rlaan installations around the main planets of the system. And within seconds – the battle began. My heart missed a beat - Meson blasters, heavy lasers and all other weaponry lit up the sky, fear washed over me, I was flying through the middle of hundreds of lasers all firing at once and going in every direction. All three Confederation capital ships instantly engaged with their Aeran counterpart, while I and at least 12 Admonisher class starships engaged in a huge dogfight with 41 Nicander class starships. I thanked the stars for the upgrades I had bought as my sheilds held strong against the onslaught of lasers from the Nicanders. But in less than five minutes, all twelve of the Admonishers I was with were destroyed and I was severely beaten.

Turning to retreat and regroup at the Confederation capital ships I was distraught to see two of them explode in a huge fireball right before my eyes. The remaining Confed capital ship was heavily damaged. As I weaved my way towards it, I was relieved to see that the Rlaan forces were now assisting in bringing down the Vitiks capital ship. As I approached a landing bay of the last remaining Confederation capital ship I looked out the right window of my cockpit to see a well aimed beam hit me from the Vitiks. In an instant my shields were destroyed and my Admonisher blew to pieces – but not before I could eject. I was pushed away from the Confed capital ship by the blast and thrown towards the planet we were near. I was thankful for this, but just before I landed on the planet I took one last glance behind me to see two more Vitiks class capital ships jump in and the Confederation and Rlaan forces retreat in disarray.

And that is my story up until now. I'm on an abandoned planet with no credits and no ship. Every now and then I look at the news in hope of a rescue or a friendly ship passing by who I can catch a ride with. Help...
Emptiness has no edges.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Wow, great story.

If you're stuck in an escape pod, you can use time compression to get around inside the system. Target a populated planet and start thrusting there, then tap F9 repeatedly to compress time (I think the amount of compression doubles with every push). You should be to another planet in no time, and remeber to press f10 to reset TC.

Hope that helps!
duffs
Insys Pilot
Insys Pilot

Post by duffs »

Yeah, I know of TC. The problem is - I don't have money. And I can't see any way to make money. Seems I will just have to start from humble beginnings again.
Emptiness has no edges.
Halleck
Elite
Elite

Post by Halleck »

Hm.. well i suppose you could take an insystem patrol mission and use TC to complete it. Do that a few times, you might have enough to buy a cheap ship.
smbarbour
Fearless Venturer
Fearless Venturer

Post by smbarbour »

Well, you could cheat (just a little) and give yourself enough credits to buy a dodo (7500 credits). Of course, you will have to TC to a planet or base in-sys that has ships for sale. Otherwise, you may have to edit your ejector pod (Think SPEC,Jump,Thrust,Reactor,and maybe a decent weapon like a lr_pminus_beam_mkiv :twisted: Just watch where you point that thing! )
I've stopped playing. I'm waiting for a new release.

I've kicked the MMO habit for now, but if I maintain enough money for an EVE-Online subscription, I'll be gone again.
Link
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Link »

Recklessly barging off into battle just like that is NOT the way to go if you want to live, I can tell you that. A better strategy would be to do some bounty missions if you want to bring doom upon your enemies. Not only are they safer to do, they also have a nice paycheck attached upon completion.

I myself am an ally of the Aera, and I have made over four hundred million credits in less than 10 bounty missions, simply by bringing down capital vessels, mainly belonging to the merchant faction. My ship of choice is a heavily upgraded Stock-model Areus-class, with the following weapons: 2 Penetrator Guns, 1 Photon Gun, 1 Ktek Beam; the missile mounts filled with HeatSeekers and Torpedos where possible, and a Tractor Beam to haul in any cargo gone *cough* astray.

However, since you swear allegiance to the Confederation, I'm sure a Milspec-model Goddard-class will be even more effective. I too have a Goddard docked inside some hangar elsewhere in the universe, but I prefer to show my fidelity to the Aera by using my Areus.

As for taking on capships, and especially Supercapital Ships, I would recommend not doing so unless you have an army of heavy destroyers on your side. Not only are capships extremely powerful, they're also extremely durable. Merchant Capships are easier since they aren't built for heavy combat, but even an Ox is durable enough to survive all but the most heavy of assaults.

//Link - It might also be wise not to spend all of your credits on a single ship.
micheal_andreas_stahl
Elite Hunter
Elite Hunter

Post by micheal_andreas_stahl »

I this VS? I want to get this game. I want to take part in battles like that!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"

Sniper after dominating another Sniper
Team Fortress 2
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

If you are really bent on revenge, you could hack yourself a Tesla. I saw an A pair of Andolan teslas rip three Vitiks to shreds with their P minus beams, what a show. Nothing like piece through superior fire power. I Hit planet side, got my plowsare and went shopping for scrap and salvage. Damn, what a haul I made there. Dumped everything in a mule until I was tired of tractoring.
Nano_Lite
Hunter
Hunter

Post by Nano_Lite »

IF you hack a Tesla, you'll need Capship_Heavy guns to fit your mounts. The most common are fusion guns. Autotracking will also help.
BE GOOD.
Captain{}Blood
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Captain{}Blood »

Those P-Minus bems look like they do a lot of damage from long range. the Teslas wer about 140 k from the Vitiks and they were doing damageMy guess is that they may have taken longer but they had the advantage of range, The purple beams looked kool too. I WANT ONE ON MY GODDARD!!!!!!!!
providence2010
Merchant
Merchant

Post by providence2010 »

How can you even make 1million in 10 bounty missions? I possied with the Rlaan, and when I get missions against the tough stuff capital ships (two of them once) and all I get for just one of those missions is a measily 50,000 credits, and that was the only 1 time. All the others are 20,000 or way less. Is my games economy jacked up (I'm running the SVN version).
Digolgrin
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Digolgrin »

You got any screenies of that battle? I feel sorry for the confeds who sacrificed their lives to defend Terra from the Aeran menace. I can see it now: Aerans attacking Earth, destroying all that you loved, confeds unable to stop them... We will never forget those who died in that battle...
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Most of the times it just gets too hectic to remember to tap the "i" key for a sceenie :lol: although standing off a ways lets you get some nice shots but watch out for the stray beams.

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2