Something truly weird that I discovered during a patrol

A home for tales of personal killcounts and engagements between vast armadas, as well as the odd recounting of that time you saw an alien capship taking out a mining base while trying to parallel park.
Ajezla/NightOwl
Explorer
Explorer

Something truly weird that I discovered during a patrol

Post by Ajezla/NightOwl »

Okay, so I was doing a patrol mission in a rlaan sector of space earlier that had a nebula in the sector. The nebula was one of my patrol targets, so naturally I had to get nice and close to check it out.

The nebula itself is weird looking enough, it looks mostly like a big, brownish spike in space :? What was REALLY weird was that there was a rlaan target near the nebula. A target that didn't have an image to load. "Wut iz dis?" I said to myself :idea:

I realized that the target was INSIDE the nebula......so I went into it, hoping that it wouldn't turn out to be solid and cause me instant death :| I found the little target inside the nebula....and......it......was NOTHING! :shock: It was a little empty object, just spinning around inside the nebula :shock: WTF izzzz diiiissss? :?:

The rlaan structures are weird enough in themselves......I mean......just look at a rlaan fighter barracks, refinery, mining base, or *gasp* the GLORY that is a rlaan starfortress (seriously, THOSE things look absolutely wicked 8) ). But.....this......thing of nothingness inside the nebula.......was truly weird. :shock:
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Re: Something truly weird that I discovered during a patrol

Post by Primordial »

Yeah, Nebulas are really weird as they stand. Nebulas are goddamn huge, so it doesn't make sense as to why they are they way they are. Chalk it up to coder / placehlder art/entities? Although I think they need a full redesign. They're the type of things that would span whole sectors or more. Problem is they're less objects and more actual sections of space. I think it's a similar thing to the asteroids: whoever implemented the nebula and asteroids seemingly had no idea how sodding huge either of them could get.

As for Rlaan stuff: yeah it's pretty cool. Not the irritating placeholder cube-box art.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Primordial wrote:Yeah, Nebulas are really weird as they stand. Nebulas are goddamn huge, so it doesn't make sense as to why they are they way they are. Chalk it up to coder / placehlder art/entities? Although I think they need a full redesign. They're the type of things that would span whole sectors or more. Problem is they're less objects and more actual sections of space. I think it's a similar thing to the asteroids: whoever implemented the nebula and asteroids seemingly had no idea how sodding huge either of them could get.

As for Rlaan stuff: yeah it's pretty cool. Not the irritating placeholder cube-box art.
Actually, nebulas are best the way Freelancer did them, but our founding father Mr. Hellcat V felt it was bad taste reproducing the techniques of another game (as in, very un-original), so we never implemented nebulae, waiting for an "original idea" on the matter.

I've had the original idea in the end... but it's of rather complex implementation.
Oíd mortales, el grito sagrado...
Call me "Menes, lord of Cats"
Wing Commander Universe
Primordial
Merchant
Merchant

Post by Primordial »

klauss wrote:
Primordial wrote:Yeah, Nebulas are really weird as they stand. Nebulas are goddamn huge, so it doesn't make sense as to why they are they way they are. Chalk it up to coder / placehlder art/entities? Although I think they need a full redesign. They're the type of things that would span whole sectors or more. Problem is they're less objects and more actual sections of space. I think it's a similar thing to the asteroids: whoever implemented the nebula and asteroids seemingly had no idea how sodding huge either of them could get.

Actually, nebulas are best the way Freelancer did them, but our founding father Mr. Hellcat V felt it was bad taste reproducing the techniques of another game (as in, very un-original), so we never implemented nebulae, waiting for an "original idea" on the matter.

I've had the original idea in the end... but it's of rather complex implementation.
Yeah. They're an odd thing. What was Freelancer's approach?
X3 did them as a graphical screen filter, but a lot of people ended up modding them out because it was kind of irritating. I kept them for authenticity's sake but didn't hang around in them much.
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Experiencing a nebula. I've been dreaming about it and eventually got around searching the topic.

Approaching a nebula:
http://io9.com/5881005/hubble-videos-re ... o-a-nebula

Inside a nebula (and something about brown stars...)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... p81M#t=11s
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

gonzo wrote:Experiencing a nebula. I've been dreaming about it and eventually got around searching the topic.

Approaching a nebula:
Pretty much what I had in mind for them, only you'd only see them moving when jumping from system to system, because they'd be dynamically rendered but still (non-moving) backgrounds.
Wing Commander Universe
Ajezla/NightOwl
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Ajezla/NightOwl »

This still doesn't explain what the object IN the nebula is. Its not a ship, it shows up as white :? This little object is even a scannable object for patrols and clean sweeps, and shows up as rlaan owned. Wut?! :shock: Is it a place holder for the nebula itself, or is it some kind of weird joke thing? :?:
Tattorack
Trader
Trader

Post by Tattorack »

gonzo wrote:Experiencing a nebula. I've been dreaming about it and eventually got around searching the topic.

Approaching a nebula:

Actually the way it shows the nebula would be quite wrong ^^
Its a lot more awesome than that; When you 100ly away from the nebula you see it how it looked 100 years ago, so the closer you come the more recent the image of the nebula you're seeing. So what you get is like a fast-foreward animation of the nebula's developement ^^
God is a bacteria!

"Because it submerges into a marine enviroment I'm going to call it the safely-go-under-the-water-without-detection device"
-Leonard of Quirm
klauss
Elite
Elite

Post by klauss »

Tattorack wrote:

Approaching a nebula:

Its a lot more awesome than that; When you 100ly away from the nebula you see it how it looked 100 years ago, so the closer you come the more recent the image of the nebula you're seeing. So what you get is like a fast-foreward animation of the nebula's developement ^^
You know... you're right!

That's a cool concept. Gotta remember it.
Wing Commander Universe
Tattorack
Trader
Trader

Post by Tattorack »

klauss wrote:
Tattorack wrote:

Approaching a nebula:

You know... you're right!

That's a cool concept. Gotta remember it.
Thanks! ^^
I came up with that revelation when I was watching Star Trek, and saw the Enterprise-D zipping past a whole bunch of nebulea.
God is a bacteria!

"Because it submerges into a marine enviroment I'm going to call it the safely-go-under-the-water-without-detection device"
-Leonard of Quirm
gonzo
Bounty Hunter
Bounty Hunter

Post by gonzo »

Tattorack wrote:Actually the way it shows the nebula would be quite wrong ^^
Well spotted!
I'm now looking forward to another sleepless night thinking of the speed of light and Big Bangs and stuff. :shock:
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.